IGNORED

Pricing & Interest Check Thread - Atari Jaguar Edition - VVG Joystick Controllers, Mk. II

doubledown

Ok, so I've finalized all of the necessary details regarding the recent Atari Jaguar arcade stick controllers that I've designed/built...and I'm going to start making these available for any who are interested.  I figured I'd start this new thread for this, and I will start this all off with the:

Atari Jaguar Edition - VVG Joystick Controller, Mk. II "variants"

...as they are the smallest, and most affordable models that I can/will offer...and thus, presumably, the models most desired, by most.  There are some choices that will be available with regards to hardware, artwork and the likes...which I will detail below:

Model 1:

Atari Jaguar DX+ Edition - VVG Joystick Controller, Mk. II - $345.00 USD, + shipping

SeFL1H.png

** PacTec PT-10, 11" x 8", molded ABS, w/ Aluminum plate(s), enclosure

** Seimitsu LS-32, 8-way (square gate...circular and octagonal gates are separately available) microswitch joystick, w/ Sanwa 35mm Black ball knob.  I also created/installed a 2.25mm thick drop-mount plate, that allows me to install the joystick's dust washer below the control panel...so that its not a nuisance

** VVG Jaguar PCB, w/ Keypad, w/ C&K D6R key-switch pushbuttons (14)...Grey

** Sanwa OBSF-24, 24mm key-switch pushbuttons (3)...Red, w/ Arcade Shock classic concave caps (3)...Red

** Bourns 24P (1/4" shaft) mechanical encoder, w/ Arcade Adventures molded reproduction Atari Tempest knob

** C&K F-Series, 2PDT, latching/indicating pushbutton switch, (Black/White)...used to enable/disable the rotary/spinner control

** Rear mounted cord cleats for cable management

** Custom Atari Jaguar Controller inspired CPO/Artwork

---Options for this model:

---Keypad keys - Grey or Black

---Controller cable - OEM Atari 7', or Amphenol cable (up to 14')

Model 2:

Atari Jaguar DX Edition - VVG Joystick Controller, Mk. II - $315.00 USD, + shipping

kPR7fS.png

**Same specifications as the DX+ Edition above (Model 1), with the exception of the Spinner/Rotary Knob

**Davies Molding knob (non-skirted), vs. Arcade Adventures "Atari Tempest" reproduction knob

Model 3:

Atari Jaguar Edition - VVG Joystick Controller, Mk. II - $255.00 USD, + shipping

(NO PICTURE AVAILABLE, AS I HAVE NOT YET BUILT ONE OF THESE WITHOUT THE SPINNER/ROTARY CONTROL)

**Same specifications as the DX+ Edition (Model 1), and DX Edition (Model 2) above, with the exception of no, Spinner/Rotary control.  So there would be no Encoder & Knob, and the pushbutton switch to enable/disable the spinner/rotary control, mounted above the pushbuttons...would also be deleted.  

Also note...the option of an OEM Atari Jaguar controller cable, and the Arcade Adventures "Tempest" reproduction knobs...are only available while their supplies last.  I'm not sure how many of each of these items are available.  I'm not saying that there are only 1 or 2 of each of these...I'm just stating that these items/options & parts/pieces, are not currently in production, so I'm at the mercy of their available existing supplies.  But the Davies Molding knob, and the Amphenol cables are current production items, thus theoretically no limit on these.  

One other option, I would make available with regards to these VVG Joystick Controller, Mk. II models...would be the CPO artwork, and overall color scheme.  I will also offer a "RSoD" (Red Screen of Death) edition of each of these if someone wanted...which color-scheme-wise...would look something like this:

Ry1nI9.png

(note pictured above, is my Atari Jaguar Arcade ProController (RSoD) Edition - VVG Enhanced Controller...used just to show off this different color scheme option/look)

...wherein the CPO would be red, the joystick and pushbuttons would be black, and the keypad keys could be black, or yellow, or some combination therein (like above, or similar).  This is just a theme (color-scheme) option/variant, which would be built with the same specs of the Atari Jaguar Edition - VVG Joystick Controller, Mk. II "variants" listed above.  I've not yet built one like this, but I could digitally mock up the layout, if anyone were interested.  

