IGNORED

AtariAge + Atari Q&A

Albert

4 minutes ago, AMenard said:

But, as someone else previously asked, does Atari SA has any plans or projects geared toward the Atari computers line? 

Answered this a bit earlier, but nothing to announce. I still think it is likely, there were just too many good games in that era not to do something. Not sure what, but something.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Al, this is GREAT!  And thanks for filling us all in.  I had worries when I saw the store blow out, but now that makes perfect sense.

You are right about seeing ones work in physical form.  [Looks over at VCS OOZE! cart ]

That was a childhood dream made real.  I enjoyed it immensely, as many others have here.

For a while now, my interests took a turn toward other machines, and the Apple 2 in general.  Then, along comes FujiNET, and suddenly I plug one into my 800XL and it is fantastic!

For now, I only have a few thoughts to share:

Atari MiniGame and Demo Composition.

Maybe Atari can do something along these lines.  Participating in those kinds of events was some of the best and productive, in terms of authoring something new, fun I have had.

VCS

--Native

--Harmony enhanced

--Native

--etc...

8 bit obviously, with appropriate categories, and for sure done in a way that people on FUJINET can see and download, interact with.

Bring back the APX

Truth is, the AA store has been that sort of thing, and for many systems too.  But there is probably something cool Atari can do there.

Non-Emulation Hardware

I know it is cost effective.  And maybe with some real, additional polish, OK to continue...

There is a nicely growing retro hardware scene out there.  Some people, like myself, use original machines as well as microcontroller to get that real metal feel.  And sometimes all that translates into useful, professional skills.  It has for me.

An Atari computer that can run existing programs and able to do new things is something I would love to own.  However, emulation on a PC OR Pi type computer is not desirable.  

Maybe the crew can do something new.

Al, thanks for what you have done.  I have been around since near the beginning and found AA to be an exemplary community.  Nice work, hope to see you at the Portland show.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

I am not an engineer ... so I am not the guy to answer this question. Yes it is possible. Was it practical? That is the question. 

I'm sure that the tech would be for sale or lease. IMO, If there is another console released after the 2600+ the folks at Atari would be better off making a hardware based 7800 in a form factor that matches the 2600 shell they have already molded if they plan to support the 7800 moving forward. The 2600 is the more iconic and remembered cosmetic look so I get it they want that for sale purposes. Perhaps move it up from 80 percent to 100 percent of the original size as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

So many good 7800 games. What was going on with developers during this period? Shooting aliens on the shore while waterskiing in Alien Brigade? Ninja Golf? MotorPsycho? Very much one of my favorite eras. I do hope we start to release carts for these games and dig deeper into the catalog.

Hire Bob Decrescenzo as a fulltime programmer. You will be very happy with his services and so will we. The numbers speak for themselves and with the cooperate push and backing, I don't see how Atari could loose on such a hire.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

I will try to speak in behalf of myself, and those who've been, what we'll call, taken by past attempts to resurrect the mostly dead. I'm in with an order for 2600 + and this may be the final time for most of your pre-order buyers to try out for a new rise to fame. I personally am reading of a great number of optimistic skeptics. We love to hear you are open to new homebrew games and new Atari updated 7800 and original tweaked funtastic releases. 2 steps forward. And that firmware updates will forward playability. Another 2 steps.

We love a hardware driven experience, but emulation is fine "IF" the games play like old games and zero percievable lag. I'm hoping in you! I and countless newbies and veterans, want leap in your growth. Never forget to prove the haters as wrong. New fan Dano

<CAPITALIST_DISCLAIMER>

Al started and owned AtariAge and has the right to have done anything he wanted with it.  I have no delusions of entitlement where that is concerned.

</CAPITALIST_DISCLAIMER>

<MELANCHOLY_RESIGNATION>

I don't know.  I don't think this latest iteration of Atari has yet EARNED the right to own AtariAge.  I don't know them.  And because of that, I don't trust them.  It's an arranged marriage.  Call me a romantic, but instead of just showing up and paying the dowry, they should have dated us for a while: introduced themselves, chatted us up, contributed something.  Instead, here we go; shipped off to live with our new master.

