IGNORED

AtariAge + Atari Q&A

Albert

First of all congrats Albert and wishing nothing but the best with this acquisition.  I know that there are alot of questions and feelings people will have about this.    I for one will be cautiously optimistic and am hoping for a positive collaboration from this merge.    

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Hi Al,

Happy for you. I'm sure this will make your life much easier.

On the homebrew front, what rights does this give Atari? In theory I wouldn't be adverse to my stuff being available through their distribution channels, but only if some sort of agreement was in place. I don't want to find out one day that Dungeon is suddenly in the VCS store or whatever without my knowledge.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Raiu said:

Okay, the other thing I want to know... TrogdarRobusto, is that supposed to be TrogdorRobusto?  Do you have the skills of an artist?

When I created my handle on the Xbox many years ago Trogdor was not available so I went with Trogdar ,,, but yes, that is the reference. I am good at drawing angry eyebrows and beefy arms.
My other tag is the Burninator.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Wow. Big news - I thought something was up.

Anyway congrats Al. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

Just a few thoughts:

1) I'd like to have seen the extra Harmony Cart hardware in the 2600+

2) Some of the homebrew games that were removed are so strong that Atari should be negotiating the rights for them

3) Hopefully it might be a little cheaper to obtain carts in the UK in the future

4) Don't forget the Jag and the ST line

5) What about just embracing the mods and game hacks. Maybe have a light touch approval system or something - no swearing etc

Edited by theboyfromanotherplanet
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, s0c7 said:

Hi Al,

Happy for you. I'm sure this will make your life much easier.

Thank you, I appreciate that, and making my life easier in terms of reducing how much time I have to do physical production and shipping of games, allowing me to focus on more interesting aspects of AtariAge (and Atari) is certainly one of the goals here.  :)

Just now, s0c7 said:

On the homebrew front, what rights does this give Atari? In theory I wouldn't be adverse to my stuff being available through their distribution channels, but only if some sort of agreement was in place. I don't want to find out one day that Dungeon is suddenly in the VCS store or whatever without my knowledge.

Nothing of this sort would be done without the involvement and cooperation of the original developer (or developers) of a game.

..Al

• Like 6

Al, were you involved in the enhanced version of Berzerk? I like the idea of refreshing older games at a moderate price way better than simply reissuing existing games in new collectable packaging. Feels like there are a lot of games that could benefit from advances that have been made over the years whether it's in animation, 1 player vs computer options, multi-player support, etc.

• Like 3

Congratulations, Al! I've been on this site for 20+ years and AtariAge has always felt like it's been carrying the torch for the Atari brand since it fell from the public spotlight in the post-Lynx/Jaguar days. Now that it's officially part of Atari, it feels like things have come full circle. This actually makes me more excited for the 2600+. Best of luck!

Also, welcome to the site TrogdarRobusto!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

After more than two decades of keeping this show on the road (website plus store) I can easily understand Albert's desire for a bit of relief from the relentless pressure, particularly the demand that the store makes on his time.  Just happy that Albert is still very much in the picture.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cvga said:

Al, were you involved in the enhanced version of Berzerk? I like the idea of refreshing older games at a moderate price way better than simply reissuing existing games in new collectable packaging. Feels like there are a lot of games that could benefit from advances that have been made over the years whether it's in animation, 1 player vs computer options, multi-player support, etc.

I was not, but I was aware of it. Dennis Debro put this new version together, along with assistance from Mike Mika (who created the Berzerk Voice Enhanced in the AtariAge Store).  I agree, the entire library of old games could be "enhanced" in some fashion given the knowledge, tools, and hardware available today to make games. Lots of fun possibilities there!

..Al

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, theboyfromanotherplanet said:

1) I'd like to have seen the extra Harmony Cart hardware in the 2600+

This is the first iteration of a new Atari 2600 console from Atari.  It's not likely to be the last.  :)

10 minutes ago, theboyfromanotherplanet said:

2) Some of the homebrew games that were removed are so strong that Atari should be negotiating the rights for them

That's certainly something I will be pushing for!

10 minutes ago, theboyfromanotherplanet said:

3) Hopefully it might be a little cheaper to obtain carts in the UK in the future

Yes, when I get the store migrated to a new ecommerce platform, I will be able to offer substantially less expensive international shipping rates.  I'd like to explore the possibility of a European distributor down the road as well.

11 minutes ago, theboyfromanotherplanet said:

4) Don't forget the Jag and the ST line

I'm a big fan of the Jaguar and ST computers as well.  :)

11 minutes ago, theboyfromanotherplanet said:

5) What about just embracing the mods and game hacks. Maybe have a light touch approval system or something - no swearing etc

Well, the new Berzerk Enhanced that Atari is selling is effectively a hack, so there's already precedent on this front. :)

..Al

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

We get sooooo many questions about IP/games that we published at some point but don't own the license to, or that other people published for our hardware that we don't own the rights to. 

Our hope is that the resurgence of retro hardware and games, including the new 2600+, will encourage more rights holders of games that have been out of circulation to re-release them, or assign the rights to someone else. We will see. It seems to be working for Nightdive, they keep getting their hands on great titles.

Tangentially related - when Atari managed to track down and secure the rights to the Stern Electronics games, did that also include the games Stern owned that were originally Chicago Coin titles? That'd be a neat chunk of coin-op games from the 70s that could be brought back into circulation if so. Might be worth double-checking if ya'll are unsure. 

• Like 2

Just now, ubersaurus said:

Tangentially related - when Atari managed to track down and secure the rights to the Stern Electronics games, did that also include the games Stern owned that were originally Chicago Coin titles? That'd be a neat chunk of coin-op games from the 70s that could be brought back into circulation if so. Might be worth double-checking if ya'll are unsure. 

I've got the list ... all arcade games. The Chicago Coin IP list is massive, we picked up a much, much shorter list. Berserk and Frenzy are the standouts.

• Like 6

Just now, Breakpack said:

Will some of the Last Chance games make a return officially licensed? If everyone got on the same page, I'd love to see the better versions of the Pac-Man games (among other games) with an official Namco license with Atari!

I asked the same thing. Al said he's hopeful that some could return in the future.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, cvga said:

This really. That would give so much more credibility to their current practice of just rehashing the very same old games. Take Outlaw for example - I hope that they are aware of Omegamatrix' fantastic work on menu updates, and coordinate with him to use his version for that new XP Outlaw release.

Edited by r_type2600
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Breakpack said:

Will some of the Last Chance games make a return officially licensed? If everyone got on the same page, I'd love to see the better versions of the Pac-Man games (among other games) with an official Namco license with Atari!

I am very hopeful that we'll be able to acquire/license more IP that will allow me to return some games to the store. 

..Al

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, r_type2600 said:

Take Outlaw for example...

I would have much preferred that Gunfight, which is way superior IMO, had stayed in the store.

@Albert

Why did it get removed anyway? The music?

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Albert said:

I was not, but I was aware of it. Dennis Debro put this new version together, along with assistance from Mike Mika (who created the Berzerk Voice Enhanced in the AtariAge Store).  I agree, the entire library of old games could be "enhanced" in some fashion given the knowledge, tools, and hardware available today to make games. Lots of fun possibilities there!

..Al

I've seen Dennis' name with the new Atari. I guess that's why we haven't seen him around here lately. He must have a few more projects with them.

Edited by Bakasama
  • Like 4