IGNORED

Bomb Squad 2

intvdave

On 9/22/2023 at 1:35 AM, intvdave said:

This is now DONE! It was hard more because I suck at coding. The good news is that I fixed an issue with the controls so the side buttons respond better.

Thank you for this suggestion. I may not have thought of it.

Well, I stand corrected.  As good as I thought the game already was, you have found many elements to improve upon.  This one in particular is a very interesting one.  As I think back to many playing sessions, I do agree that it was annoying having to used separate buttons for that.

Good job! 👍🏻

dZ.

27 minutes ago, intvdave said:

Thanks! I have fine tuned the controls and created an options screen.

image.thumb.png.6ec35757ccf87f86d293fece8cdc354d.png

Oh goodness!  If it wasn't clear before, you can count on me for a copy of this and your version of B-17 Bomber! :)

By the way, are the options ... optional?  I mean, do you have to go through the options menu every time you start a new game, or is it like an "advanced" configuration to tune your play session?

-dZ.

4 hours ago, DZ-Jay said:

By the way, are the options ... optional?  I mean, do you have to go through the options menu every time you start a new game, or is it like an "advanced" configuration to tune your play session?

This will be like Lock'n'Chase where the option screen shows right after the title screen. I am setting the default values to how I play the game. It is easy to pass it with just pressing the ENTER key.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, intvdave said:

This will be like Lock'n'Chase where the option screen shows right after the title screen. I am setting the default values to how I play the game. It is easy to pass it with just pressing the ENTER key.

Sounds like a good approach.  Thanks.

I think it makes more sense than just pressing a key or disc from the title screen, and having it automatically pick obscure options.  This way at least you know the configuration and have an opportunity to change them.

dZ.

• Like 2

Game is mostly done. Just need to test it a bit more. Below are my changes. On the code screen, I black out the 3 boxes of each digit that do not server to solve the code. Is this a mistake? See image below.

shot0006.gif.958ed701e16e6539bc025f780ad56d84.gif

; when circuit board first comes up, the first selected tool will appear in center of screen
; tools remain in relative position to prior tool
; set new color for fire extinguisher
; only call out first piece to fix
; do not show score on circuit board - show how many pieces are left to fix
; when piece is properly replaced, call out next piece to fix if any are left
; piece flashes black instead of white - flashes quicker
; message shows "EXIT NOW" when circuit board is completely solved
; when piece is dropped of on top of screen, it exits at top right of screen
; pieces move off the screen quicker
; show a preview of the last piece removed from the circuit board. No need to remember what it was.
; both lower side buttons pick up and drop - no need to switch
; on the code screen, press the number on the controller corresponding to the code digit to see possible solutions
; must complete 3 boards before being able to solve
; background of time matches screen background - code screen had green background
; countdown timer shows (left of preview piece) when "wrong order" or part is on fire
; circuit explodes for levels opposite of the manual - level 3 is 7 seconds, 2 is 8 seconds, 1 is 9 seconds
; can enter codes with 45 seconds left in the game
; flag and black out on code screen 3 boxes that do not help solve the code

• Like 2

1 hour ago, intvdave said:

Game is mostly done. Just need to test it a bit more. Below are my changes. On the code screen, I black out the 3 boxes of each digit that do not server to solve the code. Is this a mistake? See image below.

I think it is a mistake.  That is part of the puzzle, to figure out which digits they are.

dZ.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, First Spear said:

IIRC at the high levels, the fix order was random, "replace this third... this first... this second" to make attention span part of the difficulty. 

IIRC, the random order is on all levels. To me, this was annoying. All I had to do was hit 9 on the keypad. No real attention span needed. One can test their attention span with having to remember the shape and color that was removed. Also, this can be practiced on the code screen.

2 hours ago, First Spear said:

"; only call out first piece to fix"

"; when piece is properly replaced, call out next piece to fix if any are left"

IIRC at the high levels, the fix order was random, "replace this third... this first... this second" to make attention span part of the difficulty. 

