IGNORED

The Super Mario Bros. Movie is returning to theaters for National Cinema Day! :D

5 hours ago, Shawn said:

I dunno, Chris Pratt as Mario was a terrible choice, IMO.

If you actually go listen to everything he's voiced of Mario in any trailers so far, you will hear he actually has given Mario a subtle Brooklyn accent along the lines of the old Super Mario Bros. live-action TV show, which I think is going to work very nicely to be honest.

If that's your only objection, I think you'll be fine with this.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
  • Like 1

When the first Super Mario Bros movie came out they could only take inspiration from the games of the time, I think World was the latest one, so they had to invent new things, now this movie seems to take a lot of inspiration from the 3D Mario games like Galaxy and 64.

Also, the Brazilian voice actor sounds a lot more like Mario than Chris Pratt, while Japan isn't even getting their own dub, they'll just get the American movie subbed.

16 hours ago, Shawn said:

I dunno, Chris Pratt as Mario was a terrible choice, IMO.

Indeed, but the most terrible part of this trailer is the writing.  Absolute fucking cringe.  I made it barely a minute into it and had to stop.  Some of us can't stand the overly desperate attempts to be snarky and cute when it comes to the script.  I had the unfortunate experience of watching Sonic The Hedgehog two years ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The first Sonic movie was surprisingly not complete garbage, which is a rarity for a video game movie, although I only saw it once and I'm not sure how well it would stand up to subsequent viewings. I never saw the second one because it took several months to release here and it only played in a few theaters, none of them being convenient for me to go to. It finally released on BD last week, so I've been meaning to go rent it but haven't gotten around to it yet. Yeah, we get stuff long after the rest of the world does, to the point where I typically just import stuff that I want to watch from the US, which is basically nothing, but yeah.

Anyway video game movie = hesitant. I will not lie; I do not especially like the character design here for some reason. It looks... off/strange/uncanny somehow, although maybe it's just me being used to seeing the designs used in/for the games.

20 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

The first Sonic movie was surprisingly not complete garbage, which is a rarity for a video game movie, although I only saw it once and I'm not sure how well it would stand up to subsequent viewings. I never saw the second one because it took several months to release here and it only played in a few theaters, none of them being convenient for me to go to. It finally released on BD last week, so I've been meaning to go rent it but haven't gotten around to it yet. Yeah, we get stuff long after the rest of the world does, to the point where I typically just import stuff that I want to watch from the US, which is basically nothing, but yeah.

Anyway video game movie = hesitant. I will not lie; I do not especially like the character design here for some reason. It looks... off/strange/uncanny somehow, although maybe it's just me being used to seeing the designs used in/for the games.

I really enjoyed the first Sonic movie. The second one wasn't that great. I think this Mario movie looks like it could be great so far.

On 11/30/2022 at 12:19 AM, Tanooki said:

That sells it unlike the first.  Anyone bitchin about this one, including how Pratt sounds needs to go back under their nerd rock and zip it.  I have to agree, this could easily top the Sonic movies if it's done right.

Wow. Back under my nerd rock and zip it? My dislike of the voice actor choice really hit a nerve on ya? I love Chris Pratt in other things. As Starlord he does an amazing job. Sonic was great. I liked the second one also.

You personally no.  There are just a bunch of insufferable manbabies over on some other places I go that just won't let it go raging out like someone slapped the mom that let's them live in their basement.  It's the same seeming people with their friends going on like some crusade like it'll make a difference and it gets really really old.  I get it when Sonic hit, damn that thing was ugly whether you knew the franchise or not it wasn't right, the equal here would be like if they made Mario look like those mid-80s creepy looking Applause company made plush toys with the plastic head.

• Like 1

It clearly won't ruin the movie but I was myself very underwhelmed, expecting something more surprising maybe, and it's a letdown compared to other voices that are quite perfect imho. That being said, I completely understand they didn't hire Charles Martinet because it would have sounded very awkward for long dialogues. I like Martinet a lot, especially his Italian gibberish in the Mario & Luigi games, but I'm not sure it would have worked out for a feature film. Also, there may have been a concern about offending Italian Americans (see Elon Musk as Wario for instance).

Uh...

On 11/30/2022 at 9:19 AM, Kirk_Johnston said:

the recent Sonic movies, which I enjoyed

11 hours ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

The second one wasn't that great.

So you enjoyed it but it wasn't great.

Anyway, I rented it last night and found it far better than the previous Sonic movie in basically every way, except in the ways in which it wasn't.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Uh...

So you enjoyed it but it wasn't great.

Anyway, I rented it last night and found it far better than the previous Sonic movie in basically every way, except in the ways in which it wasn't.