I know it's the kind of romantic pessimism that borders on delusion.  But Atari has always been an incredibly important part of what is right and dependable in my world.  AtariAge is that distant land through the shimmering portal to which I escape.  I just don't trust the new owner to let it be the thing I love and need so much.

</MELANCHOLY_RESIGNATION>

• Like 14

2 hours ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

For Atari, an important component of preservation is access. If a game is in a vault, safe and secure, sure, that is a good thing. But we think people should be able to play games from every era of gaming. And they should be able to play them where they want to, so for some it will be a cartridge or disc, for others it might be a port to PC or console, and for others it might be playing a game in a collection like Atari 50. 

You can expect us to remain very active in the retro space in the years to come ... 

I just hope Atari today has plans of releasing their current Atari Jaguar catalogue via compilations and/or stand-alone releases on other platforms. More people should play games like Iron Soldier (if the rights for the original two Jaguar games are under the Atari umbrella). 👍

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, potatohead said:

Bring back the APX

Truth is, the AA store has been that sort of thing, and for many systems too.  But there is probably something cool Atari can do there.

Yeah I mentioned that in another thread,  seems like the AA store will act like the modern equivalent of APX, except that it focuses on the consoles, not the computers.

• Like 2

I'm not that familiar with cartridge based units, am fully aware of their existence and importance to the Atari name.

Have there been any back burner thoughts on Motorola based computer products, in the spirit of what once was?

Those too support many legacy games, with an actual programmer base I'd think would be chomping at the bit for opportunity to provide commerical quality products on capable computer or cartridge based computers.

Just a thought.

2 minutes ago, zzip said:

Yeah I mentioned that in another thread,  seems like the AA store will act like the modern equivalent of APX, except that it focuses on the consoles, not the computers.

I very much want to add more Atari 8-bit games to the store, as I've stated numerous times in the past, my first computer was an 800XL, which I used extensively (along with a 130XE) for years, so they are very dear to my heart.  And there's an incredible number of amazing, original games and other software members of the community have created over time.  As as well as all the fantastic hardware that's been developed. :)

..Al

• Like 10

1 hour ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

I wish we had a comprehensive library of all our packaging, key art, and marketing materials. We really don't. Too much was lost in the many transitions. The Strong National Museum of Play has a rather large trove of Atari documents that they have been cataloging for quite some time. The team at Digital Eclipse worked with Strong to get a lot of the assets in Atari 50.  My goal is to go up there and look about next year. And Tim Lapetino has done an amazing job of tracking down and document all the old key art and marketing illustrations.  Beyond what we have managed to save, we kind of rely on fans to scan originals and post them. AtariAge and MobyGames are as much a resource to us as they are to you.

Speaking of tracking down, does the current Atari have plans to obtain the rights to the Atari Games IPs under ownership of Warner Bros.? Those games need to be re-released. More people need to play Marble Madness and the OG Gauntlet. 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KidGameR186496 said:

Speaking of tracking down, does the current Atari have plans to obtain the rights to the Atari Games IPs under ownership of Warner Bros.? Those games need to be re-released. More people need to play Marble Madness and the OG Gauntlet. 👍

That sure would be nice, Atari Games had so many amazing games!

..Al

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, KidGameR186496 said:

That's been my dream acquisition,  because I think it would not just come with Atari Games, but the Williams and Midway games as well.   But probably too pricey.   Still I don't think Warner has done much with them lately.

• Like 2

Just now, zzip said:

That's been my dream acquisition,  because I think it would not just come with Atari Games, but the Williams and Midway games as well.   But probably too pricey.   Still I don't think Warner has done much with them lately.

Yeah, I'd love to see that, so many amazing games between Atari Games, Williams and Midway!! 

..Al

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, MegaManFan said:

(I'm just joking with this question. It's not serious.)

Anybody reach out to Soulja Boy for a comment?

We asked his permission, because he owns Atari, but was distracted by being a playa! So we went ahead with our plans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

3 hours ago, Albert said:

Alright, that's funny, and I never really thought about that before. And Yars' Revenge is one of my favorite 2600 games!

..Al

Weirdly I don't remember actually playing Yar's Revenge on the 2600, but I play the hell out of the Recharged one on the VCS and my Steam Deck!  Love that game!  I did play a bit of the original on the VCS as well, and will be doing so on the 2600+ when it shows up!

• Like 3