IGNORED

Putting new ROM games on my Intellivision Ultimate Flashback

I cannot seem to figure out how to download roms to my ultimate flashback unit. It doesnt seem to work using the instructions provided. No wireless interface it says and when i use the usb flash drive method it doesnt do the initial write to the usb drive where it lists all your games and such. Help, lol.  Thank you to anyone that can help, getting frustrated, lol!

I can get into the Linux screen by hitting F4, I know that much (I am not good with any of this computer stuff to be honest), my only access port is the usb port out of the back of it, i have to swap out the keyboard to put the usb flash drive in. I am sure a lot of my issues may be purely based on computer ignorance, lol.  Thank you so much for your reply, I feel a little lost and intimidated in these forums. So If i create my own retropie/roms/intellivision folders it may just go right to them and fill in my files. I am going to try that, that sounds like that could work. It came loaded with games already on the emulation station, MAME, Colecovision, nintendo, gameboy, it is loaded, but no way it is full. At the main Linux (?) screen it shows a 74% number. Thanks again for your help, I really do appreciate it.

According to Retropie instructions, if you put your rom files in that usb folder, Retropie will copy the rom files from the usb drive to the corresponding folder on its main storage. 

Alternatively you can try a usb hub to plug in both a keyboard and usb drive.  Run 'mc' at the Raspian/Linux command line and copy the files manually using Midnight Commander.

Edited by mr_me

Oh how I wish I had taken up Byte Knight's offer to update the "out of the box" Flashbacks but apparently something called an Amico gave me tunnel vision and now I've missed out.  Sparse parts and lack of confidence won't allow me to attempt this myself.  #ByteKnight please come back to us and make us whole.I Love U Ily GIF by i-love-you

• Like 3

On 7/26/2023 at 7:26 AM, P. J. Smith said:

Learning some things about my unit, turns out it is not an ultimate flashback from byte knight. It is still fantastic, but the instructions that apply to the other units wont really work with my model. arrrgh, lol. 

If it's running Retropie, to use the automatic usb method, the thumbdrive should be formatted in fat32 or exfat.  If it's not Retropie, what's it running?  Could also be an older Retropie version.

• Like 1

Is it hard to format a thumb drive? I have never done that before. It runs retorpie, not sure of the version though. If i go to the linux screen is there a way to show which version I am runnning?  Thank you very, very, much for your help, I truly appreciate it!

Edited by P. J. Smith

On 7/28/2023 at 9:57 AM, P. J. Smith said:

... It runs retorpie, not sure of the version though. If i go to the linux screen is there a way to show which version I am runnning?  Thank you very, very, much for your help, I truly appreciate it!

The retropie setup script will tell you the version number for both Retropie and Raspbian/Linux.

What kind of rom files are you copying over, what's the file extension?  If you don't have a usb hub you can open up the case to access the other usb and ethernet ports.

On 7/27/2023 at 10:47 AM, YerOut said:

...Sparse parts and lack of confidence won't allow me to attempt this myself.  #ByteKnight please come back to us and make us whole.

I think Raspberry Pis are available now.  The other thing you need is a usb intellivision controller adapter.  You don't have to put them in a flashback case.

• Thanks 1

I don't have used your Retropie variation, but ROMs should be located in RetroPie/roms/Intellivision or something like that.

Use "cd" to navigate each directory.

Use "ls" to list directory.

Notice case is important. It won't recognize uppercase instead of lowercase or vice-versa.

https://retropie.org.uk/docs/Transferring-Roms/

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, P. J. Smith said:

Where would I find the retropie setup script? This is what my main linux screen says. I typed dir into the command lime and this came up at the bottom…thanks for all your help!!!!

Should be in the Retropie menu in the main interface.  Current Retropie documentation could apply to older versions.

https://retropie.org.uk/docs/Updating-RetroPie/

Does Midnight Commander (mc) not work?

Edited by mr_me

MC does work, i just have no experience ever working with that and I am a little hesitant to mess with something I am unfamiliar with (not a huge computer person). A lot of this is my own fault due to lack of knowledge on any of this. I am trying though, learned a lot this week about all of this thanks to the fine folks in this forum!

Midnight Commander is just a file manager i.e. navigate folders, copy/move files.  It's not going to tell you where the files should go.  You can use it to have a look at the folder ~/RetroPie/roms/intellivision. You should see your existing rom files there and is where you would copy more intellivision game rom files.  The overscan on your TV is cutting off some of the text.

Also note that the Emulationstation interface only shows rom files with specific file extensions.  It's possible that the automatic usb method copies files over but don't show up in the main interface.

Edited by mr_me
  • Thanks 1

I went into the MC mode and saw the rom file listing for the intellivision section of the emulation station, now if i can just figure out a way to get the rom game I have off of the usb flash drive and into this rom section of the intellivision folder of emulation station. I see where it says copy along the bottom line of the screen but i dont see a way to paste a file from another source. Like I mentioned previously, I am not a computer person. I feel like I am inching towards a solution though, lol! Fear plays a large part in this, I dont want to accidentally move something and screw up the whole thing, I wouldnt put it past me, lol. Thanks for your help!!!

The copy command also pastes; it has to without a system clipboard.  Typically what you do is put the folder with your files in one panel, the destination folder in the other panel, select your files and press the copy key.  The folder in the other panel becomes the destination folder by default, which you can change in the copy dialog.

• Thanks 1

So hit f4 to get me to the linux page. Place the usb drive in the port (i got a usb hub so i can do both it and the keyboard) that has my new rom game, then type mc to get me to the master commander mode. I have ot to the part where i show all my roms in emulation station. Now how do i access the rom file that is in my usb and place it in that file? I feel i am close. Thank you very much!

CF55B1CD-8F3B-4E24-9C57-D1B254C6239C.jpeg

It wont transfer using the usb drive method is the whole reason i am having to learn some other way to do it. I cant believe it is this complicated to transfer a 17 kb file. There is no listing for my usb flash drive that i can find on mc or for my rom file. I figured once i got here i could just open my flash drive and copy it and place it in the emulator roms file and i would be good. The other two methods it is showing to transfer roms i cant really seem to wrap my head around. Ugh. I appreciate all your help, truly. Just wish I was a smarter person when it comes to this stuff.