IGNORED

Bomb Squad 2

intvdave

3 hours ago, Rick Reynolds said:

When playing at its fastest speed, the game is very hard to control - particularly to make the fine adjustments necessary when moving a tool or placing a part.  I'd argue it is unplayable at that speed.  It would be nice to have the game be harder without it being a simple speed-up type of control.

Consider it fixed! I am fine tuning the difficulty. Thank you for the feedback.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, intvdave said:

I am in the process of updating Bomb Squad and am looking for feedback on suggestions to make the game better. Do you have any?

I think Bomb Squad is perfect pretty good as is, but I second everyone else's suggestions.  To me the most importing thing to address is the responsiveness of the controls.

dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Rick Reynolds said:

When playing at its fastest speed, the game is very hard to control - particularly to make the fine adjustments necessary when moving a tool or placing a part.  I'd argue it is unplayable at that speed.  It would be nice to have the game be harder without it being a simple speed-up type of control.

Level 3 is already harder with things like larger circuits, falling parts, and mistakes causing the bomb to explode rather than just losing the circuit.  Level 3 control/speed can be fixed by using level 2 control/speed.

edit:  If you fix the level 3 control/speed, maybe compensate by reducing time to put out fires.  Level 3 should probably made harder as Rick suggested.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mr_me said:

Level 3 is already harder with things like larger circuits, falling parts, and mistakes causing the bomb to explode rather than just losing the circuit.  Level 3 control/speed can be fixed by using level 2 control/speed.

edit:  If you fix the level 3 control/speed, maybe compensate by reducing time to put out fires.  Level 3 should probably made harder as Rick suggested.

Thanks! I have set the tools speed to level 2's speed for all levels. I am probably going to make this a menu option. I have also slowed down the speed when pressing the top side button. This will probably be a menu option also.

I will look into the time to put out fires. Do you have other suggestions to make level 3 better tuned?

One thing I can look into is the frequency of "cut this out" vs "replace". The higher the level, the less "cut" comes out?

19 minutes ago, Crash7 said:

After this you have to update B-17 Bomber next. 😁

Wooooahhhhhh..... That is the next game on my list. Did I post this already?

I owned all 4 voice games as a kid.

Space Spartans was my favorite and I can not think of anything to change in it. It is the game I never owned, Star Raiders.

Tron Solar Sailor has already been updated. I played it a lot and am hoping my hacks made it more fun.

Same for Bomb Squad. I played it a lot. I was frustrated with it as I was with Solar Sailor. I have already fixed all the frustrating points. Now... to make it better.

With this, all that is left is B-17. I played the game, after all, I spent a lot of money on it, but it did not see much play. This game is like World Series, a simulator. WS has been updated to be more of a game. I plan on doing the same for B-17. I already have ideas for B-17 and am open to suggestions to make it better.

I may release these two games as a bundle.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, intvdave said:

Space Spartans was my favorite and I can not think of anything to change in it. It is the game I never owned, Star Raiders.

Tron Solar Sailor has already been updated. I played it a lot and am hoping my hacks made it more fun.

Same for Bomb Squad. I played it a lot. I was frustrated with it as I was with Solar Sailor. I have already fixed all the frustrating points. Now... to make it better.

With this, all that is left is B-17. I played the game, after all, I spent a lot of money on it, but it did not see much play. This game is like World Series, a simulator. WS has been updated to be more of a game. I plan on doing the same for B-17. I already have ideas for B-17 and am open to suggestions to make it better.

I love both Bomb Squad and B-17 Bomber — they are two of my favorite games.

I can’t wait to see how they turn out. :)

You can also count me as a tester, like we did for the KotM.

dZ.

23 hours ago, intvdave said:

Thanks! I have set the tools speed to level 2's speed for all levels. I am probably going to make this a menu option. I have also slowed down the speed when pressing the top side button. This will probably be a menu option also.

I will look into the time to put out fires. Do you have other suggestions to make level 3 better tuned?

One thing I can look into is the frequency of "cut this out" vs "replace". The higher the level, the less "cut" comes out?

The accelerated clock when a player makes a mistake can be made faster.  

18 hours ago, intvdave said:

I like B17 Bomber but there's something not right with the way the difficulty ramps up.  Maybe the difficulty shouldn't ramp up at all.  Difficulty naturally increases as you have to fly further to reach more targets.  And if you want more difficulty choose a higher level.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, intvdave said:

Here is a wacky idea for B-17 Bomber:  day and night cycles.  A clock tracks the hour of the day (in simulated time), and the gunner and bombardier screens turn from dusk, to day, to dawn, to night — similar to Frog Bog.

Targets and bandits are harder to hit in the dark.

• Like 2

On 9/17/2023 at 9:18 PM, Rick Reynolds said:

Agreed, the game on Level 3 is ridiculous control wise. You simply cannot use the controls and put the soldering gun in the right spot, it's quite annoying. The speed is fine, it's the controls that SUCK....

Edited by Rickster8
Wording

On 9/17/2023 at 7:17 PM, intvdave said:

I am in the process of updating Bomb Squad and am looking for feedback on suggestions to make the game better. Do you have any?

If you have time to use additional ROM, maybe replace some of the sprites of the moving parts just to add flavor?

Maybe making some of the circuit boards different shapes, and moving across them makes the tooling slower? For example, if a "board" is shaped like a Nest thermostat, when a control-piece like the scissors crosses over it, it slows. That would force the player into making a decision on whether to move across the hole or around it. image.thumb.png.d2157ce59ef6a512eaad9d0c6c788e01.png

How about a coffee? Give player a choice at start time to have a number of coffees (paper cup or mug image), and it appears aside the board as an additional tool. Selecting it gives the player a jolt of caffeine and then their tool movement will n-percent faster. Scoring decreases for correct moves made during the caffeinited time, so player has to make judgement to go for points or speed in completing the game. At the end, coffee consumed is included on-screen so anyone will know if they were boosted. If not coffee, how about 80's Jolt Cola. :) 

How about a second controller ? Something else to make the game more difficult for a player, or to give a grand/kid that is nearby an opportunity to "do". Keep a running graph on-screen of the amplitude, and have it fluctuate during activity. If it gets too high, Intellivoice "amps high", same for "low" , "even" or something like that. The disc not being used to control the regular activity has to be used to vary the amps. If left unchecked, that board-module will burn out. Or maybe if it isn't a sine wave then maybe an analog gauge. Each board will show (or say) the proper amps for this module when the player enters it. At game start the player would have to declare which controller (left or right) is used for tools. Reason for this is to make the player physically switch to control the amps, adding more frenetic difficulty. I recognize this would be a ton of work. :) 

Amplitude Graphic

• Like 1

On 9/17/2023 at 8:09 PM, mr_me said:

Combine the drop and work tool buttons so the game is played with two side buttons.

This is now DONE! It was hard more because I suck at coding. The good news is that I fixed an issue with the controls so the side buttons respond better.

Thank you for this suggestion. I may not have thought of it.

• Like 1