IGNORED

AtariAge + Atari Q&A

Albert

3 hours ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

Our goal is to support the site and the community. There is no hidden agenda ... but I can say that all day long, only time will prove it to be true. I can say that we have two very active Discord communities and our members are not shy about telling us how they feel, especially when they thing that we have done something wrong. We can take criticism, we just ask that it not get personal. Al can better speak to the 'ownership' issue you have raised, and I think he has addressed it in this thread once or twice.

Time and actions are is definitely the proof of this pudding. Happy you understand that and are in it for the long haul.

Welcome home @TrogdarRobusto!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Albert said:

Yeah, the name could probably be changed, that's something I will explore, as Gunfight is a great homebrew, and one of the earlier games in the store.

..Al

When Magnavox Odysseyripped off the Outlaw concept, they called it “SHOWDOWN IN 2100 A.D.!” if you wanted an idea that would use some small text on a label. 

37 minutes ago, Vectrexer said:

So long as FakeTari doesn't,,, 

Turn AtariAge into an advertising landmine site, 

Or screw over other non Atari platforms like Vectrex, 

Or generally screw over existing users in some way,

Or data mine for adversarial purposes, 

Or generally screw up AtariAge in some way, 

Or close down the site's forums, or main site,  

,,,, it's all good.@Albert

Well put (except for the Fake part — the Wade Rosen Atari regime has been benevolent).

Atari bought MobyGames and left them alone, and it’s reasonable to expect the same for AtariAge. With how many times Atari has changed hands and died and come back, it seems to me like Atari needs Albert more than Albert needs Atari. This site is a wealth of historical information that can only augment the brand. Having more resources for the site should be a positive development and should shore up the site in ways that a single person might not have been able to support.  

It’s also quite the feather in Albert’s cap to be recognized and rewarded in this way. Congratulations @Albert!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

Every time I get on a call with Al it feels like he is assembling carts. Just like almost every time I get on the phone with Nolan he is in his garage with a soldering iron on his desk, surrounded by boxes of parts. I think we can free up a lot of Al's time, but I kind of think he likes assembly ;) 

Maybe @Albert could run a vocational program as an After School Enrichment Program for 6-12 grades. Both to pass on the enthusiasm, and to recruit new builders.  Oh wait,,,, that would be yet another job....   

3 minutes ago, Vectrexer said:

Maybe @Albert could run a vocational program as an After School Enrichment Program for 6-12 grades. Both to pass on the enthusiasm, and to recruit new builders.  Oh wait,,,, that would be yet another job....   

Well, one thing I'm going to do is to move for flash-based carts for all the systems I build games for.  They are a bit more expensive, but it's must faster to program a boards that's already in a cartridge shell, test it, label the game, and then put it in the box with the manual, versus what I have to do now for most games.  I will also be looking for someone to help with assembly and shipping of games.

..Al

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Lord Thag said:

The really interesting thing here is what this might mean for homebrew authors. This merger could allow them to reach a much larger audience, and actually make writing homebrews a pretty profitable thing for them. 

So what does that look like now? If they publish through Atariage/Atari do they retain ownership of their games? I assume they have the potential to be marketed digitally now as well, potentially advertised through Atari. Atari could also actually contract through talented developers as well. I’m sure you can’t get into financials or specifics yet, and that’s fine, but I am curious if you can address this topic in a general fashion? This could be big stuff. 

Maybe AtariAge will become something similar to APX then, where homebrewers can release their games on any kind of media (or as digital download) and the best selling ones are officially released by Atari on cartridge ?!?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, s0c7 said:

On the homebrew front, what rights does this give Atari? In theory I wouldn't be adverse to my stuff being available through their distribution channels, but only if some sort of agreement was in place. I don't want to find out one day that Dungeon is suddenly in the VCS store or whatever without my knowledge.

I've been meaning to reach out to you about this.  I'd love to have your game on the VCS.  Send me an email at david.paige@atari.com and we can talk about it.  And no, you don't have to sell your rights to your game or anything like that.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, BILLYonaire said:

Will the Atari 2600+ be available at the AtariAge store? I don't reside in the US, so I can't place an order at their site.

The Atari site does list worldwide retailers. I don't know where you live but Amazon are the official retailer in the UK. I was surprised at the price. Not been a big fan of retro consoles as they've either been expensive or haven't done anything I can't do on my softmodded PSP. But at under £100, it's probably cheaper than getting a HDMI upscaler that can take an RF input. So, it's definitely tempting.

3 minutes ago, retroillucid said:

First, congrats Al
So well deserved!

I feel like it's a positive move for both AtariAge and Atari.

Thank you!

3 minutes ago, retroillucid said:

I was wondering..., will it affect the ColecoVision/ADAM section?
Do they plan to remove non-atari related stuff here?

No, absolutely not.

..Al

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tickled_Pink said:

The Atari site does list worldwide retailers. I don't know where you live but Amazon are the official retailer in the UK. I was surprised at the price. Not been a big fan of retro consoles as they've either been expensive or haven't done anything I can't do on my softmodded PSP. But at under £100, it's probably cheaper than getting a HDMI upscaler that can take an RF input. So, it's definitely tempting.

The HDMI output looks great!

..Al

• Thanks 2

So, there I was, just had another miserable race in Assetto Corsa Competizione, sweating after 45 minutes of that in a hot office and I decide to quickly browse facebook when I see this ...

Atariage.thumb.jpg.20fddd7c3abe8d7b26458269fe86c0f7.jpg
And I'm like ... WTF?? Then I check the date. Nope, not April 1st. Then I start thinking ... don't believe everything you read on the internet, especially Facebook. And then I read the posts and there's a link to the announcement on here.

So, congratulations are in order to add to all the others. Unlike others who were picking up clues, I had no idea. Zero. Zilch. I guess this means a little less stress? It's only good if it's a little less stress. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tickled_Pink said:

Yes, I'm aware they now have a list of retailers but the only one from the US which ships here doesn't accept my payment method.

5 hours ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

Don't freak us out like that !!!  We had the 2600+ at Gamescom and PAX West over the last two weeks. Response has been really strong. So many people came up to see it at PAX. It ships on November 17 In the US, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and the Middle East. We are super excited.

But still no shipping to Canada?  I hope that gets fixed soon and doesn't mean AtariAge will also stop shipping to Canada.  I've had to order Mr Run & Jump and have it shipped to a friend in the US who will then ship it to me.  Far from ideal but then it DOES avoid getting a big Canada Customs fee slapped onto it.  Would still rather have direct shipping though.

Oh, and big congrats to Albert of course.  I'm excited and cautiously optimistic about this epic news.

Edited by insertclevernamehere
Addition of congrats.
  • Like 2