IGNORED

Pricing & Interest Check Thread - Atari Jaguar Edition - VVG Joystick Controllers, Mk. II

doubledown

1 hour ago, doubledown said:

I played a bit of Total Carnage with normal Jaguar controllers before I finalized the design of my Twin-Stick controller for it...just to verify all of the button functions and the likes...and I cannot imagine, enjoying this game (or getting very far in it), with a standard Jag controller.  Either with the "shoot the direction you're facing" concept with the B button, or using the keypad, or even with a ProController...but again...I'm a self-admitted controller snob!

I really can’t wait to buy your Twin-Stick controller and the other new controllers that are coming 😍. Really so excited 

2 hours ago, doubledown said:

I played a bit of Total Carnage with normal Jaguar controllers before I finalized the design of my Twin-Stick controller for it...just to verify all of the button functions and the likes...and I cannot imagine, enjoying this game (or getting very far in it), with a standard Jag controller.  Either with the "shoot the direction you're facing" concept with the B button, or using the keypad, or even with a ProController...but again...I'm a self-admitted controller snob!

Ew Reaction GIF by Martha of Miami

9 hours ago, Jag_Mag said:

Can upload a video of you moving it around and being general rough with it so we can see how well made these are?

You can generally beat up any new gear for quite a while and it would work for a looooong time, at least as far as could be shown in video. It’s not good for it, and will take toll no matter how well made, but fancy gear like this will hold up better. I only broke one 5200 stick in years of hard play (thanks, Joust) and never broke a Jag controller.  Couple 2600 ones, a 7800 due to the crappy buttons (only rarely used it for games that required two buttons).

Then there’s friend who dismantled a joystick with trigger button, and installed it in modular panel for Tron in ROM cabinet. First light cycles round, I slammed it forward and it disintegrated. 

These will outlive you, and if you invite King Kong for a session, parts appear easily replaceable, which is point of swank rig. 

The materials/parts description says more than a rough vid ever could.

Edited by Editorb
  • Like 2

Ok, I got the pricing calculated for my:

Atari Jaguar ProController L+ DX - VVG Enhanced Controller - $495.00 USD, + shipping

BGm7NQ.png

** Hammond Mfg., 17" x 11.5", aluminum enclosure (braced and weighted)

** iL EuroJoystick 2, 8-way microswitch joystick (Sg. -2-1/4), w/ Cherry (ZF) D44X microswitches, w/ threaded shaft (short), w/ Sanwa 35mm ball knob (black)

** VVG Jaguar PCB

** Sanwa OBSF-24, 24mm pushbuttons - keypad array, (2) yellow, (12) red

** iL PSL-C pushbuttons, w/ Cherry (ZF) D41X microswitches, (6) red, (2) black

** Bourns 24P (1/4" shaft) mechanical encoder, w/ Davies Molding knob

** C&K F-Series, 2PDT, latching/indicating pushbutton switch, (Black/Yellow)...used to enable/disable the rotary/spinner control

** Rear mounted cord cleats for cable management

** Atari Jaguar inspired CPO graphics

---Options for this model:

---Keypad pushbuttons - Some alternate color combination of black, and/or grey, and/or red, and/or yellow

---Controller cable - OEM Atari 7', or Amphenol cable (up to 14')

Note, that the price listed above, reflects this controller, fully "featured/optioned," as it is pictured/detailed above. 

If some features/options were changed, or deleted...such as removing the Spinner/Rotary control, and/or installing the smaller D6R keypad keys soldered directly to the PCB (vs. the (14) 24mm arcade pushbutton array), and/or installing less than 8 "ProController" pushbuttons, the price would be lower, of course...due to less hardware to purchase, less machining time, less assembly time, less wiring time, and less testing time.  