Of course I have also created a few other larger, and more elaborate models/variants, with more/features options, in larger enclosures, and different hardware...but like I said, as these Atari Jaguar Edition - VVG Joystick Controller, Mk. II "variants", are the smallest, most affordable models I can/will offer...I figured I start off to see what the interest is in these.  Also note, that any of my other models are more expensive than these, due to extra hardware costs, and more machining, assembly, and wiring times.  Just as an example...to take all of the same hardware in one of these Atari Jaguar Edition - VVG Joystick Controller, Mk. II "variants", and install it into a larger, more robust aluminum enclosure, such as the Hammond 14" x 8.5" aluminum enclosure, would add approximately $50 to the prices listed above.  

So this is just to get an idea, of how many people are interested in 1 or more of these: Atari Jaguar Edition - VVG Joystick Controller, Mk. II "variants", now that everything, including the pricing is detailed.  If interested, now that the pricing has been finalized, please post a reply with the quantities and variants that you would be interested in, so that I can get some sort of idea.  Thanks.

• Like 3

I personally would be looking for “the works” — dual joysticks (switchable for Total Carnage and Llamatron), a rotary spinner, full keypad, rapid fire for the shooters like Zero 5 and Raiden, and the eight pro controller button layout. Is that something you’d be interested in building?

• Like 3

I am not sure if this intended to be used flat on a table/lap while seated or mounted to something at an angle while standing, but if the former then I would think that to prevent fatigue in the arm and shoulder that people may want to rest their wrist/forearm on the front section of the unit (before the primary buttons & Joystick).

Thus from an ergonomic standpoint the choice of location for the rotary spinner seems an odd one as it looks like it would be in the way, thereby preventing anyone who wanted to from being able to rest their left forearm/wrist on the front section of the unit while operating the Joystick.   

9 hours ago, K3V said:

I personally would be looking for “the works” — dual joysticks (switchable for Total Carnage and Llamatron), a rotary spinner, full keypad, rapid fire for the shooters like Zero 5 and Raiden, and the eight pro controller button layout. Is that something you’d be interested in building?

Its possible.  I just figured that I would start the open offerings with these, these sort of "standard" smaller models, if anybody was interested...seemed to be some people posting interest for them in my other thread.  Mostly, as with this smaller enclosure, there really isn't much else that can be done, other than the 1 joystick, a keypad, and 3 buttons...plus a Spinner...or not (and potentially a right-side joystick/mirrored layout).  Once you get into the larger variants (especially the 17" and 20" enclosures), they can allow for much more customization, thus can require many back-and-forths e-mails with the buyer, selecting hardware components, artwork, and finalizing all of the details...and then of course, much more time to build.  So I can/will definitely offer larger, more elaborate controllers, like some of the others that I've built myself recently...but like I said...I thought I'd start with these smaller models first to see if there was any interest.  Its my experience (from reading many, many, forums posts here, and elsewhere) that the majority of people are interested in smaller controllers, due to a lack of "hobby space" perhaps.  But there are a few of us, (myself and my buddy for example) who are ok with, and/or actually prefer much larger controllers.  But of course everybody has their own needs and wants. 

I'll send you a PM, and we can get start to get an idea what you're looking for.  

4 hours ago, Stephen Moss said:

I am not sure if this intended to be used flat on a table/lap while seated or mounted to something at an angle while standing, but if the former then I would think that to prevent fatigue in the arm and shoulder that people may want to rest their wrist/forearm on the front section of the unit (before the primary buttons & Joystick).

Thus from an ergonomic standpoint the choice of location for the rotary spinner seems an odd one as it looks like it would be in the way, thereby preventing anyone who wanted to from being able to rest their left forearm/wrist on the front section of the unit while operating the Joystick.   

Personally, I (and I believe most others) would use something like this on my lap, or on a table...I'm not sure what one would mount it to, and at what sort of angle...for use in any sort of standing position, but I guess anything is possible.  I personally prefer a larger enclosure (14" x 8.5" or larger), which can provide enough control surface to fully support my palms/hands when playing...but as mentioned previously, many, many people, seem much more concerned with size (smaller preferred), and price (lower preferred), than ergonomics...thus this "smaller" controller option being made available. 

The location of the spinner on this smaller model...is simply, the only place that it can be installed in this particular controller model, and offered simply, as an available option, for those who would want an all-in-one solution (joystick and rotary) Jaguar controller...who again, prefer a smaller, space-saving form factor.  Personally, I cannot effectively manipulate a rotary control with my left hand, as I prefer to operate such a control with my right hand.  The other 3 Jaguar controllers that I built for myself, I did not install a spinner at all, as I decided that if I build a spinner enabled controller for myself...it will be a dedicated controller, with the spinner on the right, and the pushbuttons on the left.  

