IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

2 minutes ago, Chemical Burrito said:

For Pole Position II, if I remember correctly, one of the buttons on the 7800 controller accelerates and the other one brakes.  I can test that out later if no one else confirms.

Look at the bright side ... at least you can stop.

That should definitely work correctly on the 2600+ if you're using a 7800 controller.

..Al

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, THX-1138 said:

I never had a 7800, but should Pole Position II play on the 2600+ with the CX40+ or would it have needed two buttons.  Because I can seem to do everything except accelerate, which is probably the most important bit. 😄
(I'm not ruling out user error on anything I'm doing right now)

I haven't played it in decades, but I'm pretty sure it uses one button.  You either hold forward to accelerate and the button to change gears, or vice versa. Edit: maybe my memory is playing tricks on me. 🙂 

Edited by Alarm
edit text

18 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

:(

I threw all of my stuff away. I went through a phase where I was trying to be an adult and I tossed ALL of my computer game boxes. Like, literally... I had 100s of game boxes. I took all the CD-ROMs, DVDs, and put them into a case logic sleeve bag (a big one). I then took all the disks and put them into a disk caddy. I went through and kept ONLY the most important manuals, and threw everything else out. That included all my other games, as well as all the Wing Commander stuff, all the Ultima stuff... I mean, all of it. I had Ultima 3 through Pagan... tossed all the boxes. Like, literally stomped them so that I could fit them in a trash bag.

The ONLY computer game boxes I kept, were the LP ones (Arctic Fox, Starflight), Sentinel Worlds, and my AD&D Gold Box Series games. Everything else... thrown in the trash. Oh well... live and learn. It was like 1999. eBay wasn't really big then, and I'd never considered selling it or better yet, I could have at least given all that stuff away to someone who would have wanted it.

Yes, there was this weird period BEFORE Ebay was really a thing (even though it started in 1996/96 it didn't get huge until 2003/2004 or so) but it was also AFTER these boxes were current games you would play. I think at some point I might have tossed some boxes. However, even back then I never threw away an Ultima box, ever. The map and books needed a home!

20 minutes ago, THX-1138 said:

I never had a 7800, but should Pole Position II play on the 2600+ with the CX40+ or would it have needed two buttons.  Because I can seem to do everything except accelerate, which is probably the most important bit. 😄
(I'm not ruling out user error on anything I'm doing right now)

Left fire button accelerates, right button brakes. I haven’t played this for a while either. Had to get the instructions out of my CIB 7800.

IMG_2185.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Alarm said:

A great review from John, POKEY on Commando 7800 works, no homebrew 7800 games he tried worked.  I'm going to preorder it now I know almost all of the commercial 7800 (NTSC) games work as intended.

We'll be able to fix this with an update, it's something I'm actively working on right now.

..Al

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

So far So good

TechRadar (UK)

Score: 4/5

Headline: Atari 2600+ review - comfy beeps and boops in an irresistible package

Link: https://www.techradar.com/gaming/consoles-pc/atari-2600-review-comfy-beeps-and-boops-in-an-irresistible-package

Link: https://www.gamesradar.com/atari-2600-plus-review/

Overview: The Atari 2600+ is an awesome recreated version of the company’s iconic ‘70s console, and features like HDMI and original cartridge support make for a perfect blend of old and new. While some players might want more from this straight-talking revamp on a software level, this new system provides easy and instant access to classic carts using accurate emulators. It’ll also make for an excellent collector’s piece for retro game enthusiasts with a soft spot for wood grain.

CNN (US)

Score: n/a

Headline: Atari 2600+ review: Gaming like it’s 1977 again

Link: https://edition.cnn.com/cnn-underscored/reviews/atari-2600-plus

Overview: The Atari 2600+ is 100 percent effective at its intended purpose, which is to faithfully reproduce the experience of the original Atari 2600 from 1977. From the look of the console to the feel of the joystick, it succeeds. If you're a gamer into retrogaming, be sure to pick it up when it launches on November 17.

The Mirror (UK)

Score: 4/5

Headline: Atari 2600+ review: replica retro console comes incredibly close to absolute authenticity

Link: https://www.mirror.co.uk/gaming/atari-2600-review-replica-console-31444573

Overview: The Atari 2600+ is an incredibly faithful remix of what is easily Atari’s most famous home console, shined up and perfected to run original cartridges beautifully on modern screens. Would it have been nice for the console to legitimately read said cartridges as opposed to just emulating them once inserted? Of course. But by giving collectors the freedom to play their existing stack of games and supporting original accessories, it swiftly becomes the best way to experience all things Atari 2600 from the comfort of your sofa. To modern players it’ll have limited appeal as a strange link to the past, but for existing enthusiasts, it’s a more authentic way to revisit console gaming’s earliest generation.

Digital Trends (US)

Score: n/a

Headline: The Atari 2600+ is a retro console blueprint that everyone should follow

Link: https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/atari-2600-plus-hands-on/

Overview: It isn’t just another dime-a-dozen console recreation crafted for easy nostalgia; it’s one of the few devices of its kind to actually capture the feel of the iconic system. That’s a feat that few others can claim — but I hope they follow suit.