• Like 5

Ok, I got the pricing calculated for my:

Raiden Edition - VVG Experience Controller - $410.00 USD, + shipping

zcs3S5.png

** Hammond Mfg., 14" x 8.5", aluminum enclosure (braced and weighted)

** VVG/SUZO HAPP Super 8-way microswitch joystick (Sg. -1), w/ Cherry (ZF) D42X microswitches

** VVG Jaguar PCB, w/ Keypad, w/ C&K D6R key-switch pushbuttons, (12) black / white

** iL PSL-C pushbuttons, w/ Cherry (ZF) D41X microswitches, (2) white (Pause / Option), (3) red, blue, black (C / B / A)

** C&K F-Series, 4PDT, latching/indicating pushbutton switch, (Black/White)...used to swap pushbutton order between - "Jaguar" (C / B / A), and "Raiden" (B / C / A)

** Fabtek Raiden inspired CPO graphics

---Options for this model:

---Controller cable - OEM Atari 7', or Amphenol cable (up to 14')

• Like 1

On 8/3/2023 at 11:11 AM, Jag_Mag said:

Can upload a video of you moving it around and being general rough with it so we can see how well made these are?

Doubledown's controllers are EXCEPTIONALLY made - he a genius at building controllers for any console - ALL of his controllers are very well made - I own many of his creations.

• Like 2

For anybody interested, I currently have (Qty. 1) of:

Total Carnage (C.C.) XL Edition - VVG Experience+ Controller

qEr0Ua.png

...ready, and available for immediate sale/shipping. ($370.00 USD, + shipping)  

This is the Captain Carnage variant, and it has installed an Amphenol controller cable, which extends out from the rear of the enclosure, approximately 13'.  Allowing you to sit across the room from your console, without the use of any extra extension cables...unless your room is huge!  

Please note...this is not the only one of these that I will ever build...it just happens to be the first one that I built...and thus is currently ready/available.  If interested, send me a PM and provide your shipping address...so that I can quote a shipping price once I get it packaged for shipping.  

• Like 2

On 7/24/2023 at 7:21 PM, K3V said:

I personally would be looking for “the works” — dual joysticks (switchable for Total Carnage and Llamatron), a rotary spinner, full keypad, rapid fire for the shooters like Zero 5 and Raiden, and the eight pro controller button layout. Is that something you’d be interested in building?

Same here. I don't always pay hundreds of dollars for my controllers, but when I do, I pay hundreds more to get everything. I don't need rapid fire, but I don't mind having it either, even if it adds to the price a bit. If it helps, whenever you build this ultimate model, I'll take two.

• Like 1

FYI...the Total Carnage controller is in fact sold...not to worry, more can be made (if ordered), this was just the first one that was built.  

In other new...even though I doubt anybody else will care about this one (other than me, and maybe a few like-minded weirdos), I did finalize the pricing for my:

Wolfenstein 3d Edition - VVG Keyboard Controller - $310 USD + shipping

ssGVTf.png

** Hammond Mfg., 16" x 8" x 2", steel enclosure (flat-top)

** VVG Jaguar PCB, w/ Keypad, w/ C&K D6R key-switch pushbuttons, (6) red / white

** Sanwa OBSF-24 pushbuttons, (10) Dark Hai & Red, w/ (7) A.S. classic concave caps

** Wolfenstein 3d inspired CPO graphics

Of course a "generic" Jaguar variant, or a specific Doom, or Alien vs. Predator variants could also be built/offered.  Pricing could be slightly different/affected by the number of pushbuttons, keypad buttons, and extra wiring required, if different from this version.  On a Doom variant for example, I would include (7) 24mm pushbuttons for the weapons selections...making their access faster/easier during gameplay vs. using the small keypad keys.  

Additionally, I am looking into a auto-fire circuit option, for some of these Jaguar controllers.  I already have a few small revision changes that I want to make to my PCB to make the wiring for certain options (2nd Total Carnage joystick, rotary controller) easier...so I may want to make additional modifications for the wiring of this auto-fire feature too, if I can get it figured out, how I'm satisfied with it.  So I'll need a little time to verify that I can work this out, then modify my PCB design with the changes that I want to make, and get samples made up to verify them.  

• Like 2

FWIW, I think you asked somewhere which buttons people would want autofire on. For me, it'd just be the 3 original buttons. I can't think of anywhere I'd need it on the keypad/pro controller buttons.

[Edit] Actually, IIRC, you only really need it on 'B', since it's only really useful on Raiden and Zero5.

Edited by cubanismo

On 8/10/2023 at 1:33 PM, doubledown said:

FYI...the Total Carnage controller is in fact sold...not to worry, more can be made (if ordered), this was just the first one that was built.  