Again, ergonomically, I agree that the spinner's location is less than perfect (but again...offering it as a smaller all-in-one controller option), but it in no way, has interfered with manipulation of the joystick, with how anybody I know manipulates a joystick.  When myself, or my friends manipulate a joystick, on a lap/table-top arcade-type controller like this, we all seem to rest the left side, of our left hands, on the controller's surface, to the left of the joystick (not below), and manipulate the joystick, basically, with our finger tips.  I've never personally seen anybody manipulate a joystick with the flat/bottom of their palm, down on the control panel, below the joystick, wherein their palm would come in contact with the spinner...but again...everybody is different.  Now on the right side, when operating the pushbuttons, my friends and I, we all do rest the flat/bottom of our palms on the control surface, below the buttons, but not on the joystick side.  If there is someone who does in fact rest the flat/bottom of their left palm, down below the joystick when playing, then I would definitely suggest, to not add the spinner control option to a controller of this size, or, opt for a larger sized enclosure, which would offer more control surface real estate, so that the spinner control could be installed such that, a collision, or interference, would not occur.  

• Like 1

At this point...there is no set time-frame, or deadline.  I still need to "price out" the other larger, more elaborate models I've made recently...including the Total Carnage controller...so that I can post pricing on these.  I just started with the easiest/smallest ones first...pricing wise.  

I got the pricing calculated for my:

Total Carnage (C.C.) (or (M.M.)) XL Edition - VVG Experience+ Controller - $370.00 USD, + shipping

qEr0Ua.png

** Hammond Mfg., 20" x 11.5", aluminum enclosure (braced and weighted)

** (2) iL EuroJoystick 2, 8-way microswitch joysticks (Sg. -2-1/8), w/ Cherry (ZF) D44X microswitches, w/ bat levers (short), red

** VVG Jaguar PCB, w/ Keypad, w/ C&K D6R key-switch pushbuttons, (14) red

** iL PSL-C pushbuttons, w/ Cherry (ZF) D41X microswitches, (3) black, (1) red

** Total Carnage inspired CPO graphics

---CPO Character Artwork - Captain Carnage, or Major Mayhem

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Jag_Mag said:

I'd buy one but the shipping will kill me in Canada bro,love what you've done though.

...rough estimate (would need to verify weight)...shipping would probably be around $60-$70 USD, for USPS Priority Mail International to Canada, for a Total Carnage controller...less for smaller/lighter model.  

23 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Hope illegal clones of the controller won't be sold along with the bootlegs!

I offered him a port of an arcade game Stephen,he can choose the game.I'm purchasing one of his controllers no matter what.

Edited by Jag_Mag

Outstanding. I'm in asap for the

Total Carnage (C.C.) (or (M.M.)) XL Edition - VVG Experience+ Controller - $370.00 USD, + shipping

Later, I'll grab a Model 1 and hopefully that RSoD version. It's beautiful!

Looking for the "All in" models too.

On 7/28/2023 at 2:05 PM, doubledown said:

qEr0Ua.png

** Hammond Mfg., 20" x 11.5", aluminum enclosure (braced and weighted)

** (2) iL EuroJoystick 2, 8-way microswitch joysticks (Sg. -2-1/8), w/ Cherry (ZF) D44X microswitches, w/ bat levers (short), red

** VVG Jaguar PCB, w/ Keypad, w/ C&K D6R key-switch pushbuttons, (14) red

** iL PSL-C pushbuttons, w/ Cherry (ZF) D41X microswitches, (3) black, (1) red

** Total Carnage inspired CPO graphics

---CPO Character Artwork - Captain Carnage, or Major Mayhem

jizz in my pants GIF

• Haha 2

Atari Jaguar Arcade ProController (RSoD) Edition - VVG Enhanced Controller - $335.00 USD, + shipping

Ry1nI9.png

** Hammond Mfg., 14" x 8.5", aluminum enclosure (braced and weighted)

** Seimitsu LS-32, 8-way (square gate...circular and octagonal gates are available) microswitch joystick, w/ Sanwa 35mm Black ball knob.  I also created/installed a 2.25mm thick drop-mount plate, that allows me to install the joystick's dust washer below the control panel...so that its not a nuisance

** VVG Jaguar PCB, w/ Keypad, w/ C&K D6R key-switch pushbuttons, (14) black / yellow

** Sanwa OBSF-30 pushbuttons, w A.S. classic concave caps, (3) black, C / B / A

** Sanwa OBSF-30 pushbuttons, (2) black L / R

** Sanwa OBSF-24 pushbuttons, (3) black Z / Y / X

** Atari Jaguar "Red Screen of Death" inspired CPO graphics

---Color Scheme - Red Screen of Death (as pictured), or a more conventional "Jaguar" theme...with black joystick, grey or black keypad buttons, red pushbuttons, and basically a blacked-out CPO with red text