IIRC, the random order is on all levels. To me, this was annoying. All I had to do was hit 9 on the keypad. No real attention span needed. One can test their attention span with having to remember the shape and color that was removed. Also, this can be practiced on the code screen.

I've not played it in quite a while., but I also recall only Level 3 has the sequence spoken randomly.

It doesn't expressly state that in the manual, but it is alluded to this:

image.png.6725247d845ac4414a984f7cf7803d61.png

Bomb_Squad_-_1982_-_Mattel_Electronics.pdf

4 hours ago, intvdave said:

I think it is part of the challenge, like @First Spear said.  It takes time to run the sequence again, so it is in your best interest to avoid that by remembering the original stated order.

3 hours ago, DZ-Jay said:

I think it is part of the challenge, like @First Spear said.  It takes time to run the sequence again, so it is in your best interest to avoid that by remembering the original stated order.

Understood and agree. Thanks for the feedback. I have run out of space on the options screen. Below is the options screen. I will make the game more challenging in other aspects to make up for the loss of challenge in the removal of the random order.

shot0001.gif.b40b4975d2343cf923f1cb0d049a9d03.gif

• Like 1

Understood and agree. Thanks for the feedback. I have run out of space on the options screen. Below is the options screen. I will make the game more challenging in other aspects to make up for the loss of challenge in the removal of the random order.

shot0001.gif.b40b4975d2343cf923f1cb0d049a9d03.gif

Sounds good.  Would it be possible to play the game with most of its original mechanics, but with the improvements we discussed at the beginning, like the speed and responsiveness of controls, bug fixes, etc.?

Then it will truly be the Definitive Version of Bomb Squad. :)

dZ.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DZ-Jay said:

...Would it be possible to play the game with most of its original mechanics, but with the improvements we discussed at the beginning, like the speed and responsiveness of controls, bug fixes, etc.?

The wife convinced me to add more options. DZ, This is exactly what I will try to get to. I should be able to say "consider it done". The wife has spoken.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, intvdave said:

The wife convinced me to add more options. DZ, This is exactly what I will try to get to. I should be able to say "consider it done". The wife has spoken.

I’ll have to remember to send some flowers or chocolates to your wife! 👍🏻

dZ.

21 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

I've not played it in quite a while., but I also recall only Level 3 has the sequence spoken randomly.

I just played level 1, 1 digit and it has random orders. This has nothing to do with levels. The manual is only alluding to the fact that the bomb would explode on level 3 where levels 1 and 2, it would just blow the circuit.

• Like 1

I just played level 1, 1 digit and it has random orders. This has nothing to do with levels. The manual is only alluding to the fact that the bomb would explode on level 3 where levels 1 and 2, it would just blow the circuit.

Thanks for the confirmation. 

As I mentioned, I've not played in quite some time. 

On 9/29/2023 at 2:35 PM, DZ-Jay said:

I’ll have to remember to send some flowers or chocolates to your wife! 👍🏻

She is on a diet :)  She says thank you anyways.

As you requested, most enhancements are off by default. Below are the 3 main screens. I have to play it to make sure no more adjustments are needed because I want to wrap this one up. I am happy so far with how it plays. The controls are much smoother.

title.gif.ab49ec94ed796b0f61fac643d95d1218.gif

menu.gif.d35eb6cfeafe46e025059c8071945e2d.gif

; Digits        : amount of digits to solve in the game - 1,2,3
; Level         : game level -  1,2,3
; Tool Speed    : how quickly your tools move - slow / medium / fast
; Speed Up      : how fast your tools move when holding the upper side button while moveing - slow / medium / fast
; Show Cut Part : show the last part cut out next to the teime - no / yes
; Code Hints    : provide hints on the code screen / show number in green and remaining possible solutions - no / yes
; Circuit Hints ; instead of cut part, will show if the replacement is the shape, color, or solder - no / yes
; Random Order  : call out all parts in random order  - no / yes
; Game Time     : How long the game will last - 10 min, 20 MIN, 30 min

end-win.gif.95ef829713dfb941f8fe4908d779ebce.gif

D:y C:y T:20 L:x D:x

coDe hint - Circuit hint - Time  - Level - Digits

• Like 5