IGNORED

Atari 5200 Retail Display Stand refurb?

Xbrawl

I recently inherited a 5200 Retail Display Stand.  My father was able to acquire this from work and it’s been in our family’s garage for 40 years untouched.  Needs a good clean out for the dust but I’m curious, are these still in demand and worth refurbishing?  I’m not necessarily attached to this system since it pre-dates me but if it still has market demand, I’ll put the work in to clean it up.  Not a lot of threads or details about these things so hoping I can lean on the enthusiast community for a realistic idea of what I have.  

IMG_2301.jpeg

IMG_2303.jpeg

IMG_2302.jpeg

• Like 5

There is definitely interest in these, and it's looking surprisingly complete.  What was the backstory on how he ended up with it?

IIRC, the Pac-Man cartridge is basically a glued-in shell, the controller storage area doesn't open, and there's a plastic strip over where the controller ports would have been.

Nifty.  Where are you located?

• Like 1

My dad worked at Service Merchandise in the 80s and when this was to be discarded, he grabbed a truck and brought it to where it sits today.  I’m gonna clean all the dust up, power it up and see what all it’s looking like since I’m pretty confident it hasn’t been touched since the day it came off the retail sales floor.  

I’m located in Delaware. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Xbrawl said:

I recently inherited a 5200 Retail Display Stand.  My father was able to acquire this from work and it’s been in our family’s garage for 40 years untouched.  Needs a good clean out for the dust but I’m curious, are these still in demand and worth refurbishing?  I’m not necessarily attached to this system since it pre-dates me but if it still has market demand, I’ll put the work in to clean it up.  Not a lot of threads or details about these things so hoping I can lean on the enthusiast community for a realistic idea of what I have.  

IMG_2301.jpeg

IMG_2303.jpeg

IMG_2302.jpeg

It’s beautiful. What a Time Capsule. This is right up there with the classic car barn finds IMO.

• Like 3

It'd be interesting to see how the joystick mechanisms were implemented.  They would have needed to stand up to a lot more abuse than controllers in the home, and from looking at those two it appears as though they may self-centre.

FWIW, I used to see these (and other) demo kiosks pop up occasionally at arcade game auctions in the early 2000s.  Kinda kicking myself now that I didn't pick one up.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2023 at 8:14 PM, Xbrawl said:

IMG_2301.jpeg

XBrawl, if you can help ship it.. I'm interested in it and would be willing to pay a fair price. Please let me know... (please PM me if interested).

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got some free time to dive back into this.  Apparently dad had been hiding some more games and instruction manuals to them (and other games he didn’t have under there).  Minus the cobwebs, everything looked relatively in tact.  

plugged in and after about 1-2 mins, I got all the lights powered up and tv came on.  Got no red led on the board underneath and started fishing around looking for a power switch.  Found something behind the physical motherboard for the system but didn’t seem like it gave me anything.  

Anyone aware if there was an external power switch on these things?   I couldn’t pull it all the way out solo to scan the back unfortunately so I’ll have to bring friends next visit to assist with moving it out.  

IMG_2480.jpeg

IMG_2471.jpeg

IMG_2473.jpeg

IMG_2476.jpeg

IMG_2478.jpeg

IMG_2477.jpeg

IMG_2479.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2023 at 2:47 PM, Xbrawl said:

Finally got some free time to dive back into this.  Apparently dad had been hiding some more games and instruction manuals to them (and other games he didn’t have under there).  Minus the cobwebs, everything looked relatively in tact.  

plugged in and after about 1-2 mins, I got all the lights powered up and tv came on.  Got no red led on the board underneath and started fishing around looking for a power switch.  Found something behind the physical motherboard for the system but didn’t seem like it gave me anything.  

Anyone aware if there was an external power switch on these things?   I couldn’t pull it all the way out solo to scan the back unfortunately so I’ll have to bring friends next visit to assist with moving it out.  

IMG_2478.jpeg

IMG_2477.jpeg

IMG_2479.jpeg

This is really cool! Atari was known for producing a lot of arcade machines back in the day, and it appears to me that they literally used their arcade components to put together this kiosk. This is literally an arcade machine. I think you probably already know what you're looking at since you took picture of these distinct components, but above in what I quoted, that first one is obviously a 4-Port Atari 5200 with the case off. The second image above is the sound board... which is basically an amplifier. This is the same amplifier that's used in all the Atari arcade machines, including my Missile Command Arcade. Next is the third image, which you recognize of course as the power supply. This is also... literally, the same power supply that's found in all the Atari cabinets, including my Atari Missile Command.

Any updates on this? I'd love to see this thing restored... I'm also still interested in it :) ... if you've changed your mind. Let us know!!!