IGNORED

The Super Mario Bros. Movie is returning to theaters for National Cinema Day! :D

1 hour ago, Wayler said:

I think Silent Hill is a genuinely good horror mystery film with a gorgeous visual style and interesting story.

I was excited to hear that there is a sequel in early development with the same director attached to it.

But that is about the only good movie I can come up with, if we are not counting the "so bad it's good" category (The winner is Street Fighter of course).

The Prince of Persia movie was also a decent blockbuster, but it was probably easier to come up with a good action/adventure movie in that setting anyway.

I forgot that they made a Prince of Persia movie. I think that's a concept that isn't inherently flawed as a game -> movie adaptation, as well, along with Uncharted.

I am especially terrified of the Metal Gear and Death Stranding movies that are being worked on, mostly because while both are theoretically sound as movie concepts, there are a lot of ways those can be messed up, especially with Metal Gear. We'll see.

I remember that someone somewhere was trying to turn fucking Tetris of all things into a movie, so who knows.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

I forgot about that one too, but I did watch it and it went over oddly pretty well as an adventure/action movie, better than a good majority of game to movie stuff.  I've yet to see Uncharted, didn't think it was on streaming but just realized it's finally dropped on netflix, score! :D  There was also a one off (dark horse?) fairly good sized color graphic book from Uncharted too which I heard was pretty nice.

• Like 1

I know many people dislike the recent Tomb Raider movie, but I actually thought it was pretty good, and a strong enough start to what could be a few movies in a series with the same actors and so on. I can't remember if they said it was getting a sequel or if they'd cancelled any new movies there.

Also, I really enjoyed Detective Pikachu.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

I enjoyed watching it in 3D too. And I'm looking forward to watching the Mario movie in 3D also. Because VR is seriously good for 3D movies, I want more movies to continue to support 3D. Hopefully the new Avatar film will help encourage that again for a bit. But, seriously, it's crazy that most of these companies can't see the future very well, where it would make so much sense to support 3D in as many movies as they fight now, for the inevitable day when they'll be able to cash in on that and release them all again for watching in VR.

• Like 1

Detective Pikachu is fantastic, I need to pull that disc out and watch it again.

For me, game movies the best was the first Mortal Kombat and it even sat at #1 for like a month in theaters which is nuts, and then the pair of older Tomb Raiders.  For cheesy terribly bad it's actually good to watch shlock the old Mario Bros movie fits, but also one I figure few will remember to mention in here, Wing Commander.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

I enjoyed watching it in 3D too. And I'm looking forward to watching the Mario movie in 3D also. Because VR is seriously good for 3D movies, I want more movies to continue to support 3D. Hopefully the new Avatar film will help encourage that again for a bit. But, seriously, it's crazy that most of these companies can't see the future very well, where it would make so much sense to support 3D in as many movies as they fight now, for the inevitable day when they'll be able to cash in on that and release them all again for watching in VR.

I fully agree with you as a huge apologist of 3D, but it's a double-edged sword I'm afraid. Avatar's success clearly proved people are willing to go back to theaters for that kind of experience, but even though I wish TV makers would make 3D TVs again - I had a very hard time finding a used 4K 3DTV -, it would probably hurt theaters again. Also I hope Avatar's success will encourage movie studios to shoot more in 3D, because even though most of Disney's blockbusters are available in 3D, it's all conversion with very uneven results.

To go back to Super Mario, given the involvement of Nintendo in 3D, I also hope I will be able to watch it in 3D, but I'm quite worried since the theaters I usually go to completely dropped the 3D for the past few years - except for Avatar.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I just enjoyed the whole thing to be honest.

Really, both my wife and I absolutely loved it and would give it 10/10 each for delivering exactly what we wanted from a Super Mario Bros. movie. "Professional" movie critics and naysayers be damned--this movie is video game to cinema adaptation magic.

And, it's crazy, but it's looking like it's going to best pretty much every other animated movie's lifetime total global takings in a week or so.

Once it also releases in Japan--it still hasn't released in one of its biggest markets yet--I expect it will beat out the likes of Sonic 2, Detective Pikachu, Rampage and World of Warcraft rather quickly and by quite a large number. In fact, I expect The Super Mario Bros. Movie might just be the first video game movie to pass a billion in sales--deservedly so imo, all things being relative.

And this is just the first movie--there's almost certainly more coming--so it's likely the next movie or two will be even more popular if they are as successful with the general audience as the first one.

Illumination + Nintendoes!

Edit: This probably should have went in a more general forum topic. Feel free to move it there, moderator.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
  • Like 3

I'm curious if there is a modded take for this movie depending on region since the Japanese/asian markets would lean towards the Famicom, and i know YOU know (whoever seen it so far) what I mean by that in an earlier scene in the movie.

The deep cuts in this from surface level easter eggs down to some deep deep moments, even a few which probably would be more like Inception happen here and it's better for it.  There were so many crazy references some surface, some you need to know your 80s Nintendo history if not earlier, and also your Famicom disk system stuff too.  It was so seamlessly done it's a marvel it went off so well.  For me the only bleh part was the stupid forced rock song because Jack Black can't control himself and has to inject that in everything it seems.  That was both cringy and jarring, but the rest was just awesome start to end.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I'm curious if there is a modded take for this movie depending on region since the Japanese/asian markets would lean towards the Famicom, and i know YOU know (whoever seen it so far) what I mean by that in an earlier scene in the movie.

