IGNORED

New 2600 game "Bob and the Alien Fire Flies"

8bitsinthebasement

Nice effort for your first game, i like the concept. It's fun to play but also very hard right from the start. It would be nice if the game started easier and progressively gets harder while playing. Maybe make the missiles shorter at the beginning and make them longer after reaching a certain score (every 10 or 20 points or so).  You could also use the playfield as a barrier and the ball as enemy later in the game.

Keep up the good work!

• Thanks 1

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Bob and the Alien Fire Flies on tonight's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I like your game; simple and solid!  My son recently found your videos on YouTube and it sparked an interest in programming for both he and I.  My first gaming console was a hand-me-down Atari 2600, when I was a kid in the mid 90's.  Over time I forgot about it, but your videos inspired me to bring it back out and share it with my kids.  We've been purchasing new (old) games for it as well as messing around with bAtari Basic and 6502 Assembly.  Thanks for inspiring us and reigniting a long lost interest!  Keep up the games and the videos!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, arwanderer said:

I like your game; simple and solid!  My son recently found your videos on YouTube and it sparked an interest in programming for both he and I.  My first gaming console was a hand-me-down Atari 2600, when I was a kid in the mid 90's.  Over time I forgot about it, but your videos inspired me to bring it back out and share it with my kids.  We've been purchasing new (old) games for it as well as messing around with bAtari Basic and 6502 Assembly.  Thanks for inspiring us and reigniting a long lost interest!  Keep up the games and the videos!

Thank you, comments like this are why I started my Youtube channel in the first place. I wanted to give back for all the help I had gotten in forums and on youtube over all he months and years that I had spent fooling around with electronics and broken systems. To be honest it's humbling and it makes my entire week to know that my bAtari basic series has had an effect on both you and your son (I'm sorry about that BTW;)) You see programming (even in basic) was something that I never thought I could do until I just decided to give it a really good try (I had heard for so long that it was so hard that I had convinced myself that it was beyond me). Yet I found that it wasn't as hard as I'd thought. That's why I started the series. Now I'll admit that bAtari is far from being a piece of cake but it's not as difficult as I'd imagined and I wanted to share that with anyone who had an interest in writing their own games. I've seen your blog post and I guess that great minds must think alike because I too have just started my own adventure into assembly language. However in my case I'm concentrating on the 6809 (I'd like to convert my Bob game to run on the Tandy Colour computer 2). I'll admit that it is very daunting and much harder than I thought that it would be, but that's all part of the fun ey? But I've not finished the bAtari series yet, so there are plenty more videos on the way.

• Like 1

Your series has definitely been fun to watch and very educational.  We've used many of your examples to make our own programs in bAtari.  The playfield destruction video was great, and we used that code to make a little demo of an alien spacecraft destroying a city.  Good luck on your assembly projects (perhaps another good series in the making?).  We look forward to more in the bAtari series and thanks again!

• Like 2