IGNORED

The new Atari 2600+ w/HDMI out and 2600/7800 support

tremoloman2006

3 hours ago, Dionoid said:

To other homebrew developers: what are your thoughts on this?

I had some related thoughts too. But nevertheless, I will not actively support incompatible hardware. If it works fine, if not, not my problem.

Make the hardware compatible to the original!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

My feelings echo Thomas' above.

This is a much better looking Retron 77. I would have had a new product instead of another version of what came out previously. If people say we don't know what the Atari 2600+ is yet, we actually do. This is a Stella based platform with a cartridge slot. It's not a new emulator. We already have this. It's a good departure point, though. Hopefully this represents the start of something good. I hope it sells well enough that Atari decides to go back and make a good version of this thing.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I had some related thoughts too.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the new Atari 2600+ will bring me back to the "pure 6507" homebrew camp. While I love the power of ARM and C that allowed me to port Lode Runner to the 2600, for me it is more important that my games can be played on all devices, even if the Atari 2600+ doesn't have 100% hardware compatibility with the original 2600.

3 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Make the hardware compatible to the original!

Agree. Boulder Dash for the Atari 2600 should be able to just work when inserted into the Atari 2600+.

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, hizzy said:

This is a much better looking Retron 77

I totally agree. I just don't like the Retron 77's looks and the fact that you have to enter cartridges the other way around (what were they thinking?).

I'm a sucker for the looks of the new Atari 2600+.

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 2

On 8/28/2023 at 12:23 PM, Laner said:

The past several years of Chenais running the show left a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths - crypto, hotels, the VCS, $1000 collector sets, etc. I don't think the 2600+ is nearly as egregious as the VCS, but I can understand the naysayer' sentiments to a degree. 

Additionally, there's a loud contingent of Nintendo fans who see anything prior to the NES as crap and worthy of ridicule, so I'm sure that factors in as well.

And then there's the constant nagging of microscopic fanbases like for MiSTer and other alternatives who are full of know it alls trying to push a potentially technically superior product (that also happens to cost 4x as much) and requires tons of homework and parts buying/sourcing just to make it work.

I'll take the run of the mill 2600 console purists over these guys any day.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, polyex said:

Here is a suggestion, perhaps list all the products that you like and plan on purchasing on a website. That way the internet can know ahead of time what they should not be critical of. 

I will definitely take you up on this, if you host the website for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

And then there's the constant nagging of microscopic fanbases like for MiSTer and other alternatives who are full of know it alls trying to push a potentially technically superior product

You keep saying you don't want to read about the MiSTer any more overall and in this thread but you keep bringing it up?

• Like 2

On 8/27/2023 at 5:21 AM, ls650 said:

Try Amazon Germany.  I tried several but it was the only seller willing to ship to Canada.

On 8/27/2023 at 6:16 AM, Jstick said:

Thanks for the tip, it got me to check Amazon.com and apparently they will ship here for about $16, which isn't too bad.

Unfortunately it looks like the new joysticks and paddles aren't available on Amazon though.  It would be disappointing if those are Atari webstore exclusives, as they won't ship outside of the US.

So, I emailed Atari yesterday about the lack of shipping to Canada. Today, all the existing Atari 2600+ products are available to preorder on amazon.ca! 🍁 Coincidence...? Anyhow, I'm cancelling my German and US orders. Less hassle with duty and other fees...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, atwwong said:

I emailed Atari yesterday about the lack of shipping to Canada. Today, all the existing Atari 2600+ products are available to preorder on amazon.ca! 🍁 Coincidence...? Anyhow, I'm cancelling my German and US orders. Less hassle with duty and other fees...

Thanks for pointing that out.  I've done the same, and the Canadian order is at least $60 cheaper.

• Like 2

On 8/29/2023 at 6:18 AM, hizzy said:

My feelings echo Thomas' above.

This is a much better looking Retron 77. I would have had a new product instead of another version of what came out previously. If people say we don't know what the Atari 2600+ is yet, we actually do. This is a Stella based platform with a cartridge slot. It's not a new emulator. We already have this. It's a good departure point, though. Hopefully this represents the start of something good. I hope it sells well enough that Atari decides to go back and make a good version of this thing.

This should be a good version. It ain’t. They’ve had plenty of chances. And it’s no Retron 77, as you can’t put superior custom firmware on it and load ROMs from an SD card.

• Like 2

And let's not forget the name...

Am I the only one who cares?   This is the VCAss all over again.  No thought whatsoever...They could have come out with a Superior product (For example an HDMI out ATARI 2600 VCS, or A/V Out 2600 VCS, or FPGA 2600 VCS), and called it, well anything...Even,  Maybe a 2600 + ,...The Plus implies, of course,  that it does MORE than your original VCS,  but a more accurate name (for this) would be the 2600 MINUS, 2600 NOPE, 2600 LESS, or 2600 ARRRG FU*K ME! because this thing does LESS than your (Oh here we go again with names so I'll have to call it) original, 70s or 80s, ATARI VCS 2600!!