Yeah, I generally enjoyed it, but not as much as the first one. The first one I actually really enjoyed, and have watched two or three times at this point. The second one was okay. Overall, I enjoyed them.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

You personally no.  There are just a bunch of insufferable manbabies over on some other places I go that just won't let it go raging out like someone slapped the mom that let's them live in their basement.  It's the same seeming people with their friends going on like some crusade like it'll make a difference and it gets really really old.  I get it when Sonic hit, damn that thing was ugly whether you knew the franchise or not it wasn't right, the equal here would be like if they made Mario look like those mid-80s creepy looking Applause company made plush toys with the plastic head.

Yeah, this is really not one of those times where fans have to rally to get some serious mistake fixed. His voice generally sounds totally fine. And, yeah, Sonic's original movie design absolutely was. That thing was nightmare fuel.

4 hours ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

Yeah, this is really not one of those times where fans have to rally to get some serious mistake fixed. His voice generally sounds totally fine. And, yeah, Sonic's original movie design absolutely was. That thing was nightmare fuel.

Hah no doubt.  It's like the marketing and art guys went online and tried to find some cool fan art that really captured the spirit, then found SANIK.

1385136139955.png

• Haha 1

I noticed it as well.  It plays back into what I was saying is that they were from the footage largely holding back.  At first low tone and no clue so bitching commences.  Then the second clip comes out and he had the perky bubbly Mario stuff at the very end with the Kart sequence with the wee woo hoo ha ha! stuff bouncing that thing and skidding around rainbow road.

Yet this one, talking and more talking and even the groans and moans being beat senselessly almost by pipe transportation.  It really doesn't have that Pratt sound to it like he's doing a low deeper known star lord-ish annoyed tone I think people were vibing out over.  This one has that good sense sound of the right voice for the character, accent and all, like Kirk said more like the old super show with Cap'n Lou and the cartoon then.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm liking the looks of it too and the little guy does as well. I don't think it will be as good as Sonic. That has nothing to do with Pratt but more with Sonic having a better character to do movies with. Personally I haven't seen anything wrong with the voice.

But I also remember the Super Mario Super Show....

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

I'm liking the looks of it too and the little guy does as well. I don't think it will be as good as Sonic. That has nothing to do with Pratt but more with Sonic having a better character to do movies with. Personally I haven't seen anything wrong with the voice.

But I also remember the Super Mario Super Show....

Well, I'm keeping my fingers crosse that it delivers.

It's video game movie. Any time you watch any video game movie ever created, you should expect it to be 100% complete trash in every single way possible and maybe you'll get lucky.

Did anyone watch that Uncharted movie? I don't know if it actually ever got released here.

Edit: yes, it did. Like literally a year ago. Oops. Maybe I'll go rent it or something if I manage to remember, which I will not.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

17 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

It's video game movie. Any time you watch any video game movie ever created, you should expect it to be 100% complete trash in every single way possible and maybe you'll get lucky.

Did anyone watch that Uncharted movie? I don't know if it actually ever got released here.

Edit: yes, it did. Like literally a year ago. Oops. Maybe I'll go rent it or something if I manage to remember, which I will not.

The Uncharted one was okay. Nothing special but not terrible imo. Worth a watch I'd say.

Yeah, it's probably best to go into any video game movie with low expectations and hopefully be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

18 hours ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

The Uncharted one was okay. Nothing special but not terrible imo. Worth a watch I'd say.

Yeah, it's probably best to go into any video game movie with low expectations and hopefully be pleasantly surprised.

Maybe I'll check out the Uncharted movie, but I suppose it can't be worse than that Doom movie. At least I got to see that one for free, and I didn't even have to illegally download it or anything! I still want my money back despite not paying to see it, though.

Then of course there is that weird Castlevania cartoon that started pretty good in season 1, fell off a cliff in season 2, and then I never watched season 3 and whatever came after that.

• Like 1

I think Silent Hill is a genuinely good horror mystery film with a gorgeous visual style and interesting story.

I was excited to hear that there is a sequel in early development with the same director attached to it.

But that is about the only good movie I can come up with, if we are not counting the "so bad it's good" category (The winner is Street Fighter of course).

On 12/3/2022 at 1:44 AM, Tanooki said:

Hah no doubt.  It's like the marketing and art guys went online and tried to find some cool fan art that really captured the spirit, then found SANIK.

1385136139955.png

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it before, but in case you haven't seen it, Sanic is actually in the first Sonic movie.

aerty.thumb.jpg.5a5df34be819d3035bdc9dcc107ab0e9.jpg

Of course, this is nowhere near as memetastic as being able to play as Knuckles & Knuckles and get the secret Knuckles & Knuckles-exclusive ending in Sonic Mania using the game's glorious & Knuckles Mode, but it's still great to see.

• Like 1