IGNORED

Jaguar+, Yay or Nay?

Gunther

13 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Since it's an endangered species, maybe they meant bringing back the Jaguar with DNA a la Jurassic Park or something. 🤔

Maybe they can cross-breed them with Lynx and create Jynx?    Hmm  Jynx, now there's an appropriate name for an Atari console!  :)   

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, zzip said:

Maybe they can cross-breed them with Lynx and create Jynx?    Hmm  Jynx, now there's an appropriate name for an Atari console!  :)   

Is it bad that I really like that name?  If Atari were to release some kind of mini-Jag / clone console, I would love for it to be able to play both Jaguar and Lynx games.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KainXavier said:

Is it bad that I really like that name?  If Atari were to release some kind of mini-Jag / clone console, I would love for it to be able to play both Jaguar and Lynx games.

This might sound made up, but totally true:

When I was younger and the Jag was still active in the market I drew up a Jaguar mascot that was a Jaguar cat called Jynx. He even had an Atari Fuji pattern in his fur between his ears. I thought it could be a game like Crash Bandicoot or something like that. Jynx the Jaguar...no joke.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, alucardX said:

When I was younger and the Jag was still active in the market I drew up a Jaguar mascot that was a Jaguar cat called Jynx. He even had an Atari Fuji pattern in his fur between his ears. I thought it could be a game like Crash Bandicoot or something like that. Jynx the Jaguar...no joke.

There's been a lot of talk in the other threads about Atari not having a mascot.  So there you go, that's the mascot.  Now we just need an Atari Karts 2 that stars Jynx the Jaguar, Bubsy the Bobcat, Bentley the Bear, and Trevor McFur the Lion.  DLC characters will include a Yar, one of the paddles from Pong, the Haunted House eyes, and Sonic the Hedgehog.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, alucardX said:

Jynx the Jaguar is a great name for an Atari mascot, I love it! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, KainXavier said:

There's been a lot of talk in the other threads about Atari not having a mascot.  So there you go, that's the mascot.  Now we just need an Atari Karts 2 that stars Jynx the Jaguar, Bubsy the Bobcat, Bentley the Bear, and Trevor McFur the Lion.  DLC characters will include a Yar, one of the paddles from Pong, the Haunted House eyes, and Sonic the Hedgehog.

How about Jynx the Jaguar in an Atariworld Adventure featuring his friends Bubsy, Bentley, his dad Trevor etc. I think that would be a great addition and something Atari could promote.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cubanismo said:

No, I've shifted from not making games on the Jaguar, to not making games on the Nuon. Call me when Atari buys the VMlabs IP from ST Micro.

Sweet - we'll have Tempest 3000 and a Nuon emulator that plays VLM2 at that point, then my classic hardware stack is completely emulated!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, cubanismo said:

No, I've shifted from not making games on the Jaguar, to not making games on the Nuon. Call me when Atari buys the VMlabs IP from ST Micro.

Man, that’s a whole other level of insanity. I don’t have a Nuon anymore but look forward to seeing what you come up with on it if you actually are coding for it. It could certainly use some homebrew love. 

• Like 2

Honestly,  If they Started with a Mascot named Jynx (Half Jaguar, half Lynx maybe), and put out some games featuring him then hyped a forthcoming console that could do Jaguar and Lynx games,  and let's say ROMs, downloaded from an Atari Store...That really would be something!!

(Of course the problem with this idea, is it requires Vision, Money, Marketing etc. and should not be done Half Assed...Aww well,  it was a good idea)

• Like 2

On 10/13/2023 at 6:29 PM, KainXavier said:

And Evil Otto,  Scraps, from Scrapyard Dog, Charley Chuck from Food Fight Tarra and Torr from Swordquest and a Ninja Golfer.   Guess Atari has more characters than we realized :)

• Like 1

Is that part @ 4:45 legit, or perhaps a mere assumption based on similar design?

In the mid-90s, when Atari's going out of business, they're selling everything including their name... they also sold off a lot of molding rights. An interesting one, by the way, is they sold off one of their computers, and that shell was sold to Sony who turned it into the Playstation 2.

image.thumb.png.065ae2e9afc1172b0f8125501f564429.png

If so I'm shocked I've never heard about this before, being the retro-nerd that I am.

I feel like this is the type of thing @Lostdragon might be able to help shed some light on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1