IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

33 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

I have one of these, will check it out in the 2600+ soon, but I'd expect it to work. The Omega Race joystick goes over the Left Joystick, and is plugged into the Right Joystick port. All it basically does is let you have access to the right Joystick button on your Left Joystick controller, because Omega Race is a two-button game. So as long as the 2600+ can recognize input from both a Left and Right Joystick, it should just work.

According to the Omega Race 2600 instructions, you are supposed to plug the joystick into the booster grip itself, then plug the booster grip+joystick into the left controller port.

https://atariage.com/manual_html_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=332

I'm sure there's multiple ways of doing Omega Race 2600 (using a Colecovision controller will mimic both buttons for example) but if Atari/Plaion doesn't verify the original controllers works as intended there will be a million youtube videos of people showing gob-smacked faces in the thumbnail with title "YOU WON'T BELIEVE THE BONER ATARI JUST DID!"

4 hours ago, littaum said:

According to the Omega Race 2600 instructions, you are supposed to plug the joystick into the booster grip itself, then plug the booster grip+joystick into the left controller port.

https://atariage.com/manual_html_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=332

I'm sure there's multiple ways of doing Omega Race 2600 (using a Colecovision controller will mimic both buttons for example) but if Atari/Plaion doesn't verify the original controllers works as intended there will be a million youtube videos of people showing gob-smacked faces in the thumbnail with title "YOU WON'T BELIEVE THE BONER ATARI JUST DID!"

Hmm, maybe I am confusing it with something else. 

Ok, pulled out the Omega Boost controller and I had forgotten how it worked, it does indeed act as a go-between between the Joystick and controller port. 

My copy of Omega Race won't play in my 2600+, most likely because it is a RAM Plus cart, although I gave it a cleaning with contact cleaner just in case to no effect. No real way for me to tell then if the controller works. 

20231214_165810[1].jpg

20231214_170312[1].jpg

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 7:38 PM, infinite.pies said:

After testing my console by playing Adventure for a bit, I've now packed it away again for Christmas.

It's killing me putting it back in the box, but opening it and playing even for a short while was pure joy, and I'll get to do it all again at Christmas.

It's going to be a very special Christmas this year.

I'm spending a lot of time on eBay now looking for cartridges. I can't wait to hear what games Atari is going to be releasing, and I really hope any new releases are going to be available internationally.

Oh yes this was my Christmas present to myself too. and along with all the games that I bought for it. but honestly I couldn't help myself and went ahead and opened it early. LOL. Santa will be mad.

• Like 1

My pre-order finally arrived!

2600_Plus_Order.thumb.jpg.27d31b3ef615b177832b09cb607bca3f.jpg

My initial impression is very positive!  I've put the new games through their paces and have even tested a few of my old ones.  Going from RF to HDMI is akin to putting on glasses for the very first time and realizing just how terrible your vision was.  It's transformative.  16:9 also looks superb with minimal stretching.  (I haven't even bothered with the 4:3 mode yet.)  The metal switches on the console feel deliciously clunky.  (The switches on my actual 2600 are pretty spongy.)  I've also fallen in love with the dip switches on the multi-carts.  There's this wonderful synergy between the time it takes you to flip a switch, and the time it takes the 2600+ to load the next game.  The engineering on the peripherals also feels top-notch.  The paddle knobs have this wonderful resistance to them that's missing from my original set.  (I bought my paddles used so I can't comment on how they felt initially.)  Kudos to @Ben from Plaion and the rest of his team!  You have absolutely nailed the memory of what a 2600 looks and feels like.  I'll dive into my nitpicks and any compatibility issues in another thread.

• Like 10

17 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Guys I've made it, just got trolled by Metal Jesus in his 2600+ review.

I watched that and thought it was very positive for both devices.

I liked how he got the two young 'uns to try out a variety of games and they really enjoyed them - smart way to do the review.

• Like 5

Long time reader, first time poster.

@Ben from Plaion

Since you said you're interested in hearing about problems, here are some. I just got my 2600+ a couple days ago. (Thanks, Atari and their shipping people.) Overall, I'm pretty happy, and I'm looking forward to a firmware update because I bet this thing has good bones.

One thing I don't believe I saw anyone mention was vsync issues. This is very apparent on games like Space Jockey with horizontally moving objects or the illusion of horizontal scrolling, of which Space Jockey has both. The cadence of the motion and the scrolling is inconsistent. You can also see this issue exhibited in the flickering of objects in Mr. Run and Jump. The objects sometimes have inconsistent cadence in their flickering. This seems to be like the sort of thing you'd see with certain emulators where you're running, say, a 60Hz display but the game's running at something weird like 57Hz. This appears to be more pronounced with Stella than Prosystem, using the blimp and banner in Pole Position 2 as a bit of a gauge for horizontal scrolling there. I did see a bit of choppiness one time with the blimp, but Prosystem seems to be pretty consistent.

