IGNORED

Thoughts on revising or compiling others' programs

senior_falcon
Message added by OLD CS1,

This was created as a split from another thread to keep the ensuing conversation separated, and was neither started nor titled by the listed owner.

6 minutes ago, tmop69 said:

I was not referring to you asking and receiving the permission from @Tursito modify again his modified code of Burghertime. Data East owns the copyright of Burghertime, that is still on sale in compilations like the Data East Collection for the Evercade.

It is more than obvious I cannot help you understand this answer as I cannot help you understand my complaint in the first place, from which the answer to this question can be inferred.

7 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

It is more than obvious I cannot help you understand this answer as I cannot help you understand my complaint in the first place, from which the answer to this question can be inferred.

And it's the same for me. Anyway, it was fun, however is now lasting too long, so maybe we can agree to stop here and move forward.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, tmop69 said:

And it's the same for me. Anyway, it was fun, however is now lasting too long, so maybe we can agree to stop here and move forward.

This was most certainly not "fun" by any measure of the term.  But an armistice is easy enough to accomplish, and I have already given the recipe: stay on your side of the street and I will stay on mine.  As much as I want to, and, oh damn, how much I want to, it is inappropriate for me to block you.  Do not take advantage of that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Everyone can take their chances on modifying others' content. Worst I've ever seen is the owner complains and asks the person to stop. Court is expensive.

HOWEVER,

On this forum, when you are modifying content of someone that posts on this forum all the time, meaning they are active, instead of acting like they don't exist, just let them know what you want to do. It's a respect thing. 

If that was done here this whole thread would be meaningless. 

Edited by 99V
  • Like 5

On 8/24/2023 at 4:53 AM, tmop69 said:

Interesting point. So it's not alright to modify a program, but it's ok to use a modified program (and also complain if it's not working fine). I'm referring to the Burghertime thread in with @Tursi changed the background music of the game (https://forums.atariage.com/topic/353873-fixing-burgertimes-background-music/?do=findComment&comment=5299522).

Never mind, I see where this went. ;)

Edited by Tursi

On 8/24/2023 at 5:29 AM, Retrospect said:

Now, I'm not trying to stir the pot here, and neither do I wish to be "involved" in the argument but it's a fair point about Burgertime.  If that IP is still in ownership by any company, how did you (persons involved) get around altering the Rom legally ?   I missed that part of the asked/answered.   I've run out of bloody popcorn as well, i'm onto chocolate digestives now.

Nothing illegal about modifying it. Distributing it, that's not legal. Of course it's still owned by someone. We've no idea who, but there's no commercial software that has just fallen out of copyright, the period is too long.

The difference between "is it legal" and "does anyone care" is vast, however. And so using one to prop up or tear down the other, in either direction, is a strawman argument that comes up all the time.

This is all just opening up the same usual can of worms about "legal", "not legal", etc. All that was requested was the courtesy of asking any authors still in the community before messing with their productions. If that's too much trouble, skip their production. They might well come to you. It's not a difficult thing, but it's being made one. ;)

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, Retrospect said:

Marble Maze. You were the last one to comment on it.

And why is it saying that it (this topic here) "neither was started nor titled by the listed owner" ( @senior_falcon )

That´s exactly what I remember, or think to remember, that it was started by him.

Or am I 🤪 ? (sorry, I don´t know the correct english word for that)

5 minutes ago, Schmitzi said:

And why is it saying that it (this topic here) "neither was started nor titled by the listed owner" ( @senior_falcon )

That´s exactly what I remember, or think to remember, that it was started by him.

Mate ... if you're confused in German I'm f**ked if I know what's going on in English.  :P

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Schmitzi said:

On 8/24/2023 at 7:30 AM, tmop69 said:

I was not referring to you asking and receiving the permission from @Tursito modify again his modified code of Burghertime. Data East owns the copyright of Burghertime, that is still on sale in compilations like the Data East Collection for the Evercade.

You have modified Burgertime by adding an h. You shall be flogged by the copyright police. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, 99V said:

You have modified Burgertime by adding an h. You shall be flogged by the copyright police. 

This is a really sophisticated stealing technique to avoid to be intercepted until the modified and improved idea has skyrocketed in popularity. After that phase you have earned enough money to sustain a long trial, continue to earn money and, finally, eventually pay some royalties. Do you know the story of Facebook?

🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Schmitzi said:

yeah, maybe I do not understand the grammatic or the way how splitting works. no prob if so

A bunch of posts within an existing thread were removed from that thread to create a new one.  When the new thread is created, the post at the top of the selection becomes the first post of the newly created thread, the owner of the first post becomes the thread owner.  The thread is titled by whomever makes the split.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1