The deep cuts in this from surface level easter eggs down to some deep deep moments, even a few which probably would be more like Inception happen here and it's better for it.  There were so many crazy references some surface, some you need to know your 80s Nintendo history if not earlier, and also your Famicom disk system stuff too.  It was so seamlessly done it's a marvel it went off so well.  For me the only bleh part was the stupid forced rock song because Jack Black can't control himself and has to inject that in everything it seems.  That was both cringy and jarring, but the rest was just awesome start to end.

Yeah, that's interesting to think about in terms of small changes relative to each region.

On 11/30/2022 at 12:19 AM, Kirk_Johnston said:

If done right, I'm thinking this could do even better in the box office than the recent Sonic movies, which I enjoyed.

Well, turns out it was absolutely done right imo, and it's defintiely going to surpass both the Sonic movies at the box office, by a long ways.

Nintendoes!

As it should.  Sonic was largely good, but also had two dimensional not funny Jim Carrey who really didn't fit the role that Sega crafted for years of that character in game, anime/cartoon, and print.  The sonic movies are good, don't get me wrong, but I'd never pay for a blu ray because of the negatives.  Mario I'd buy the movie, watch it, then re-watch it if not just start screen capturing some fun easter eggs on my computers drive. :D

I want to get a few specifics like Mario having his alone time losing at Kid Icarus on the NES, that would be a fun backdrop.

• Like 1

Well, that's over $420 million already after around a week. So, it's definitely gonna be the highest grossing video game move of all time (talking about lifetime here)--and it looks like it will by by a long distance. It's already creeping up to the highest grossing animated movies of all time list too. I'm thinking that by the time it's cinema run comes to an end, it's going to be pretty high on that list. I kinda dream it might even be at the top, but that would be a minor miracle, or just a really amazing achievement. Never say never though. :)

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

Since I ended up double posting, I'll just replace the text I had here with a link to the Box Office Mojo page for the film, which I'll check in on from time to time and see how the movie is doing: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt6718170/

It will be very interesting to see how big the jump is once the movie releases in Japan.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

Well now that's a handy link.  Kind of amusing seeing the china number at the bottom, feels low, but then again it's a Japanese company and mascots movie, so it could just be well them being them. :)  Given what they tend to drop into movies pockets when stuff shows up in that huge country that feels low.  Japan though being Nintendo and Mario, I'm really curious as they're the types who watch and re-watch certain types of film which this one would fit into.  Either way yesterday isn't in there but if the early/mid-week trends stick domestic should be at 250M by now.

• Like 1

Wow, I'm surprised the UK is at the top given the movie was released 2 days later there (which means movies are released on Friday as in the US, because the UK does everything like them 😒), and also most retrogamers from the UK will tell you the NES was a yuuuuge failure there and people prefer Sonic over Mario. Well, maybe they're wrong after all. 🙂

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

Wow, I'm surprised the UK is at the top given the movie was released 2 days later there (which means movies are released on Friday as in the US, because the UK does everything like them 😒), and also most retrogamers from the UK will tell you the NES was a yuuuuge failure there and people prefer Sonic over Mario. Well, maybe they're wrong after all. 🙂

Despite the Sega 8-bit and 16-bit consoles outselling the Nintendo ones in the UK, I think Nintendo's characters and the like have ultimately always been bigger. Nowadays, Mario is leagues ahead of Sonic. And that's true worldwide too. So it's not shocking to me that Mario has just leapfrogged over Sonic at the box office. In fact, I think there's a high probability that the Mario movie will make more money than both the Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 films combined. Mario is huge.

That's it now made enough money in less than two weeks to enter the Top 50 Animated Movies of All Time list (be it based on a video game or otherwise). :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_animated_films

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Super-Mario-Bros-Movie-The-(2022)#tab=summary

It's going to be interesting to see how high it climbs on that list. Also really curious now to see if it can make it onto the Top 50 Highest Grossing Movies of All Time list (of any kind).

With the success of the brilliant Super Nintendo World theme parks and now how well the awesome The Super Mario Bros. Movie is doing at the box office (and it's got a long ways to go still), it's a great time to be a Mario and Nintendo fan!

Now we just need the SNES indie/homebrew development scene to get in on the action in a truly meaningful way too.... ;-)

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

And still Japan hasn't reported its weekend draw from the movie either, so that'll get very interesting.

According to Deadline, it made 14.3 million on the Friday and Saturday combined. It's not a huge number in and of itself, but it's actually "the biggest opening weekend ever for an animated studio movie, as well as the biggest Saturday box office in Universal history – topping Jurassic World Dominion."

https://deadline.com/2023/04/super-mario-bros-movie-crosses-one-billion-global-box-office-1235341660/

I'm not sure, but I expect those numbers are already included in the 1.022 billion figure, even though they're still not listed on the likes of Box Office Mojo and The Numbers.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston