IGNORED

Was AVGN to harsh on Atari ?

JPF997

I remember watching a lot of James's content when I was a little kid, it's what got me interested in gaming history to begin with, but looking back at those old videos without rose tinted glasses in restrospect it seems kind of odd how much the nerd completely trashed all Atari console's made after the 2600. The 5200 video was awfull, it only talked about the fact that the system itself was very big and that you could store thing's (like beer) inside it, almost no time was spent actually reviewing the games which should be the most important aspect of a game console review, he also completely trashed the 5200 controller,  deservedly so or not I don't know since I never used one in person. The Jaguar review was no better ( in some ways it was even worse, with all those cringy jokes , especially the one about the jaguar CD combo looking like a toilet ), at least a few games we're showcased but unfortunately it was mostly the bad one's giving general audience's ( like myself at the time ) the impression that the system was a forgettable piece of garbage that you shouldn't waste time playing. Does anyone else agree that the nerd was a bit to harsh on Atari or do you think he provided a fair and balanced critique given the quality (or lack there of ) of the system's in question?

His character and comedy are delightful.  It's funny to imagine that they would be your introduction as they seem so modern and recent, although the timetable checks out and I realize it has now been so long ago, that such a thing is possible.  It's hard to imagine how distorted young people's idea of the pre-internet world must be.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, desiv said:

AVGN is a character James plays.  That character is too harsh on pretty much everything.

James is a film / video maker...   Not a vlogger...

I just find it strange how he treats Atari compared to Nintendo or even Sega, with those companies he only made videos trashing add ons (like the Sega CD or the 32 X )or systems that where obviously so bad like the Virtual Boy that no one in there right mind would have a problem with him trashing , but he never went after flagship Nintendo systems like the N64 or the GameCube like he went after the 5200 and the Jaguar, it just feels like he has a bit of a bias against Atari if you get what I'm saying.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

I just find it strange how he treats Atari compared to Nintendo or even Sega,

That character is obviously a partially grown up NES kid to me.  Doesn't hate Sega per say, but that character is more NES/Sega than Atari or others...

Edited by desiv
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, zzip said:

I always saw AVGN as a schtick, so the harshness was just part of the character..   You tune in for laughs, not accurate hardware reviews.

I think everyone understands that James's was playing a character when he acted as the nerd, but there's no doubt that his childhood as a Nintendo kid influenced the types of videos he produced and who he dunked on with more frequency, like I said previously the only Nintendo system he trashed when playing the nerd character was the virtual boy, a system everyone agrees was awfull, but he never dunked on Nintendo's flag ship console's like he did with Atari, even taking into account the fact that he was playing a character it's still obvious that he had a pro Nintendo bias.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JPF997 said:

I think everyone understands that James's was playing a character when he acted as the nerd, but there's no doubt that his childhood as a Nintendo kid influenced the types of videos he produced and who he dunked on with more frequency, like I said previously the only Nintendo system he trashed when playing the nerd character was the virtual boy, a system everyone agrees was awfull, but he never dunked on Nintendo's flag ship console's like he did with Atari, even taking into account the fact that he was playing a character it's still obvious that he had a pro Nintendo bias.

We are used to younger Nintendo fans acting like videogames only started when NES released, and anything before that was the dark age when nothing of interest happened.   So any Nintendo fan acknowledging Atari at all is a win, I suppose :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Uh... Originally, he wasn't called the AVGN but the Angry Nintendo Nerd, so he only dunked on NES games. So if he gave you the feeling he focused on Atari, it's just because he had already tackled most of the bad NES games, that's all.

I wasn't referring to the games themselves but more so the hardware, no matter how many shitty games James reviewed he never dunked on the NES itself, Atari console's however he  pretty much trashed them all , if it  came after the 2600 it was fair game.

On 9/22/2023 at 1:35 PM, JPF997 said:

I wasn't referring to the games themselves but more so the hardware, no matter how many shitty games James reviewed he never dunked on the NES itself, Atari console's however he  pretty much trashed them all , if it  came after the 2600 it was fair game.

I can shit on the Nintendo for you regard that bleeping finicky cartridge slot apparatus. The Famicom didn't have that issue. The NES hardware wise, otherwise was decent and performed well. 

15 hours ago, Wildstar said:

I can shit on the Nintendo for you regard that bleeping finicky cartridge slot apparatus. 

That, which they fixed when they released the NES Top Loader!  (Yay!)
But they decided to release that with OUT composite video/audio... (BOOOO!!!!!)  

(Yes, the 7800 and 2600 Jr. were RF only, but they were 1986...)

RF ONLY in 1993???  Booooo!!!!

Edited by desiv
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 10:01 AM, JPF997 said:

I just find it strange how he treats Atari compared to Nintendo or even Sega, with those companies he only made videos trashing add ons (like the Sega CD or the 32 X )or systems that where obviously so bad like the Virtual Boy that no one in there right mind would have a problem with him trashing , but he never went after flagship Nintendo systems like the N64 or the GameCube like he went after the 5200 and the Jaguar, it just feels like he has a bit of a bias against Atari if you get what I'm saying.

He originally went by the Angry Nintendo Nerd, or whatever it was, he branched out to other brands much later.  But the whole idea behind it is reviewing the turds.  So unless he can make something funny about how crap a system was, he doesn't bother reviewing it.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 2:18 PM, roots.genoa said:

Uh... Originally, he wasn't called the AVGN but the Angry Nintendo Nerd, so he only dunked on NES games. So if he gave you the feeling he focused on Atari, it's just because he had already tackled most of the bad NES games, that's all.

Ha, you beat me to it.  (I should get into the habit of reading the whole thread before posting.. but sometimes I need to pause to eat my lunch).

• Haha 1