I saw at least one person on Youtube mention paddle dial lag. I am definitely experiencing lag. All button and direction inputs seem responsive enough, including the paddle's button, but the system is a bit slow to respond to the dial rotation. I hope this gets fixed in a firmware update because being able to use paddles on modern TVs is one of the big selling points of the 2600+ to me.

I saw some mentions of phantom button presses with Prosystem. I believe it was phantom hyperspace in Asteroids. I believe I experienced a phantom grenade throw in Commando this morning. The same button.

As you know, the 7800 buttons are reversed. This is disappointing to see as having made it through to an official product. Getting these details wrong is something that makes me feel like this 2600+ is more of an Atgames style cash grab, and I hope a firmware update proves me wrong.

The pack-in controller is booty butt cheeks bad. I'm sorry, but the stick is way too stiff. This wasn't just a fumble; this was an own goal. I'll never use it again. Those Retron77 controllers were light years better. On the other hand, I bought two sets of the paddles. I even tried them on my childhood 7800. There's a heavy grease feel in the potentiometers which probably isn't period-accurate, but I'm actually finding these paddles to be very, very good. I'd recommend people who aren't interested in the 2600+ to get them if they need new paddles for their old systems. I'm hoping a future 7800 controller is more like the latter and less like the former.

The next is less about the 2600+ and more about the products surrounding it, and I'm not sure how much Plaion has to do with this, but while I'm at it... Limited releases like Save Mary can go up a river. I saw something about how the economics of making more carts is bad. That's not how economics work. Atari is releasing a system. Stop making it hard for me to buy new games for it. I missed the window for Save Mary, and I'm not paying $300 for some box set for a second opportunity.

To compliment the 2600+ here's what I like.

The sound is spot on. Play this through a decent sound system, and 2600 games sound better than you remember. I love this sound.

The cart slot is spectacular. It feels goooooooooooood.

I don't mind the loading very much, but I do hope that the loading times get reduced in future firmware updates. No, I won't be using hot swapping. I'm concerned about DC spikes. It's one thing if it's an easily repairable or replaceable controller. Some of these games I've got are valuable.

I'm enjoying Berzerk Enhanced. I understand some people are having issues with delays in sounds, but I didn't have this game as a kid, so everything that's going on is fine by me.

I think Mr. Run and Jump is okay. Maybe I'll like it more as I play it more.

I'm hoping for more releases like the above that aren't some expensive, limited shenanigans. I will spend money on these releases, assuming firmware updates to the 2600+ are forthcoming.

I saw someone mention they'd rather have to wait until next year for the best firmware update instead of getting a janky update. I say don't wait to give us something good this year and then give us something perfect next year. As long as it doesn't brick the system, you know? Don't let perfect be the enemy of good. Also, don't make me feel like, at least long term, I'd be getting a better experience using Stella and Prosystem on my PC for free.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Gamma Ray said:

The pack-in controller is booty butt cheeks bad. I'm sorry, but the stick is way too stiff. This wasn't just a fumble; this was an own goal.

I mean to be fair, this is always how the original Atari Controllers were. They were horrible. Caused no end of blisters as a child. I do appreciate having a brand new one as a curiosity item/decoration/memento tho. Not using it lol. 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, tradyblix said:

I mean to be fair, this is always how the original Atari Controllers were. They were horrible. 

I have an old CX-40 from the 70s/80s in really good shape.  Yes, they were this stiff back in the day.  The new sticks are a very faithful replication of the originals.

One thing I've found with the 2600 is that there's no one perfect controller.  A stick that works great for Ms. Pacman is not so great for Missile Command, and vice-versa.  I have a basket with about 7 or 8 different controllers, and I've gotten to know which controllers work best for which favorite cart.

• Like 6

Atari sticks were always terrible. That's why so many third party controllers exist. It does work, and is fully functional, but third parties can be great (they can also be trash lol)

Woo! Woohoo! Wah. My paddles finally came in, and run and jump, and berzerk, which I hadn't even gotten an email about shipping. My weekend is done :)

• Like 3

I like the original sticks up to a point.  I'm actually using an AtGames version most of the time just because I don't feel like I'm fighting with it.  I remember well the feeling of the old ones and the CX-40+ nails it.  Probably modern objections would be that they're really not very ergonomic, the stiffness and the "fighting" with the stick I mentioned, and they resist bottoming out, which is something we've grown used to on most controls.  At the same time, certain types or feeling of control you're not going to replicate with an NES d-pad or even a thumbstick, like that nice swoopy motion and control of your snow speeder in ESB.  Just feels right to me with a CX-40.

• Like 3