***Note - the above pictured model, built for myself, has installed a VVG / SUZO HAPP C45 joystick, that I buy/build/modify for my liking/preferences.  For anybody else, I would install a more standard Seimitsu LS-32 joystick (included in the price listed above).  Its not to say I can't offer this customized joystick for someone else, but it is expensive to start with (especially when considering minimum order dollars and shipping costs), plus all of the extra parts I install onto it, and all of the fabrication work I do to it, to customize it...to make it feel like, how I like.  A joystick like this, is about $45 more than a standard Seimitsu LS-32, but it is, and thus feels/manipulates like, a Western joystick, versus a Japanese joystick, for those who are familiar with the differences.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Holy crap. Anybody need a kidney for a reasonable price?

You can take some solace in the fact that my Atari Jaguar Arcade ProController (RSoD) Edition - VVG Enhanced Controller, is more affordable than an original Atari ProController, based on current ebay prices!

And continuing on with pricing, I've calculated the pricing for my:

NBA JAM T.E. P1/P2 Edition - VVG Enhanced Controller (and it's 3 other color variants) - $345.00 USD, + shipping

bBBMjG.png

** Hammond Mfg., 14" x 8.5", aluminum enclosure (braced and weighted)

** Seimitsu LS-32, 8-way (square gate...circular and octagonal gates are available) microswitch joystick.  I also created/installed a 2.25mm thick drop-mount plate, that allows me to install the joystick's dust washer below the control panel...so that its not a nuisance

** VVG Jaguar PCB, w/ Keypad, w/ C&K D6R key-switch pushbuttons, (12) blue

** iL PSL-C pushbuttons, w/ Cherry (ZF) D41X microswitches (2) - Pause / Option, orange

** iL PSL-C pushbuttons, w/ Cherry (ZF) D41X microswitches (3) - C / B / A, white, red, blue

** NBA JAM T.E. inspired CPO graphics

---Color Schemes - NBA JAM T.E. P1/P2 (blue), NBA JAM T.E. P3/P4 (red), NBA JAM T.E. P1/P2 "Flyer" (blue), NBA JAM T.E. P3/P4 "Flyer" (red), or "Jaguar" themed...something like this:

c0XtUE.png

...to be finalized with CPO artwork

***Note - the above pictured model, built for myself, has installed a VVG / SUZO HAPP C45 joystick, that I buy/build/modify for my liking/preferences.  For anybody else, I would install a more standard Seimitsu LS-32 joystick (included in the price listed above).  Its not to say I can't offer this customized joystick for someone else, but it is expensive to start with (especially when considering minimum order dollars and shipping costs), plus all of the extra parts I install onto it, and all of the fabrication work I do to it, to customize it...to make it feel like, how I like.  A joystick like this, is about $45 more than a standard Seimitsu LS-32, but it is, and thus feels/manipulates like, a Western joystick, versus a Japanese joystick, for those who are familiar with the differences.  

Additionally/optionally...any of these controllers...without the (2) arcade pushbuttons as the Pause and Option buttons...and instead featuring only the (14) smaller keypad keys, like the RSoD controller above...would be $25 cheaper...so $320.00 (vs. $345.00)...due to less hardware costs, less machining time, less assembly time, and less wiring time.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2023 at 7:24 PM, doubledown said:

Ok, so I've finalized all of the necessary details regarding the recent Atari Jaguar arcade stick controllers that I've designed/built...and I'm going to start making these available for any who are interested.  I figured I'd start this new thread for this, and I will start this all off with the:

Atari Jaguar Edition - VVG Joystick Controller, Mk. II "variants"

...as they are the smallest, and most affordable models that I can/will offer...and thus, presumably, the models most desired, by most.  There are some choices that will be available with regards to hardware, artwork and the likes...which I will detail below:

Model 1:

Atari Jaguar DX+ Edition - VVG Joystick Controller, Mk. II - $345.00 USD, + shipping

SeFL1H.png

** PacTec PT-10, 11" x 8", molded ABS, w/ Aluminum plate(s), enclosure

** Seimitsu LS-32, 8-way (square gate...circular and octagonal gates are separately available) microswitch joystick, w/ Sanwa 35mm Black ball knob.  I also created/installed a 2.25mm thick drop-mount plate, that allows me to install the joystick's dust washer below the control panel...so that its not a nuisance

