IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

I really hope some future firmware adds a menu. This would unlock emulation stuff that is quite useful like save-statess and filters. This can be achieved with some joystick combination like holdsing up and fire button for 5 seconds.

I know people hate save-states, but for Atari, I really see them as being useful for continuining your play later (not for not dying tough).

Edited by protomank

On 11/15/2023 at 5:32 PM, swlovinist said:

-Lack of current 7800 homebrew support

Already got a few 7800 homebrew carts running....now some poor soul has to provide hopefully a comprehensive document detailing as many 7800 homebrew headers as possible, then the developer loads them to dumper code, then bit of testing then.... BAM release that to the hungry masses.

20231113_154540-(002).jpg

20231113_155105-(002).jpg

20231113_154746-(002).jpg

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Already got a few 7800 homebrew carts running....now some poor soul has to provide hopefully a comprehensive document detailing as many 7800 homebrew headers as possible, then the developer loads them to dumper code, then bit of testing then.... BAM release that to the hungry masses.

Ugh, the poor sod who has to document all those games!

..Al

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Good news about the 7800 side of things!

A suggestion about any future access to internal settings via a menu or other means. Turning on the machine without a cartridge then either directly shown or a message to press a button/switch to activate it whilst still attempting to read a cart (that's how it works now right ??).

1 minute ago, mksmith said:

Good news about the 7800 side of things!

A suggestion about any future access to internal settings via a menu or other means. Turning on the machine without a cartridge then either directly shown or a message to press a button/switch to activate it whilst still attempting to read a cart (that's how it works now right ??).

No cartridge inserted should play Kiloparsec like our custom BIOS does :P

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alarm said:

Not a stream, but this reviewer tests several VCS and 7800 carts from his collection.

I just wished he had double checked the non-working carts on a real 2600. Without that, one can only guess how good the cart port is (physically!). To bad, I would really like to know, especially because the R77 has some serious issues there.

The Micro-USB(?) port and the recover button he found on the HDMImainboard are interesting for sure. @Ben from Plaion anything you can tell us about them?

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

42 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

20231113_154540-(002).jpg

20231113_155105-(002).jpg

20231113_154746-(002).jpg

I'm curious how the developer plans to identify the banking schemes of the 7800 homebrews since the header data doesn't exist on the physical carts.  Will they be using the signature data from the cart to identify the game?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I just wished he had double checked the non-working carts on a real 2600. Without that, one can only guess how good the cart port is (physically!). To bad, I would really like to know, especially because the R77 has some serious issues there.

The Micro-USB(?) port and the recover button he found on the HDMI board are interesting for sure. @Ben from Plaion anything you can tell us about them?

I guess you would refer to it as the attack vector.

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

What were the carts that didn't work?  And I agree, when I've tested carts, I make sure they work on a real 2600 or 7800 before flagging them as non-working on the 2600+

..Al

45 minutes ago, tep392 said:

I'm curious how the developer plans to identify the banking schemes of the 7800 homebrews since the header data doesn't exist on the physical carts.  Will they be using the signature data from the cart to identify the game?

Yes, the emulator calculates and MD5 checksum on the binary and then looks it up in its own internal database.  This is the same mechanism Stella uses to identify games.

..Al

• Like 1

Yes.  At $8000 in a fairly common method of bankswitching, you write the bank number to $8000 and that puts that bank (16K) in $4000 to $7FFF

EDIT:  I have to research, but I *think* it's anywhere you write the bank number from $8000-$BFFF...  I just use $8000 because it's the very beginning. :)

Edited by PacManPlus
clarification
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It would be pretty sweet if I got mine just before Thanksgiving... so I can play with my family who will be visiting in town. I won't be bummed if not, just really happy to be getting it. I bought a bunch of really good homebrews several years ago that I've never bothered to play. I have like two Atari 2600 mod kits that I'd intended to install in one of my 2600s at one point, but never got around to it. Really, really looking forward to have something that looks and acts like my original did, and lets me just play this stuff...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Albert said:

Yes, the emulator calculates and MD5 checksum on the binary and then looks it up in its own internal database.  This is the same mechanism Stella uses to identify games.

..Al

That is probably the easiest way to do it.  Otherwise some algorithm would need to be developed to write hotspots and attempt to deduce presence of RAM and ROM and bank logic.  But this also means that future updates will be needed as new homebrews are released, unless some new standard is developed to include a header in the binary. :) I guess there is no reason devs couldn't start including the A78 header in the home bank.

It also means that you will need some help from the devs of carts you didn't produce to get MD5 data for any revisions they made during cart production.

• Like 1