IGNORED

The new Atari 2600+ w/HDMI out and 2600/7800 support

tremoloman2006

On 11/6/2023 at 5:05 PM, ToddUGA said:

Just picked up a 7800 game pad from RetroGameBoyz. Looking forward to trying it out when the 2600+ is released.

IMG_2936.jpeg

Been using one of those on an OG 7800 for a few months (although without the hat on the d-pad) - works brilliantly!

sTeVE

Edited by Jetboot Jack

Quite excited for the Atari 2600+  : )

Just the idea that in 2023 you can enter a shop and buy an Atari with cartridges is super cool. However, I hope that they will publish new games for it and improve compatibility over time. Otherwise it's just "another way" to play old cartridges on a modern tv.

Why can't it use 5200 cartridges, I am guessing they are not the same size cartridge..?
I never had a Atari 5200 or 7800, I when straight to the XEGS system, I still have it and its 800 carts, all them systems were made by Commodore's Jack Tremiel wasn't they, he took over Atari in 1985.

Edited by Spanner

5 hours ago, Spanner said:

Why can't it use 5200 cartridges, I am guessing they are not the same size cartridge..?

Go take a google for 5200 cartridge and then compare to a 2600 cart.  The 5200 format size is HUGE in comparison.

The 2600+ went with 2600 format because that is by far the most well-remembered and popular of the various systems.  The 7800, unlike the earlier 5200, was specifically designed to have a cartridge format that was compatible with the 2600, and so adding on 7800-compatibility wasn't so difficult.

To have compatibility with either 5200 or the 8-bits (or Lynx, or Jaguar...) would require completely different hardware ports.

16 minutes ago, ls650 said:

Go take a google for 5200 cartridge and then compare to a 2600 cart.  The 5200 format size is HUGE in comparison.

Haha, I love the chonkiness of the 5200 cartridges.  Between all the Atari systems, I have the largest collection of Jaguar carts... but 5200 is probably (percentage wise) the second.  I love the cart size of those.  I figured there were far too many 2600 / atari8 carts out there.  But 7800 is a small enough library to get a set...

On 10/31/2023 at 1:51 AM, adamchevy said:

I would be more excited if they would have added someway to use the Concerto cartridge.  I'm sure a hack will come along pretty quickly. 

I mean... why ? There's actually not that many worthwhile 7800 games out of a core few. Let's face it, it was during a time where Atari couldn't even be bothered to print color labels on the games. I mean Hat Trick came out the same time that Blades of Steel came out. The kids knew this, that's why I was a pariah for having a 7800 and not a NES until 1988 which was an eternity for a kid. Deep down I never forgave Atari for that. Or the Karateka developers. God that game stunk. Meanwhile my friends were playing Blaster Master and reading Nintendo Power... ugh. 

Which one was competent ? Ya know ? Other than Food Fight, Robotron and Ballblazer (??)... maybe Commando and a couple others. I don't see many running at the chance to play Jinks. 

Still I'm not saying i'm against it. But I can count my good Atari 7800 games with a pair of hands. Don't mind grabbing the carts for those. Homebrews make it way better, but none of them work.

2600 on the other hand really needs flash cart support, some games are super hard to find or buy. So that's why I'm more excited about Harmony. I don't have to pay 100 bucks for a copy of Beamrider to play it on this one. :) 

Edited by tradyblix

2 hours ago, tradyblix said:

Homebrews make it way better, but none of them work

This is why it would be a very good move to get a firmware-update that either read all homebrews (single cart) or read everything on any (advanced) multicart.

It could also make many retro-gamers discover the homebrew scene for the first time, and get a chance to to see what the 7800 actually can do, and experience some very well devrloped later 2600 games.

(This may not be the number one thing. for those only interested in playing it to revisit old memories, but more to those who’re into retro gaming in a broader sense).

- - -

I also think there are more than 10

original titles worth playing, and I didn’t have neither NES nor Atari in the 80ies. (It was mostly C64, then in ‘89, an Amiga 500, which as to capacity is an different league entirely, of course).

Of course, some of those better 7800-titles came out after 1988…

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Giles N said:

This is why it would be a very good move to get a firmware-update that either read all homebrews (single cart) or read everything on any (advanced) multicart.

No firmware update will give it the ability to use a Harmony or similar type of multicart that selects a game from a menu system because of the way the hardware works. It reads the game off the cartridge and DUMPS it to memory, this is also why the cart does not load instantly as on a real original 2600, you are witnessing the short delay while the game is dumped and loaded into the memory for play in the emulator, this is why it can only process single games. Think Harmony cart, the console hardware attempts to read the cart and dump the contents, it cannot dump the menu system let alone the harmony architecture that supports it, it's a hardware limitation. This is why the included "multicart" uses DIP SWITCHES to effectively select a game and turn the cart into a single game cartridge at that time. The hardware cannot magically do what it is not designed to regardless of firmware.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/2/2023 at 5:55 AM, Hawkangel said:

Apparently all the 2600+ consoles in any region are the same unit and can play both PAL and NTSC retail region cartridges. 

That might be true for 2600 carts. PAL 7800 carts won´t run as advertised by Atari - many simply do not work. I think it´s quite misleading to advertise the 2600+ as playing 7800 carts in PAL territory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

The hardware cannot magically do what it is not designed to regardless of firmware.

I would think the same, but @Albert has repeatedly stating that they are working on a solution. I suppose we will find out if and how it works.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, panamajoe said:

That might be true for 2600 carts. PAL 7800 carts won´t run as advertised by Atari - many simply do not work. I think it´s quite misleading to advertise the 2600+ as playing 7800 carts in PAL territory.

I don't know the 7800 emulator, but I suppose it has less auto detection capabilities than Stella. So it has to know and identify the given ROM and look into its property database. Stella cannot use this database for most bankswitched ROMs, because the new dumps differ from the known ones. Which is because hotspots return random data. So what is rescuing Stella, is the auto detection.

If the 7800 emulator needs its properties to run a ROM, then I suppose these are either missing (maybe nobody cared for PAL ROMs) or cannot be used because the dumps differ.

The old ProSystem has the PAL and NTSC versions of the cart in its database. That is why it attempts to run them. But the number of visible scanlines is different. That may be why PAL screens do not show the entire playfield.

[fc0ea52a9fac557251b65ee680d951e5]
title=Ms. Pac-Man
type=0
pokey=false
controller1=1
controller2=1
region=0
flags=0

[56469e8c5ff8983c6cb8dadc64eb0363]
title=Ms. Pac-Man
type=0
pokey=false
controller1=1
controller2=1
region=1
flags=0

As you can see there is absolutely nothing important in the ProSystem database. The only thing that differs between NTSC and PAL is the region that is either 0 or 1.

5 minutes ago, karri said:

The old ProSystem has the PAL and NTSC versions of the cart in its database. That is why it attempts to run them. But the number of visible scanlines is different. That may be why PAL screens do not show the entire playfield.

I think the 2600+ always outputs @ 60 Hz (with NTSC scanlines). This causes jerky movement for PAL-50 games. Do you face the same problem with 7800 PAL games? Can you check what your TV tells about the output format?