** VVG Jaguar PCB, w/ Keypad, w/ C&K D6R key-switch pushbuttons (14)...Grey

** Sanwa OBSF-24, 24mm key-switch pushbuttons (3)...Red, w/ Arcade Shock classic concave caps (3)...Red

** Bourns 24P (1/4" shaft) mechanical encoder, w/ Arcade Adventures molded reproduction Atari Tempest knob

** C&K F-Series, 2PDT, latching/indicating pushbutton switch, (Black/White)...used to enable/disable the rotary/spinner control

** Custom Atari Jaguar Controller inspired CPO/Artwork

Model 2:

Atari Jaguar DX Edition - VVG Joystick Controller, Mk. II - $315.00 USD, + shipping

kPR7fS.png

**Same specifications as the DX+ Edition above (Model 1), with the exception of the Spinner/Rotary Knob

**Davies Molding knob (non-skirted), vs. Arcade Adventures "Atari Tempest" reproduction knob

Model 3:

Atari Jaguar Edition - VVG Joystick Controller, Mk. II - $255.00 USD, + shipping

(NO PICTURE AVAILABLE, AS I HAVE NOT YET BUILT ONE OF THESE WITHOUT THE SPINNER/ROTARY CONTROL)

**Same specifications as the DX+ Edition (Model 1), and DX Edition (Model 2) above, with the exception of no, Spinner/Rotary control.  So there would be no Encoder & Knob, and the pushbutton switch to enable/disable the spinner/rotary control, mounted above the pushbuttons...would also be deleted.  

Also note...the option of an OEM Atari Jaguar controller cable, and the Arcade Adventures "Tempest" reproduction knobs...are only available while their supplies last.  I'm not sure how many of each of these items are available.  I'm not saying that there are only 1 or 2 of each of these...I'm just stating that these items/options & parts/pieces, are not currently in production, so I'm at the mercy of their available existing supplies.  But the Davies Molding knob, and the Amphenol cables are current production items, thus theoretically no limit on these.  

One other option, I would make available with regards to these VVG Joystick Controller, Mk. II models...would be the CPO artwork, and overall color scheme.  I will also offer a "RSoD" (Red Screen of Death) edition of each of these if someone wanted...which color-scheme-wise...would look something like this:

Ry1nI9.png

(note pictured above, is my Atari Jaguar Arcade ProController (RSoD) Edition - VVG Enhanced Controller...used just to show off this different color scheme option/look)

...wherein the CPO would be red, the joystick and pushbuttons would be black, and the keypad keys could be black, or yellow, or some combination therein (like above, or similar).  This is just a theme (color-scheme) option/variant, which would be built with the same specs of the Atari Jaguar Edition - VVG Joystick Controller, Mk. II "variants" listed above.  I've not yet built one like this, but I could digitally mock up the layout, if anyone were interested.  

Of course I have also created a few other larger, and more elaborate models/variants, with more/features options, in larger enclosures, and different hardware...but like I said, as these Atari Jaguar Edition - VVG Joystick Controller, Mk. II "variants", are the smallest, most affordable models I can/will offer...I figured I start off to see what the interest is in these.  Also note, that any of my other models are more expensive than these, due to extra hardware costs, and more machining, assembly, and wiring times.  Just as an example...to take all of the same hardware in one of these Atari Jaguar Edition - VVG Joystick Controller, Mk. II "variants", and install it into a larger, more robust aluminum enclosure, such as the Hammond 14" x 8.5" aluminum enclosure, would add approximately $50 to the prices listed above.  

So this is just to get an idea, of how many people are interested in 1 or more of these: Atari Jaguar Edition - VVG Joystick Controller, Mk. II "variants", now that everything, including the pricing is detailed.  If interested, now that the pricing has been finalized, please post a reply with the quantities and variants that you would be interested in, so that I can get some sort of idea.  Thanks.

I’m really interested in these 😍. Are you planning to sell any ? And if you are please  msg me and we can agree on a prices that you will be happy with 😊

I will be waiting for your valuable reply!

thank you

Yes, these will be for sale, and the purpose of this thread is to gauge interest in them, as well as to post pricing for the different models/options.  With all of the models that I've built, and am currently building, I will have used up all of the custom PCBs that I designed/purchased for these controllers...so I will have to order more of them...based, in part, on how many people are looking to order.   

