IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

Looking at the wording from Atari:

"Additionally, coming early 2024 we will be bringing four additional 7800/2600 games to market"

It looks like we'll be getting at least one 7800 game. I wonder if it will be an old game re-released, a whole new game (like Mr Run and Jump) or a revised version (like the new Berzerk)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dancero said:

is PAL

20231118_105345.jpg

Looks correct. There were (at least) two PAL versions (and many hacks), which have different colors.

SpaceInvaders(1980)(Atari)(PAL)fixed.png.9af53b6eba9446fff5dd3e7b042a9f6e.png SpaceInvaders(1980)(Atari)(PAL)differentspeedandcolors.png.8e4eb16f613a2923d384a19f8efea51e.png

Space Invaders (1980) (Atari, Richard Maurer) (CX2632, CX2632P) (PAL) [different speed and colors].bin Space Invaders (1980) (Atari, Richard Maurer) (CX2632, CX2632P) (PAL) [different speed and colors] [fixed].bin

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

my image looks darker than those. I have read that the console has problems with some PAL games. Surely an update will fix the problem.

Same Problem with RS Soccer, Battlezone, Dragonfire, Dig Dug...

Edited by dancero

Mine arrived yesterday and I played a few 2600 and 7800 games last night and I'm very impressed. Really enjoying it. I had a bit of a sound issue where it seemed every other sound was muted but it stopped after a bit. Imagine every other jump in frostbite being muted. Like that. May be my soundbar, not sure as I briefly heard music but no voices while watching that new Monarch show on Apple tv last night too.

Anyway, love the 2600+ and my wife proved once again why she is the master at frostbite 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

All four games are using standard Atari bankswitching (F8). So from the software side, they should work.

These reports make me a bit worried about the cart connector.

Just for completeness, on the same cart other games are working fine: Beamrider (PAL), Pengo (NTSC), Subterranea (NTSC) and the Robot Tank (F8 Conversion, NTSC) from Batari.

The cart has no shell, since it just a test, but on Retron77 and a Junior is really easy to insert it perfectly, while on 2600+ you need to pay more attention to align it correctly. With original carts, it seems that those produced by Atari fits perfectly (booted all at first attempt at the moment), but with River Raid from Activitions it required 3/4 attempts to have it working. The same cart on Retron77 worked at first attempt.

I think I'll burn another couple of eproms to further check.

1 hour ago, m.o.terra kaesi said:

@Thomas Jentzsch

Something I've been dying to ask for a long time: Have you also ordered an Atari 2600+ or will you? 

😅

Nope, I will get one from Plaion. Not for playing, but for testing and helping with development.

And I wouldn't have bought one myself, because I am not collecting carts and I already own a R77 (which I hardly use).

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Philsan said:

If I am not wrong, compared to original console, I found difficulty switches reversed, at least in Video Olympics: a= normal size paddle, b= half size paddle

Can you test more games? I am curious if that's true for all games.

Fired up my 2600+ and neither copy of bump and jump works despite both working on real hardware. Cleaned and tested. I either get loading game failed or graphical glitches like pictured. This despite the compatibility list saying it passed.

Strangely I tried my telegames PAL version and it worked. Purple car but it worked. Anyone else have trouble with this game?

20231118_075445.jpg

20 minutes ago, AtariLeaf said:

Fired up my 2600+ and neither copy of bump and jump works despite both working on real hardware. Cleaned and tested. I either get loading game failed or graphical glitches like pictured. This despite the compatibility list saying it passed.

Strangely I tried my telegames PAL version and it worked. Purple car but it worked. Anyone else have trouble with this game?

The original game uses M Network's own E7 bankswitching which is not supported (yet). The Telegames version was converted to Atari's standard bankswitching. Which works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

The original game uses M Network's own E7 bankswitching which is not supported (yet). The Telegames version was converted to Atari's standard bankswitching. Which works.

Thanks Thomas so the compatibility list is a little off in that some games have different versions where some work and some don't. At least now I know why so thank you

Something I have been curious of here for a long time but seems very appropriate for this thread. "Back in the day" was there ever a massive export of N/A NTSC games into Europe? The reason I ask is that my entire 2600 cartridge set (50+ games) have all been acquired from eBay and been UK sellers. A minority seem to be PAL, represented by the 'P' on the back of the cart. I also believe this to be the case as the bulk of them work and display properly on my Sears Video Arcade with only a handful being in black and white - mostly the 'P' carts. I'm honestly just curious, I can't think of any other system you can go on your native eBay and have most the carts in the opposite region.

It makes trying them again on my 2600+ in a few weeks all the more interesting..

13 hours ago, Albert said:

I'm on the same page as far as manuals go. But I may be biased since I've been producing physical manuals for games for the last 20 years, and of all the physical assets (boxes, labels, manuals, posters, etc.), manuals certainly take the most amount of work by far. I will wield my influence in this area, but cannot guarantee anything. 

..Al

yes!! please

Edited by Bitsized

28 minutes ago, Philsan said:

Confirmed, reversed difficulty switch behaviour in original Phoenix PAL cart too.

Ouch. People have confused A(dvanced)/B(eginner) in the past. It looks like this happened again.

At least this problem can be fixed by the users.

• Like 2