IGNORED

Jaguar+, Yay or Nay?

Gunther

8 hours ago, Biff Burgertime said:

Is that part @ 4:45 legit, or perhaps a mere assumption based on similar design?

image.thumb.png.065ae2e9afc1172b0f8125501f564429.png

If so I'm shocked I've never heard about this before, being the retro-nerd that I am.

I feel like this is the type of thing @Lostdragon might be able to help shed some light on.

It's true that one of the patents for the PS2 does mention the Atari Microbox design as prior art:

US_D452688_S.thumb.png.a4c02261bded42269e165b09aee5937b.png

Dunno if they actually bought it from Atari or not, though.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2023 at 9:34 AM, jerseystyle said:

But they already did this with the VCS. That’s the niche. We know what the demand is because it’s been done. Doing a niche of a niche (when the first niche has lost money for them) is nuts. Remember, as we learned with the CC and the Amico, just because YOU really want something doesn’t mean it’ll be a viable product.

On 10/10/2023 at 10:27 AM, alucardX said:

I don't think the VCS is a good comparison. Let's look at how the 2600+ does. The VCS is really cool and has some neat ideas but at the end of the day it is not offering me much that I can't get some place else. I can buy a used PS4 and scratch most of the itches that the VCS does.

The difference here is that the Jaguar+ unit could probably be produced for a lot less money and would be enhancing a niche that has room to grow. As many have said, we're tired of paying so much for consoles and original games. Also, just like other classics the Jaguar+ benefit would be a clean, nice picture to the TV without any hassle. There is a lot that can be done for original Jag fans and new fans as well.

Also I do agree with @Clint Thompson that purists will prefer the original hardware but that is only going to be good for so long and not all of us were lucky enough to build a big collection before the prices went through the roof. I would much rather support Atari in innovating in retro than Nintendo in innovating in iteration and re-releases. Or for that matter Sony in making over the shoulder simulation story things or Microsoft in buying up the competition. Atari has the chance to do some interesting things in an area we really care about.

I think the 2600+ is just evidence of what jerseystyle is saying. Why isn't it the 7800+?

The 7800 could play both 2600 and 7800 games. Calling it 2600+ just goes to show that is their niche.

On 10/12/2023 at 1:34 PM, zzip said:

They never mentioned a console though,  how do I know if I say yes, I won't end up with a jaguar plush wearing a speaker hat?  :)

image.png.475280120b89e65c09a317517d960612.png

The speaker is located below the tail 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I think the 2600+ is just evidence of what jerseystyle is saying. Why isn't it the 7800+?

The 7800 could play both 2600 and 7800 games. Calling it 2600+ just goes to show that is their niche.

The speaker is located below the tail 

To my knowledge the 7800 never made the media splash the Jaguar did. Nobody will ever argue that a system made to play 2600 AND 7800 games shouldn't be called something related to 2600. If there was a collaboration between KIA and Ferrari there is now doubt that the name that product would be marketed under would be Ferrari.

1 hour ago, alucardX said:

To my knowledge the 7800 never made the media splash the Jaguar did. Nobody will ever argue that a system made to play 2600 AND 7800 games shouldn't be called something related to 2600. If there was a collaboration between KIA and Ferrari there is now doubt that the name that product would be marketed under would be Ferrari.

You picture does not fit, though I think we get the idea ;-) (IIRC performance wise the 7800 was the Ferrari).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 42bs said:

You picture does not fit, though I think we get the idea ;-) (IIRC performance wise the 7800 was the Ferrari).

No it is not a 100% fit but just to say that you would obviously market with the one with more chance of being successful in getting people's attention. I realized after re-reading it that it could be taken to be related to performance. And the Jag is the Ferrari...er...shit. Forget the car analogies now.

• Haha 2

On 10/21/2023 at 11:53 PM, Biff Burgertime said:

Is that part @ 4:45 legit, or perhaps a mere assumption based on similar design?

image.thumb.png.065ae2e9afc1172b0f8125501f564429.png

If so I'm shocked I've never heard about this before, being the retro-nerd that I am.

I feel like this is the type of thing @Lostdragon might be able to help shed some light on.

That's extremely kind of you to suggest, but today's Lost Dragon is a very different one to the old one. 

I'm now well into a long term relationship, beautiful partner and her  autistic (autism and delayed response syndrome etc) step daughter, taking on a Mortage for first time ever (previously always rented), buying out an ex-partner.. 

My time these days spent talking to solicitors, banks, special needs schools, Mortage advisors, builders, plumbers, electricians (all manner of home improvement projects landed in my lap 😊

Never been busier, never had so much money going out, but never been happier 😊

So this one I will happily pass over to the real Atari Historians out there. 

• Like 4

Just now, Hawkangel said:

I don’t own an Atari Jaguar because of $$$. I would 100% buy an Atari Jaguar+ if it played catridges and the price was good. 

I think quite a few people are in this boat. May people in this situation are happy with good emulation but some prefer some kind of hardware. I like having the controllers and carts and all of that when I can too.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hawkangel said:

I would 100% buy an Atari Jaguar+ if it played catridges

Don't hold your breath. The cartridge connectors are a custom part made specifically for the Jaguar back in the day, and there's basically no stock left.

Not to mention, the revenue stream for those re-released classic consoles is selling games as downloads, not letting you play old cartridges you already have.

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Zerosquare said:

Don't hold your breath. The cartridge connectors are a custom part made specifically for the Jaguar back in the day, and there's basically no stock left.

Not to mention, the revenue stream for those re-released classic consoles is selling games as downloads, not letting you play old cartridges you already have.

Fair enough. Whats stopping them from manufacturing them again?

• Like 1