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jag_Mag said:

Can upload a video of you moving it around and being general rough with it so we can see how well made these are?

Not really...I don't record/post any videos anywhere.  Maybe @Machine could post a video of himself dropping his Jaguar controller down a flight of stairs, or smacking it with a hammer... if he gets a chance!  😁

In all seriousness though...all I could really tell you is that, as I only install legitimate branded arcade control components...the controls themselves (joystick(s) and pushbuttons) are going to be able to handle as much punishment, as legitimate arcade controls can handle (and I don't mean Arcade1Up, or AtGames, or similar..."home-use" "arcade cabinet" controls).  Mine are the same industrial arcade controls that are installed into real, for-profit, public environment installed, arcade cabinets, that are used by enthusiastic gamers, and abused by vandals. 

The other ancillary controls, such as potentiometers, switches, and keypad key switches, are all brand-name components (NKK, Bourns, C&K, and similar), like those used by brand-name electronics manufacturers, that one might find in Sony, Panasonic and other brands' products, such as home audio and video components, electronic games, and the likes. 

Related to the enclosures themselves, the larger Hammond aluminum (braced and weighted) and steel, enclosures...are stronger, more robust, and usually heavier, than most home-use arcade sticks ever made/sold.  Of course the smaller plastic PacTec enclosures (with aluminum plates), are not quite as heavy/robust (enclosure-wise)...because they are after all...plastic enclosures...but, still built with real arcade components. 

I can tell you that everything is mechanically fastened, generally, with low-profile socket head cap screws, hex drive flat head screws, or carriage bolts (#6-32 & #8-32), and zinc-plated steel, internal nylon or serrated flange, lock-nuts.  Nothing is epoxied, super-glued, or hot-glued internally...and the only item that this is "adhered," is the CPO artwork (with 3M adhesive sheeting)...and also the rubber feet on the bottom of the PacTec enclosures...but not on the Hammond enclosures, those "steel washer, embedded into rubber" feet, are mechanically fastened. 

This is the only "internal" picture I have, in my online library (that I currently have access to), of one of the controllers that I've previously built...to give you some idea of my "internal assembly":

nJQOxH.png

The large, aluminum c-channel in this particular model, was specifically (and only) installed, so that the joystick's mounting screws, would not protrude through the control panel...as is authentic, to the original North American Pac-Man upright arcade cabinets.  While Midway originally chose plywood for this purpose...I opted for aluminum.    

Assuming, one would be manipulating/operating one of my controllers "normally, and/or even "reasonably aggressively," with human hands...there is very little chance one could "break" a control, or damage the enclosure.  Now if one decides that they may need to throw one of these across the room in a fit of rage because the computer cheated on them...then I would strongly urge one to buy one of the metal enclosure variants...and be be prepared to repair or replace, whatever the controller ends up hitting....the wall...a window...your TV...your spouse/loved-one...or whichever.

Also keep in mind too, that damaged/worn/broken "parts," are replaceable, for a mere fraction of the price, of the overall controller.  If a button were to fail, it can pretty easily be replaced for about $3 - $5.  I always stress the fact, that my controllers, are not throw-away models.  Most all of the components, generally have a published electrical and mechanical lifespan listed by the manufacturer.  For example the Cherry (ZF) microswitches I use (in Western joysticks & pushbuttons), have a mechanical lifespan rated for 10,000,000 operations. 

True story...years, and years, and years, ago (before I ever dreamed of building my own arcade controllers), I bought a HanaHo HotRod arcade controller for my PC, for use with MAME...which at the time was built with all HAPP controls.  I've seriously had that controller for about 20 years now, and I've only replaced somewhere between 3 to 5 of the pushbutton microswitches...@ $2 a piece...that's it.  Granted that is with only myself, and my friends using it...but not bad for 20+ years.  

• Like 5

The controller is a beast. You will not find a better-built controller. I have zero regrets. It has some good weight to it. I would not be worried at all about the built quality or durability.

I plan on getting the dual stick when I can swing it. It feels like Total Carnage needs a dual stick in order to fully enjoy it.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Machine said:

It feels like Total Carnage needs a dual stick in order to fully enjoy it.

I played a bit of Total Carnage with normal Jaguar controllers before I finalized the design of my Twin-Stick controller for it...just to verify all of the button functions and the likes...and I cannot imagine, enjoying this game (or getting very far in it), with a standard Jag controller.  Either with the "shoot the direction you're facing" concept with the B button, or using the keypad, or even with a ProController...but again...I'm a self-admitted controller snob!

• Like 1