By the time this is over,  you'll realize you could have bought a much more compatible VCS with A/V + S-Video mods, and probably had some money left over for Tacos...Or save it for Homebrews...   Because you know you'll be able to play them!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

And it’s no Retron 77, as you can’t put superior custom firmware on it and load ROMs from an SD card.

It has been stated that the emulator can be upgraded (using the USB port where the power supply plugs in). So there's the possibility that  a "custom" firmware could be installed in the same way, but that's something we won't know for sure until after the unit ships. Hopefully an OTG cable and an USB stick or external card reader will allow to load roms (maybe, for those with soldering skills, it might be possible to add a second USB port or an SD slot directly?).

• Like 4

5 hours ago, alex_79 said:

It has been stated that the emulator can be upgraded (using the USB port where the power supply plugs in). So there's the possibility that  a "custom" firmware could be installed in the same way, but that's something we won't know for sure until after the unit ships. Hopefully an OTG cable and an USB stick or external card reader will allow to load roms (maybe, for those with soldering skills, it might be possible to add a second USB port or an SD slot directly?).

If there's one USB port that's used for power, how is it going to be used for upgrades at the same time?   Hubs take power from the host device, not feed power to it,   Unless there''s some USB-C magic that I'm not aware of?

11 minutes ago, zzip said:

If there's one USB port that's used for power, how is it going to be used for upgrades at the same time?   Hubs take power from the host device, not feed power to it,   Unless there''s some USB-C magic that I'm not aware of?

Didn't stop hacking of the newer Flashbacks.  Used a micro USB splitter.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, zzip said:

Typically, upstream USB connectors supply power to downstream USB devices, but it can be reversed or even injected between to ensure enough current.

45 minutes ago, zzip said:

If there's one USB port that's used for power, how is it going to be used for upgrades at the same time? 

With an OTG Y-cable.

E.g. here are the official instructions for upgrading an AtGames "Flashback X" console:

http://legendsultimate.atgames.net/arcade/consoles/AtariFlashbackXFirmwareUpgrade.pdf

• Like 2

It's a good thing I bought a 2600 Jr. I used to do a Flashback 9 but it doesn't work with ARM-based games (Champ Games) and RetroN 77 and this new 2600+ don't sit well with people like myself who happen to be purists that know damn well that no emulator will ever be able to do the same and in the same way as an actual 1970's-80s console.

I am proud to say that all of my gaming systems, are actual vintage gaming consoles albeit running off of newer (UpBright brand. slim design with transverse plug blades) power supplies (my 5200 runs on a 5.5 x 2.1 mm barrel) with the necessary dongles (for the 2600 Jr. - 5.5 x 2.1 barrel-to-3.5 mm miniplug, and for the 7800 - 5.5 x 2.1 mm barrel-to-OEM-style plug) on each for full interchangeability and compatibility. My XEGS runs on a newer supply I also picked up through The Brewing Academy, after all you cannot trust those vintage bricks!!!

Edited by BIGHMW
  • Like 1

On 8/30/2023 at 11:45 PM, WaverBoy said:

This should be a good version. It ain’t. They’ve had plenty of chances. And it’s no Retron 77, as you can’t put superior custom firmware on it and load ROMs from an SD card.

Ok - firstly, you've never actually seen this in person, so you really don't have any idea what can or can't be done with it.

Secondly - ANY system can have custom firmware put on it, it just requires someone to know how.

There's a very good chance the USB-C port on this can be used to load up any manner of unintended devices or storage.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2023 at 9:37 AM, Kaboomer said:

There are also a bunch of new HW in their Shop. New Paddles. Berzerk (Enhanced) and standard Run and Jump. Very interesting! 

https://atari.com/collections/atari-2600-plus

These new games are not on the compatibility list for the 2600+. Does anyone know if the new games from Atari will work on the new 2600+? It seems to be implied but not outright stated.

On 8/22/2023 at 9:37 AM, Kaboomer said:

There are also a bunch of new HW in their Shop. New Paddles. Berzerk (Enhanced) and standard Run and Jump. Very interesting! 

https://atari.com/collections/atari-2600-plus

These new games are not on the compatibility list for the 2600+. Does anyone know if the new games from Atari will work on the new 2600+? It seems to be implied but not outright stated.

19 minutes ago, skorphy said:

Does anyone know if the new games from Atari will work on the new 2600+? It seems to be implied but not outright stated.

The product details section shows this:

image.thumb.png.c0b1132b14c255611e86956a2a269327.png

However I assume these new cartridges (Berzerk Enhanced and Mr. Run and Jump) are NTSC, so colors won't display correctly when playing on a original Atari 2600 PAL machine. But still playable, of course.

Edited by Dionoid

11 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

The product details section shows this:

image.thumb.png.c0b1132b14c255611e86956a2a269327.png

However I assume these new cartridges (Berzerk Enhanced and Mr. Run and Jump) are NTSC, so colors won't display correctly when playing on a original Atari 2600 PAL machine. But still playable, of course.

Good catch. I was focusing on the 2600+ site, should have checked out the actual game product details. Thanks.