IGNORED

Which model of the Atari VCS/2600 do people usually prefer ?

JPF997

8 hours ago, MrZarniwoop said:

My favorite 2600 is the 2800.

image.jpeg.3c3fa6b7872027228bf2d7a64650317b.jpeg

If you're starting out though, the 7800 is the most flexible console and borrows the look of the 2800 if you like it.

Yes accept the problem with the 7800 is the flimsy power adapters they came with.  You can power mod it but that ruins the aesthetics and beauty of the original.

9 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

Yes accept the problem with the 7800 is the flimsy power adapters they came with.  You can power mod it but that ruins the aesthetics and beauty of the original.

Ehh, not necessarily.  It's usually possible to reuse the power connector and splice it onto a new PSU.  Keeps everything original except for the PSU itself.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2023 at 11:35 PM, JetSetIlly said:

I prefer the JR (the long rainbow revision in my case) because the RF output is better than my Light Sixer or Vader models.

Junior Short Rainbow for me, she gladly compliments my 5200.

Also I love the detachable replaceable RF cord option, allows you to easily replace it when it something goes wrong with it or if you need a longer one.

Big Sexy, and..... Mini Sexy, how great a combo they are!!!

On 9/25/2023 at 10:25 AM, zzip said:

No Love for the "Sears Telegames Video Arcade?"

Free Repair Guides: Sears Tele-Games / Atari 2600 Console Restoration

Send me one!

On 9/27/2023 at 11:28 AM, zzip said:

I suppose everyone's answer is going to be the 2600 they owned in their youth, even if it's an odd bird like the Coleco Gemini.

My 2600 is a 4-switch woody.   Since this is the same model the Lego 2600 and the new 2600+ are based off of, I guess that makes it the one true 2600 console!  :D

image.png.bd5c3f8b303adbb2920bceb73bff284d.png

I have this, still haven't built it yet, but I ordered all the parts I think I need to make it a sixer...

On 9/25/2023 at 1:15 PM, CapitanClassic said:

I have one and prefer the wood grain on it to the Atari branded ones.

Same here.  I've been cleaning up a lot of 4 systems: 2 Sears, 1 light 6 woody and 1 4 switch woody.  I grew up with the light 6 and 4 woody; but the Sears has been growing on me.  I've been warming up to the Silver faceplate, and the Sears woodgrain is definitely cooler.  As a bonus, I just found a matching Tele-Games Center for it at VCFMW; they look great together.

image.thumb.jpeg.b582a033961ea8ab457fa27260f77dc2.jpeg

• Like 1

My favorite is the light sixer although I have never used a heavy sixer before.

I like the light sixer for the look, yes, but because of the more satisfying sound it makes inserting and removing a cartridge. The deeper cartridge slot just sounds better.

I appreciate the Jr. for the smaller footprint and replaceable RF cable. I don't care for the shallow cartridge slot though.

• Like 1

Six switch woody is my choice as it was what I had back in the day.  I currently own a PAL 6 switch and use it mostly with my Harmony cart. I also have a 4 switch (NTSC modded for composite) but I don't like the fact that the diffA/B switches are on the back.

The 7800 does a grand job too and it has the advantage of having the control ports on the front. You can also open the 7800 up and swap the RF cable with no soldering which is nice.

As long as I get a good picture I don't really mind though. :)

If the 6 switch woody had ports at the front and user-replaceable RF cable it would give the best of all options. :)

Edited by davyK