IGNORED

The Super Mario Bros. Movie is returning to theaters for National Cinema Day! :D

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Glad to come back and say I was dead wrong and the movie was amazing!! :)

I thought he did a great job as Mario. Not once throughout the film did I ever stop and think, "That's Chris Pratt".

Fun film overall. Very simplistic and predictable, as expected from a kids film, but there's so much nostalgia fodder, fanservice and easter eggs from Nintendo's entire history that I had a great time watching it.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Shawn said:

Glad to come back and say I was dead wrong and the movie was amazing!! :)

Well, this makes me smile. :)

And, hey, I was wrong too: It should soon pass $1.35 billion worldwide to become the fifteenth highest grossing movie of any kind of all time at the box office (not accounting for inflation).

What a truly stunning achievement, and totally deserved imo. :D

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

SMBPoster2.thumb.jpg.ecf70543d8f93222002b80d8ba33c146.jpg 

SMBPoster3.thumb.jpg.6aa20941385bc0da8cbddd88e7273375.jpg

https://gonintendo.com/contents/24664-the-super-mario-bros-movie-to-return-to-theaters-for-national-cinema-day

We can all go see The Super Mario Bros. Movie at the cinema while we have one last chance, especially if we want it to have a chance of keeping its spot as the top grossing movie of the year. :D 

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

The Super Mario Bros. Movie broke a new record in Japan recently and became the highest grossing Universal movie of all time there:

Sweet. :D

It is also just about to cross $1.36 billion worldwide according to both The Numbers and Box Office Mojo, which I would expect it to reach by the end of the weekend.

It seriously isn't going to go much higher overall, but maybe the upcoming National Cinema Day in America will add enough to get it up to $575 million there, which would be nice to end on in America, plus whatever it finishes with in the rest of the world, maybe $785 million-ish. :)

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

https://www.the-numbers.com/news/254910830-Theater-counts-Blue-Beetle-rebuffs-an-onslaught-of-newcomers-to-become-widest-release

Weird call on some of those imo, given that The Super Mario Bros. Movie still remains the second highest grossing movie in America this year (behind by like a quid), still the highest grossing internationally (and it's holding onto that for a bit longer), and still the highest grossing movie overall worldwide this year (will almost certainly finish in second place though), yet they added more theatres back in for The Little Mermaid, which I think still most people count as a box office flop that either lost some money or barely broke even. Smells a bit like pandering to Disney much, or possibly a last ditch attempt to get it over the hump.

Maybe it's just my personal take, but I think they'd have been better off giving some of The Little Mermaid's theatres to the movie that clearly a bazillion more people actually cared and almost certainly still care more about. I also feel like maybe Guardians of the Galaxy should have gotten more attention than "fan favourite" The Little Mermaid too, seeing as it was more popular this year also.

Still, The Super Mario Bros. Movie is back in 1,451 theatres, which is a nice big jump second only to The Little Mermaid, so hopefully it will pull in a decent amount of extra cash and ideally enough to get it to $575 million domestic (an ask, for sure, but possible).

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

Mermaid wasn't bad, but the non-pc thing I'll say here is, it barely broke even because of minority washing, not sure if that's a term and don't care to look.

Disney has taken DEI way way too damn far and they're alienating everything at this rate other than those looking to be a victim or those wanting to use perspective victims, the social justice whiners basically looking to do injustice in the form of justice.  And this shows, saw a story today, Disney right now their stock reporting just came out and flop after flop, losing disney+ people, pissing off star wars fans, trolling their classics, trying to screw with kids minds and the rest has their stock at a 9 year low and it's still dropping.  It's a drop hard enough it's beyond some adjustment, beyond any pandemic free money streaming adjustment either.  They've royally shit the bed so it makes sense to push as hard as they can on mermaid to get back as much as they can given what happened with various other anger pivoting farts in the wind they fouled with dumping on toy story(lightyear), strange world, a bit with onward, re-scripting/typecasting of a wrinkle in time, the manalorian shenanigans with carano, etc.

They're slowly driving away groups and groups of people and don't care as they think they'll win in the end, it's just a slower burn version of what those fools did with bud light that persists.  But hey if you think it's bad now, go look up all the coverage and press talks have been around snow white, especially the really dumb ongoing comments of the snow white actress herself has been doing.  They'd be better off canceling that one, but they're doubling down.