In other new...even though I doubt anybody else will care about this one (other than me, and maybe a few like-minded weirdos), I did finalize the pricing for my:

Wolfenstein 3d Edition - VVG Keyboard Controller - $310 USD + shipping

ssGVTf.png

** Hammond Mfg., 16" x 8" x 2", steel enclosure (flat-top)

** VVG Jaguar PCB, w/ Keypad, w/ C&K D6R key-switch pushbuttons, (6) red / white

** Sanwa OBSF-24 pushbuttons, (10) Dark Hai & Red, w/ (7) A.S. classic concave caps

** Wolfenstein 3d inspired CPO graphics

Of course a "generic" Jaguar variant, or a specific Doom, or Alien vs. Predator variants could also be built/offered.  Pricing could be slightly different/affected by the number of pushbuttons, keypad buttons, and extra wiring required, if different from this version.  On a Doom variant for example, I would include (7) 24mm pushbuttons for the weapons selections...making their access faster/easier during gameplay vs. using the small keypad keys.  

Additionally, I am looking into a auto-fire circuit option, for some of these Jaguar controllers.  I already have a few small revision changes that I want to make to my PCB to make the wiring for certain options (2nd Total Carnage joystick, rotary controller) easier...so I may want to make additional modifications for the wiring of this auto-fire feature too, if I can get it figured out, how I'm satisfied with it.  So I'll need a little time to verify that I can work this out, then modify my PCB design with the changes that I want to make, and get samples made up to verify them.  

Bored Wait GIF by FirstAndMonday

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well no real news to update...other than I'm still here.  Been busy with work the last couple of weeks, and I'm hoping to get back to verifying/finalizing the rapid-fire circuitry, and PCB revision changes that I want to make, this upcoming weekend.  

• Like 5

Doubledown, I'm hoping to buy one of your controllers in the future, when finances are more stable.  As far as the rapid-fire goes, do your models offer a switch to determine the speed of the rapid fire?  I'm about as far from an expert as possible when it comes to these things.  But in a past discussion here, there was talk of different speeds of rapid fire for different games.  It probably doesn't make any material difference to a filthy casual like me, but how would that work here?  Is there a way to change the speed of the rapid fire?  Sorry if I'm overcomplicating things.

On 9/3/2023 at 2:56 PM, Kaboomer said:

Definitely interested in one of these. Curious about ordering process....

As of right now I'm working on a few items including a PCB revision change.  Once I've got everything finalized, I will take orders from anybody looking to buy one.  At that point, when I'm ready, the "process" will be to let me know what you're looking for, (same as something I've already built, or similar with modification(s), or something completely different), after which I can quote a price.  Once all of the details are finalized, a 50% down-payment will be required (can be 100% if preferred)...after which the parts will be ordered and the controller will be built...and then its normally a 1-2 week turn around time, depending on in-stock/item availability.  

14 hours ago, PFG 9000 said:

Doubledown, I'm hoping to buy one of your controllers in the future, when finances are more stable.  As far as the rapid-fire goes, do your models offer a switch to determine the speed of the rapid fire?  I'm about as far from an expert as possible when it comes to these things.  But in a past discussion here, there was talk of different speeds of rapid fire for different games.  It probably doesn't make any material difference to a filthy casual like me, but how would that work here?  Is there a way to change the speed of the rapid fire?  Sorry if I'm overcomplicating things.

The circuit I'm working on will have an on/off switch to enable/disable the auto-fire circuit, as well as an external/accessible potentiometer w/ knob, to adjust the rate of fire.  That's the goal, right now.  

1 hour ago, Editorb said:

It occurred to my beleaguered noggin that I have XArcade dual joystick (and separate trackball). I added keyboard encoder (to USB) to stick to use it with MacMAME. Is there a way to use it with Jag via some adapters or some such?

Its probably possible to do, but I personally don't know of any such adapter that is available.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, tripled79 said:

Any news? Exciting news?

Nothing new at this point.  I've been very busy recently, and haven't had any real time to work on anything unfortunately.  I can say that I'll be extremely busy with work until about the end of October, and then hopefully I can get back into working on some controllers.  

• Thanks 3

• 5 months later...