IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

9 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Just to let you know what we are looking at for the first update to the 2600+ software

7800 emulation upgrade 

7800 dumper upgrade to fix reported PAL cart errors and enable homebrew

2600 PAL colour palette change to z26

2600 dumper upgrade to fix Realsports Boxing, Circus Convoy, CBS RAM Plus and M-Network games

2600 difficulty switch reversal

2600/7800 auto detect cart region for 50/60hz display

Maybe elements within these points we run into difficulties, maybe more fixes are added, at this moment in time I just need to become bit clearer on whats acheivable and in what timeframe.

I'll be posting here with more details on these points and giving an indication of when a update will be available in the next few weeks.

Sounds excellent.

Is it possible to include a "force 60hz" option, so we can run unoptimised PAL carts at full speed?

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Just to let you know what we are looking at for the first update to the 2600+ software

Very good.

20 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

7800 dumper upgrade to fix reported PAL cart errors and enable homebrew

2600 dumper upgrade to fix Realsports Boxing, Circus Convoy, CBS RAM Plus and M-Network games

Will you enable more 2600 homebrews too? At least the non-ARM homebrews could be supported quite easily.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2023 at 2:19 PM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

The original game uses M Network's own E7 bankswitching which is not supported (yet). The Telegames version was converted to Atari's standard bankswitching. Which works.

Is there a converted version of Super Cobra available somewhere?

3 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

Does that mean that some PAL carts might run slower after update?

No. The display frame rate of the 2600+ and the emulation frame rate of Stella are independent. Even if the 2600+ displays at 60 Hz, the PAL games still run at ~50Hz.

2 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I would like to but I need carts and list of schemes to send to developer.

You can find a quite good description in the headers of Stella's "Cart..." classes. And if anything is not clear, the code should tell the truth. And I am sure Albert can provide the necessary carts for testing.

• Like 3

Finally received mine today which I ordered directly from Atari the day it was announced.

I have to say that I really like the system. Of course, the first game I wanted to play was Ms. Pacman to see how the new joysticks work as well as see if I saw any lag. I must say that the system worked perfectly! I really like the joysticks and feel that they are spot on! Great work! Will definitely be playing other games this week, but had to post that I really like the system.

May be an image of television, video games and text

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I received my 2600+ over the weekend and ran through all of my retail 7800 games. Of 52 NTSC games tested, only 2 would not load: Rampage and Double Dragon.   They were thoroughly cleaned and both work fine on a real 7800. All other carts loaded on the first try.

I know that Rampage had been reported, but didn't see Double Dragon mentioned here.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

at this moment in time I just need to become bit clearer on whats acheivable and in what timeframe.

I'd say see what fixes can be implemented for an christmas update and spread the more complex / time consuming fixes at a later moment.

Just now, SuperZapperRecharge said:

Do you need a wider range of beta testers for the update? Don't have my 2600+ yet because of, well um Atari delays :(. I'm sure others here would be willing to do a broader beta test after the initial tests pass.

Yeah it's been on my mind to post a request for community help with beta testing, but I think I leave myself open to accusations of freeloading for commercial gain - this has happened already on this forum. I have to be considered and thoughtful. Pissing people off that built the 2600 scene for 30 years after Atari left it is something that I want to avoid.

Generally a big update is made to the firmware and I then travel to the Embracer Archive in Sweden to individually test around 300 original carts. Usually a 4 day round trip. I'm not moaning about visiting such a cool place but still you can see it's certainly an undertaking.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Generally a big update is made to the firmware and I then travel to the Embracer Archive in Sweden to individually test around 300 original carts. Usually a 4 day round trip. I'm not moaning about visiting such a cool place but still you can see it's certainly an undertaking.

I offer my assistance with this endeavor. 

..Al

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Albert said:

Sounds like you need someone to keep you from being distracted!

..Al

I recall one of them saying to me something like oh we found a load of Atari, Activision, Nintendo, and Tigervision prototype development cartridges in a shoe box with one of the 2600 collections, do you want to see them?

I'm paraphrasing but my answer was something like "You flipping better get that box over here stat!" 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2