IGNORED

Which model of the Atari VCS/2600 do people usually prefer ?

JPF997

I've never owned a real 2600 but judging by looks alone my favorite model has to be the Vader model, the all black look gives it this feeling of ageless coolness to it or at least it does to me.Which model do Atari fan's usually prefer and why is what I'd like to ask you all today, early thanks to anyone who responds and of course don't forget to play Atari today! 

image.png.156d1b8744ce017a7174d3a4ff1008e5.png

image.png.6a4a64d5f7a523b539e8788982feccef.png

image.png.4da455425ab83119ad2ecf1c731be803.png

If things haven't changed much from 8 years ago, the forum preferences would be Heavy 6er (35%), Light 6er (20%), Vader (15%), 4 Switch Woodgrain / Sears Telegames / Jr.(~10% each)

I owned a Telegames 6 Switch, and a Vader, both won in a raffle. Still have them today, but only after cleaning out my parents old house, i had to rebuy 2 from ShopGoodwill (first one was defective), so i now own 4 models. I think I prefer the look of the 6-switcher, and I think I remember the buttons on the heavy were better. But, mostly I play my Atari Flashback X, so I guess I prefer it.

• Like 3

I have my original Heavy Sixer, but the first one I ever played on was a Sears Heavy Sixer at summer camp with Target Fun. I want one.

However, I think the Light Sixer looks the best.

The 4 switch models look cheap and like the content reduced models that they are and the Jr is just the cheapest result of cost savings.

Think of them like a car that is being updated. The last year before the update usually gets de-contented for rental fleets.

I think I love the original heavy Sixer overall though admittedly it is about the only version I don't own so not sure if it's just a "The grass is greener" type thing or not but my light Sixer and 4 switches are nice but there are times I just love my black "Vader" model, it's in such great shape too so that helps. I think about every other original option (Gemini, Jr etc.) just looks kind of cheap but I love them. Now I have something that would probably be considered the ugly duckling or "Crazy Uncle Larry" of the bunch, a 2600 adaptor for the 5200 which has been modded, it can work with the 5200 as designed but also as its own standalone unit with it's own PSU and composite and S-video output, it ain't pretty but a neat novelty for sure. 

• Like 1

I suppose everyone's answer is going to be the 2600 they owned in their youth, even if it's an odd bird like the Coleco Gemini.

My 2600 is a 4-switch woody.   Since this is the same model the Lego 2600 and the new 2600+ are based off of, I guess that makes it the one true 2600 console!  :D

image.png.bd5c3f8b303adbb2920bceb73bff284d.png

On 9/26/2023 at 8:49 PM, 0078265317 said:

Is junior really any different.  Is the color palette any differenr?  Or some games or accessories do not work on junior?

Or its all the same and some people like the switches or woodgrain look?

I have 2-Vaders, 1-Four Switch Woody and 1-Junior. The only functionality difference, I have ever encountered with these systems, has been with the homebrew "Space Cactus Canyon".
On the Junior it fires-up every time without issue. On my other three systems, I have to repeatedly insert/remove the cartridge and power on/off to eventually get the game to run. I have no idea why.