IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

On 11/30/2023 at 11:42 AM, Recycled said:

The ship always disappears in 2600 Defender.

Yep. I used to try and exploit that when I was a kid with my rapid-fire module. Tried to see if I could "phase" through enemy ships. Plus, the rapid shots just sounded cool.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

These are all PAL carts running in 50hz

IMG_20231201_174103.jpg

IMG_20231201_174149.jpg

IMG_20231201_174226.jpg

IMG_20231201_174258.jpg

IMG_20231201_174358.jpg

IMG_20231201_174433.jpg

IMG_20231201_174503.jpg

IMG_20231201_174523.jpg

IMG_20231201_174527.jpg

Many thanks @Dr Karnov

As Thomas said very tricky to comment due to set ups and how cameras take photos plus then how the photo is displayed here on the post. One thing though they dont look dark at all. 

Anyway we can clear this up next week with the comparison pictures between release build and beta build you have

• Like 2

Just now, AtariYMás009 said:

My console runs PAL games at 60Hz so they are a bit strange and the movement of the sprites is not smooth at all. Is the autodetection of 50Hz and 60Hz from new software or is it the fault of my television? I haven't been able to read everything and I'm quite lost hehe

I believe that the release firmware runs everything in 60hz but when the update comes out, PAL carts will run 50hz and smooth

11 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

I believe that the release firmware runs everything in 60hz but when the update comes out, PAL carts will run 50hz and smooth

As smooth as it gets.

Not all NTSC carts run at 60Hz (e.g. Desert Falcon runs at 56Hz) and not all PAL carts run at 50Hz (e.g. Buck Rogers runs at 56Hz too and will probably display at 60Hz). These will still not have perfectly smooth movements. You would need video hardware which supports variable display frequencies (like an analog CRT) to become perfect here.

Try the ROMs in Stella (ALt+L to display the info). Or look here.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

10 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

As smooth as it gets.

Not all NTSC carts run at 60Hz (e.g. Desert Falcon runs at 56Hz) and not all PAL carts run at 50Hz (e.g. Buck Rogers runs at 56Hz too and will probably display at 60Hz). These will still not have perfectly smooth movements. You would need video hardware which supports variable display frequencies (like an analog CRT) to become perfect here.

You ever thought about writing a book on the Atari 2600?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

As smooth as it gets.

Also, brazilian system, PAL-M did run at 60Hz. I am still waiting someone to test Polyvox carts, as the plus is not officially released here, so I have no clue how those will behave, wrong colors (most likely), with slow speed or just works.

EDIT: It seems like Dactar carts work fine, at least with firmware 1.0: (video in portuguese)

Edited by protomank

9 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

My Xevious PAL runs in 50hz

Funny thing is, it worked fine with the release firmware, and a lot of people apparently couldn't get their PAL Xevious to work 

Hmmmm, I hate inconsistancies like this, good for you though in this case. I know what the developer at the factory will say, can you send me both carts so he can crack them open. Tricky request as the screws are under the label!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, protomank said:

Also, brazilian system, PAL-M did run at 60Hz. I am still waiting someone to test Polyvox carts, as the plus is not officially released here, so I have no clue how those will behave, wrong colors (most likely), with slow speed or just works.

EDIT: It seems like Dactar carts work fine, at least with firmware 1.0: (video in portuguese)

This guy got 160k views on his unboxing! Thank you youtube auto translate!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

This guy got 160k views on his unboxing! Thank you youtube auto translate!

You know videogames in Brazil basically started in 1983 with the Atari and Odyssey 2, right? (Yes, very late, there is a long story on why, just no one could import, basically).

It was, and still is, big and beloved here, there is even a market for clone carts from the time, that had different labels and formats :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

Released 12/1/23:

Battle Rockets    $9.99

Indie developed mix of a head to head fighting game and a shoot-em-up SHMUP. First game from the folks who released Ultra Mission on the VCS.

Circus Atari    FREE

A free 2600 game for the VCS! Circus Atari: 2600 is the classic 2600 game with Classic functionality supported. 

NOTE: I am not seeing this game listed under Games in the VCS Store, but if you search for it you'll find it. Listed as 12/1/23 release date in Details.

Milli & Greg    $4.99

Platformer from 2nd Boss, the folks who released Savage Halloween and Biolab Wars on the VCS.

I think you are in the wrong forum.

1 hour ago, protomank said:

You know videogames in Brazil basically started in 1983 with the Atari and Odyssey 2, right? (Yes, very late, there is a long story on why, just no one could import, basically).

It was, and still is, big and beloved here, there is even a market for clone carts from the time, that had different labels and formats :)

Hasn't high import taxes always been a problem with videogame hardware distribution in Brazil?

Not sure about today I bet the big three have dealt with that nowadays with Brazil being such a big market, but still in the back of my mind I recall lots of clone machines being sold and not official machines, interested to hear your view