RetroDodo (UK)

Score: 8/10

Headline: Atari 2600+ Review – Is It Worth $130?

Link: https://retrododo.com/atari-2600-plus-review/

Overview: I’ve been considering getting an original 2600 for a while now, but honestly, I don’t really feel the need now that I’ve got this. Sure you could go down the route of modding an original Atari 2600 to play games completely authentically without any kind of emulation, but for someone who just wants to casually experience these games, this is absolutely the best way to do that.

VGC (UK)

Score: 3/5

Headline: REVIEW: THE ATARI 2600+ IS A STUBBORNLY FAITHFUL RECREATION OF A ’70S LEGEND

Link: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/review/review-the-atari-2600-is-a-stubbornly-faithful-recreation-of-a-70s-legend/

Overview: The Atari 2600+ is a surprisingly faithful recreation of the original 2600 hardware, but therein lies both its strengths and weaknesses. If all you want is a new box to play your old games on a modern TV, this is absolutely the solution, but if you're looking for something like a SNES Mini designed to introduce you to Atari, get Atari 50 instead.

Screenrant (UK/US)

Score: n/a

Headline: "A Beautifully Crafted Machine"" Atari 2600+ Review

Link: https://screenrant.com/atari-2600-plus-review/

Overview: The Atari 2600+ is a faithful replica of the original console, offering USB power connectors, HDMI output, and multiple screen resolutions for a modern gaming experience. While the Atari 2600+ provides a fun nostalgic experience, it does have some flaws, including frequent crashes during gameplay that can be frustrating. However, overall, it is still a positive and enjoyable gaming console for retro gaming enthusiasts.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, ls650 said:

In prep for getting my 2600+, I bought 4 old 7800 carts off eBay over the last month: Ms. Pacman, Pole Position II, Xevious, and Dig Dug. 

Picked up Dig Dug, Ms. Pac-Man, Xevious, Choplifter. Centipede, and Food Fight at TORG over the weekend to give myself a small 7800 to mess around with when the 2600+ arrives.

• Like 2

In its current state, I give it a 7.5/10

+99% compatible with 2600 commercial games

+7800 commercial games work but one(Rampage)

+Joystick CX-40+ is excellent 

+Console is upgradable with firmware

-No power brick for $130.00

-Pitfall II for 2600 and Rampage for the 7800 currently do not work

-Lack of current 7800 homebrew support

-Lack of support for menu multicarts

I am looking forward to this becoming a much better product.  

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, swlovinist said:

Love your work keep it up!

What would you say is the ceiling is for something like this? I would say without an FPGA solution there is a ceiling but I feel if compatibility gets improved for homebrews and things like Deepstone Catacomb and Pitfall 2 start working we are looking at a potential 9.0? Maybe a 9.5 if they ever offer a way to load your roms via a PC hookup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sramirez2008 said:

Left fire button accelerates, right button brakes. I haven’t played this for a while either. Had to get the instructions out of my CIB 7800.

IMG_2185.jpeg

Yep thanks.  I wanted to be sure the reason it's not accelerating is because it needs a two-button 7800 controller, not because there was some other problem.  Shame, I was really wanting to play it.  I hope they hurry up with that 7800 controller remake.

Picked up some used 2600/7800 games at a local shop, in addition to ordering a 7800 gamepad. I'm a network engineer and work remotely from home so I'll probably unbox the 2600+ and make sure everything works before boxing it up for my son's Christmas present.

IMG_2952.thumb.jpg.5da60466933d01dfb38eb0f1834c4b16.jpg

Edited by ToddUGA
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, donjn said:

Love your work keep it up!

What would you say is the ceiling is for something like this? I would say without an FPGA solution there is a ceiling but I feel if compatibility gets improved for homebrews and things like Deepstone Catacomb and Pitfall 2 start working we are looking at a potential 9.0? Maybe a 9.5 if they ever offer a way to load your roms via a PC hookup.

I am hoping for near 100% with software updates but have realistic expectations.   

14 minutes ago, swlovinist said:

I got you on the hook John, just need now to reel you in.

Thanks and all the best!

• Like 3

I saw people complaining about not having the power brick. Well, the whole idea of having a common USB-C format in phones and devices is that they stop sending gazillions of power bricks with each device, and reduce electronic waste A LOT. I'm 100% for it, I use my old phones bricks and can buy others if needed all the time. In time, houses will have USB ports in the wall and that will be a lesser issue. So, for me, not an issue.

It seems like 1.0, or does not come with a menu for the system, or no one was able to figure out how to get into it. I hope in the future that gets fixed, by giving instructions or by adding one.

The complain I have to agree with is the lack of manuals. Several games have some amazing game modes is hard to figure out like Space Invaders, and others like Raiders of the Lost Ark are so complex - you even need a second controller - that it takes days to figure out how to play, and I know that because I had this cart without a manual at the time :D

• Like 1