IGNORED

AtariAge + Atari Q&A

Albert

2 hours ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

so, what is the state of the Amiga platform in the opinion of this group? Hardware? Software? What is the appetite for Amiga content?

I never had one. That's what all the rich kids had, while I played C64c, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I grew up on Windows 95 so I never really had any experience with classic PC platforms. I have an Atari XEGS but I only plug carts into it, I never got a tape drive or floppy drive or any way to play those games. And I've never tried to run any software on it that wasn't a game. I've never even seen an Amiga, Commodore, Atari ST, etc. They just weren't a factor in any fashion when I was a kid. I grew up with all the Atari, Nintendo, and SEGA consoles in the house. By the time I was old enough to start looking backwards all those PC platforms just seemed  like far more of a hassle than playing games on my consoles, handhelds, or contemporary Windows (or, these days, Linux) PCs.

• Like 1

I googled why did atari buy atariage.  This is what popped up.

“By bringing AtariAge into the Atari family, we can ensure this important resource gets the support it needs to continue to fulfill its mission for years to come.”5 days ago

https://atari.com/blogs/newsroom/atari-acquires-atariage-uniting-with-its-retro-focused-online-community#:~:text=“By bringing AtariAge into the,mission for years to come.”

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MegaManFan said:

I respectfully disagree Thomas. I've been here since as close to day one as possible and I'm very optimistic about this move, but as you're a developer I entirely understand the myriad number of concerns you've raised, and as a fan of your work I hope that all of them are fully addressed to your satisfaction.

6 hours ago, Sauron said:

Yeah same here. Although I don't know if I really count as a "long-time member"...does more than 20 years on this site count? :cool:

Same with me. I've been here since back in the Nexus days and I'm optimistic about the move.

• Like 6

Atari SA has finally given us the cartridge loading retro system we've been pining for over twenty years for, yet this thread is an inferno of geek rage.  Madness!

An awful lot of nitpicking here from people who put Tramiel Atari on a pedestal.  The Tramiels gave us the flea market/dollar store knockoff versions of what Nintendo and Sega were doing at the time.  No money to spend on game development, no third parties - yet we're constantly told how great the Jaguar is.

Atari SA has done far more for the brand for a far longer time than the Tramiel traveling circus ever did.  They've found the proper niche for this brand and they're attempting to be a portal for retro gaming information and sales.

2600+ > Jaguar.  

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

9 hours ago, Nall3k said:

I should have specified, their console hardware division is gone.

It was actually obvious but for some reason, I misread and thought you were talking about arcade, probably because they stopped the Dreamcast a long time ago already, and I've seen a lot people claiming they're out of the arcade business lately, which is wrong.

7 hours ago, JPF997 said:

second Infogrames has been Atari since 2003, at this point Infogrames has been Atari for longer than it ever was Infogrames

Infogrames became Atari in 2009, before that they only used Atari as a brand. Look, I get you grew up with their games but, for instance, I don't see how it would be great if Atari got back the DBZ license. Historically, DB games have always been published by Bandai, so it's totally legitimate for Bandai Namco to publish DBZ games nowadays. Same for Superman and Warner (the thing is Warner notoriously kept leaving and going back into video games for decades). As the song suggests, Infogrames just had too much money at the time and grabbed every license they could get. Even Alone in the Dark doesn't really belong to them, since they kinda stole it from Frederick Raynal, who eventually "won it back" a few years ago.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, zzip said:

I'm pretty sure about 5,000 of them are Boulderdash levels :)

Not everything is listed but it would barely account to 1% of the entries. I know you were joking but that's not a lot.

The different releases for the same title would make up for something like 1 or 1.5% of the total number. Not huge either. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Fair point.   I'd always heard otherwise... (as I said off the cuff ramblings)

HMMmmmmm...

Screenshot2023-09-12at22-23-11ATariCeaseandDesist-GoogleSearch.thumb.png.acdbe525939e561c72a8ad00c88a54cf.png

Screenshot2023-09-12at22-23-48ATariCeaseandDesist-GoogleSearch.thumb.png.611ccee65606efb9078e13c7bb804a39.png

Most of those were about Andrew Davie’s site. That really sucks and makes sense of his hatred for present-day Atari. It looks like it was a grab for the domain name, which apparently was just allowed to lapse and now hosts spam ads. What a waste.

