IGNORED

C0pperdragon GTIAdigitizer (for Atari 8bit)

scorpio_ny

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve installed the GTIAdigitizer in an Atari 800XL and 130XE and I have to say it’s by far the best video output I’ve been able to achieve to date.

I’ve done many of the regular DIY mods for things like S-video, removing resistors, changing resistors and all the suggestions people make. They all made improvements but it was still a disappointing image.

I think tried VBXE and whist another step-up in quality, still just wasn’t where I wanted it.

As a last ditch effort, I decided to give GTIAdigitizer a go. To be honest I wasn’t expecting too much as how good could it be with only two wires right? Wow I was blown away. The image is almost perfect and the installation is probably the simplest of all the solutions I tried.

I have no affiliation with GTIAdigitizer other than being an exceptionally happy customer and recommending to others.

• Like 4

I installed it also, in a 65XE, a couple of weeks ago. It does have a fantastic output. Certainly on a par with Sophia 2's DVI. 

Thing is whilst I get having these installed in a few machines and having the one external Pi device where you switch the latter over justifys the costs overall, I still can't get over the fact you have said pi unit hanging the back which needs a separate psu itself. And for one A8 it works out very expensive. Don't get me wrong, it looks great. 

I still prefer having the video upgrade inside and powered by the a8 and part of the machine. Sophia 2, VBXE and ugv are still my go to upgrades in these areas. Sure, ugv can't compare to gtiadigitizer or Sophia 2, but it can still look great, and at a cost around £25, and a fairly simple install, it's great. 

Incidentally Sophia 2 is also a preference over gtiadigitizer as itreplaces the original gtia chip completely - an Atari chip which as I've learnt can die or start to fail at any time. Plus it has a few enhancement features.

I am glad I have the gtiadigitizer as an option and that I've tried it though. Lots of people will love it, but it's only cost effective if you plan on having a few of your A8's running with it. 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

On 30. 12. 2023 at 11:47, macsonny said:

Ahoj všichni,

Jeden z nich jsem dříve nainstaloval do Atari 800XL a byl jsem velmi ohromen kvalitou obrazu. Natolik, že jsem si pro své Atari 130XE koupil další GTIAdigitizer.

Dříve jsem měl ve svém 130XE VBXE a SAVO, ale nikdy jsme nebyli 100% spokojeni s kvalitou obrazu. Odstranil tyto jednotky a poté nainstaloval digitizér GTIA odpájením pomocí GTIA, vložením 40kolíkové patice, poté výměnou GTIA do digitizéru GTIA a poté připájením do jednoduchého konektoru RCA samice. Všechno úplně stejné, jako jsem to udělal pro svůj 800XL.

Problém je v tom, že 130XE se nyní nespouští – obrazovka je prázdná a nevydává ani zvuk spouštění čmeláků. Ve skutečnosti jsem vyměnil celý čip GTIA a GTIAdigitizér za svůj Atari 800XL pro případ, že by to byla vadná deska nebo čip, ale ne, 130XE se stále nedaří zavést. Dal jsem eh GTIA digitizér a GTIA z 130XE do 800XL a fungovalo to dobře, takže to není vadný GTIA nebo GTIAdigitizér.

Jediné, co mě napadá, je, že jsem úplně odstranil RF modulátor z 130XE. To by byla možná příčina problému. Odstranil jsem to při instalaci kombinace VBXE/SAVO a Atari fungovalo dobře, ale zajímalo by mě, jestli to s tím může mít něco společného?

Nějaké další nápady?

Přiložen obrázek instalace. Ignorujte visící dráty – jsou z instalace SAVO a nejsou k ničemu připojeny.

dík

Macsonny

IMG_4316.jpeg

Hello
I may be wrong but when installing VBXE the oscillator and other components located under Freddie are removed. In my opinion you will have to put them back when you have removed the VBXE. You will probably have to return the other removed/replaced components. Correct me if I am wrong.

19 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Sure, ugv can't compare to gtiadigitizer or Sophia 2, but it can still look great, and at a cost around £25, and a fairly simple install, it's great. 

Totally agree with this, have fitted a few now for myself and friends, with a decent cable and monitor/TV the output is very good ROI

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 12:06 PM, macsonny said:

Just to make things really weird, I get this screen even when the 130XE is powered down. Applying a little bit of pressure around the FREDDY causes the pattern to change.

What I want to stress is that POWER is turned OFF!!! However, I think there might be power applied to the board as the chips are getting warm. A short maybe?

Also getting a "click" on sound when powering up.

IMG_4362.jpeg

IMG_4363.jpeg

IMG_4364.jpeg

Ended up fixing it. When I put in the VBXE I remover a few resistors/capacitors and also a clock crystal. I completely forgot I did this so when removing the VBXE I should have replaced those components - which I obviously didn't!

I've since replaced the components and the machine is now working beautifully with the GTIAdigitizer installed. Took a bit of work but it was my own bad memory that let me down - thank goodness for the Atari community who pointed out my obvious error!

• Like 4