IGNORED

Two new Intellivision consoles coming from BBG Entertainment

Rev

According to MGG in these videos, it looks like a new “flashback” style console is being planned from BBG Entertainment. 

As well as an FPGA based Intellivision console. 

Thoughts?   Can they break away from the Amico stigma?

A recent headline of BBG Ent games coming up:

https://www.gamespress.com/BBG-UNVEILS-LEGENDARY-CLASSICS-FOR-MODERN-CONSOLES-IN-REIMAGINED-SUMME

• Like 4

I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'll tell you right now, if it ends up being a crowdfunded thing it'll fail.

Only hope to break free from the stigma would be to actually produce, sell, and deliver.

• Like 3

And please make it accessible by mere mortals.  Genesis Mini 2 and Commodore 64 Max I wanted but no buying options were available.

Had to get my Turbografx mini from Japan.  Didn't realize how lucky we were when we could just go into a Bed Bath and Beyond and there were 100's of mini consoles stacked and quite cheap. 

For this I am also cautiously optimistic.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rev said:

According to MGG in these videos, it looks like a new “flashback” style console is being planned from BBG Entertainment. 

As well as an FPGA based Intellivision console. 

Thoughts?   Can they break away from the Amico stigma?

A recent headline of BBG Ent games coming up:

https://www.gamespress.com/BBG-UNVEILS-LEGENDARY-CLASSICS-FOR-MODERN-CONSOLES-IN-REIMAGINED-SUMME

FPGA means? 

1 hour ago, Crash7 said:

FPGA means? 

FPGA is an acronym for Field Programmable Gate Array. FPGAs are semiconductor ICs where a large majority of the functionality inside the device can be changed; changed by the design engineer, changed during the PCB assembly process, or even changed after a product is deployed.

Just means the they would try to replicate the functionality of the Intellivision in hardware instead of software emulation.  In this case they would replicate and enhance.  Finally, Blast Processing on the Intellivision.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Allan said:

Can we see a Dave Chandler Intellivision III or even IV based on the original plans from back in the day?

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/339768-new-intellivision-console-coming/?do=findComment&comment=5110119

They are proposing an enhanced Intellivision (link above).  It would be more capable than the Intellivision III that was prototyped back in 1983, so I'm not in favour of calling it an Intellivision III.  They can call it something else like the Intellivision Plus.  One problem is an enhanced Intellivision has no software using the enhanced features and would depend on homebrewers supporting it. Another is that it increases the work and development cost.

Apparently the Intellivision III was developed at APh.  The system Chandler's group at Mattel was working on was based on a completely different architecture.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

At this point, I am hopeful but cautious and will reserve my excitement for when it ships.  I wish them the best in their efforts.

Between now and then, this new console will need to differentiate itself from the other options available (user features, price, technical capabilities).  It will have to compete against software emulation option (jzIntv on a PC, jzIntv on Raspberry Pi in a Flashback shell) as well as other FPGA-based products (MiSTer, Analogue) that are available today as well as any new options that appear in the future.

• Like 3

Well, looks like this may already be being retracted.  Plug & play, yes.  FPGA, not so much.

Damn shame.  I don't need another thing sitting on the shelf that just plays games I already have, I want an FPGA damnit!  Adding support for other cartridges broadens the appeal and means it's not limited to the comparatively small INTV community.

Damn shame.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MGG said:

Well, looks like this may already be being retracted.  Plug & play, yes.  FPGA, not so much.

Damn shame.  I don't need another thing sitting on the shelf that just plays games I already have, I want an FPGA damnit!  Adding support for other cartridges broadens the appeal and means it's not limited to the comparatively small INTV community.

Damn shame.

I would still buy the plug and play probably but I really want the cartridge system.

7 hours ago, mr_me said:

One problem is an enhanced Intellivision has no software using the enhanced features and would depend on homebrewers supporting it. Another is that it increases the work and development cost.

That, to me, is the death knell of this project.

6 hours ago, Lathe26 said:

It will have to compete against software emulation option (jzIntv on a PC, jzIntv on Raspberry Pi in a Flashback shell) as well as other FPGA-based products (MiSTer, Analogue) that are available today as well as any new options that appear in the future.

Actually, it will have to compete with all other platforms available to home-brewers (e.g., NES, VCS, ColecoVision, Play Date, etc.), most of which, if not all, include the benefit of an emotional attachment fueled by nostalgia -- something this new one won't have.

dZ.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MGG said:

Damn shame.

Plug n Play is no longer in planning stage?   

Any public statement on it?

John Alvarado talking about the console and BBG cant do one of them or something?

Ignores the Amico refund scam. Wants to finish Amico where Tommy left off?  

Oh well….Im going back to Mattel Intellivision.  Haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rev said:

IMG_0781.jpeg

IMG_0783.jpeg

I'm not sure if anyone still believes a physical Amico is ever coming out,I personally would be amazed. 

And it sucks if that's the case,and that they waste the energy on keeping anyone else from producing a working Intellivision console instead.

Edited by wolfy62
  • Like 3

I follow but try to stay out of the Amico discussion. I did find it disappointing that they have been silent on so many fronts even after they claim more information is coming but somehow decided this was worth commenting on almost instantly. 

• Like 4

Still very confused about all of this back and forth, and what BBG actually can or can't do with Intellivision hardware/software. John's comments didn't really make it any clearer to me. 

1 hour ago, Rev said:

IMG_0785.jpeg

To actually fulfill Intellivision's obligations, in addition to honoring the promised refunds, they would need:

• 100 retail Amico systems for the Fig/Republic investors.
  • 6,000 retail Amico systems for remaining users and investors ($100 per system to go to Sudesh until $675,000 paid back).
  • Several million dollars in repayments to creditors, which by 2022 had already accrued substantial ($1M+) interest.
  • $100K+ to settle the leased furniture contract.

Based on the above and their current situation that hasn't changed very much in at least two years, the only path forward feels to be selling of assets, liquidation of others and officially declaring the Amico console canceled. Even then, short of bankruptcy I don't know how else they can absolve future creditor disputes.

Edited by MattPilz
  • Like 2

I am disappointed that IE believes that what we are (were?) trying to do is not covered by the existing agreement. I'm just a consultant. I'm staying out of it. I hope that if the current agreement does not allow an FPGA core to play these licensed games, that it can be modified to allow it. 

Regardless, the original plan was to create an Intellivision 3 emulator with development kit to be released at the end of the year. This would allow people to make games for the enhanced system. We'll see what happens. 

I'll believe BBG's game packs will come out on Amico as soon as I see those guaranteed refunds they can't guarantee...And when monkeys wearing cowboy hats start flying out of Hell, sporting Amico T-Shirts,  all the while screeching, "Wouldn't that be something?" and throwing Corn Hole bean bags on harassed passersby...

It is funny he's so silent about the refunds, yet so vocal about BBG...He even starts off a very disrespectful answer with "With respect"...

Hey Rev!

You might consider changing this topic Title to:

Two new Intellivision consoles Might (or Might Not) be coming (Someday) from BBG Entertainment

• Haha 3

It is really unfortunate that an initiative like this ends up dragging the entire Amico clown circus along. Now for sure there will be months and months of endless drama.

One may or may not like what William/BGG were trying to do, but as a fellow member of this community it pains me to see him and Mike already being nick named and disrespected. Won’t mention names, but it makes me sick.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1