The RM800XL is a commercial product and they used Atari’s name and trademarked design without permission. That’s not smart. Atari didn’t even issue that C&D, Retro Games Ltd (the people who make TheC64 and TheA500) did.

None of the other C&Ds are targeted at fans.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

so, what is the state of the Amiga platform in the opinion of this group? Hardware? Software? What is the appetite for Amiga content?

I've always been an Atari ST user, but also had Amiga since mid 90's. It has some great gaming hardware and games from 1991 or so onwards really shows what the system can do, versus ST being a great multipurpose computer at the time with an unbeatable power/price ratio. Two different worlds.

I think it would be great to see Amiga chipset returning back home. There's so much Atari history in that machine. I'm just happy Atari did the ST instead of Amiga back in the day. I wouldn't have my career without the ST. With Amiga I would just  ended up playing games.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

I think I am only at 19 years, at least being registered. I was a lurker for a while first. I guess I am practically a newbie.

Yeah, I think I'm around 17 years now? Really doesn't seem like that long...I've always kind of felt like a newer member 😄 

I actually used the rarity guide for years before that too. I didn't own a computer so I copied the ENTIRE LIST on to one sheet of notebook paper (I was super proud I fit it on one sheet)

Carried it around in my wallet for years, still have it somewhere...Ill try to find it and snap a pic for fun. 

11 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Right now on Amazon you can buy pirated Nintendo games hundreds of times over. Nintendo doesn’t even try to take most stuff down. When they do try to take something down it’s usually because it’s getting in the way of their own releases (e.g. AM2R and Samus Returns).

Now, the Pokémon Company… they’re bloodthirsty.

Sega would mess with the Sonic community more, except… they’re frickin’ crazy and nobody wants to mess with Sonic fans.

Isn't pokemon...nintendo?

6 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

That's funny,  simply because I have a friend who claims only rich kids had home systems Like Atari 2600...He says at least he could afford to pay quarters at the arcade,  heh...

All comes down to priorities. Some of the richest friends I had back in the day had the cheapest parents (aka no or very few video games) some of the poorest friends I have now own phones that cost more then my car (quite literally) 😄 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Prince Colwyn said:

Atari SA has finally given us the cartridge loading retro system we've been pining for over twenty years for, yet this thread is an inferno of geek rage.  Madness!

An awful lot of nitpicking here from people who put Tramiel Atari on a pedestal.  The Tramiels gave us the flea market/dollar store knockoff versions of what Nintendo and Sega were doing at the time.  No money to spend on game development, no third parties - yet we're constantly told how great the Jaguar is.

Atari SA has done far more for the brand for a far longer time than the Tramiel traveling circus ever did.  They've found the proper niche for this brand and they're attempting to be a portal for retro gaming information and sales.

2600+ > Jaguar.  

When things are going well that's when people  complain about the most trivial of issues, that's just human nature I suppose.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Prince Colwyn said:

2600+ > Jaguar.  

If you read *every* post 🙂, you'll see that the conversation hasn't been particularly pro Tramiel but the ST/Jag has been mentioned a few times in the last few pages, because some of us like 'em 🙂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, www.atarimania.com said:
21 hours ago, zzip said:

I'm pretty sure about 5,000 of them are Boulderdash levels :)

Not everything is listed but it would barely account to 1% of the entries. I know you were joking but that's not a lot.

The different releases for the same title would make up for something like 1 or 1.5% of the total number. Not huge either. 

Yeah it's an exaggeration, but when I'm researching games on the site, I do encounter a lot of Boulder Dash type games and also Pinball.   Are those actual releases or just something created in Boulderdash Construction Set/Pinball Construction Set?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Prince Colwyn said:

More like we're told how great the Jag could have been if only developers could figure out how to unlock the hidden power :) 

The system held promise, but had a weak games library.   You hit the nail on the head,  Tramiel Atari never spend enough on game development/marketing to be truly competitive.

44 minutes ago, zzip said:

Yeah it's an exaggeration, but when I'm researching games on the site, I do encounter a lot of Boulder Dash type games and also Pinball. Are those actual releases or just something created in Boulderdash Construction Set/Pinball Construction Set?

Yes, tons of them on the Commodore 64 as well. 

Your definition of a release may be different. To us, a game made with Pinball Construction Set / Boulder Dash Construction Kit and distributed in the public domain is still an original creation so it counts as a single program.

• Like 3