IGNORED

Is collecting a full set still doable?

T.A.P.

I had a 7800 as a kid, sold it, and then repurchased one a few years ago.

I didn't originally set out with the intention of collecting every game, although the recent news with the 2600+ has reignited my interest in the system, and I've started purchasing games for it again.

I've got around 34 games for it now, with another 7 on the way. At this point, there are still a few more games I'd like to have for it, although they are mostly pricey and harder-to-find ones, and it's got me wondering if I should try for the complete set.

Is it still doable to go for the full set of original/retail releases, or are any of the games so rare or costly that it just isn't possible any more?

I have to admit, I cry a little every time I remember how I sold my childhood copies of Double Dragon and ninja Golf, and how much those cost now.

Edited by T.A.P.
  • Like 1

I mean it's still very doable.  The size of the initial retail library is small and even the most expensive games are affordable compared to other consoles.  I myself would not pay what a lot of these games are going for today but it's all subjective.  

I personally feel that the library although small is strong, so Im glad to have a full set for my 7800.  I'm also lucky to have brick and mortar stores near me that get a lot of atari stuff in.  I would see what the games are going for, set a limit of what your willing to spend on each one and give it a try.  The "for sale" forum here is another good avenue for reasonably priced stuff compared to eBay, and as always check out sites like Best Electronics or Atari sales for some new in box stuff at cheaper prices. 

You may find a curated library of games to be easier to manage and more fun in the long run as well.  I find small curated collections to be much more appealing to me.  I guess I'm over the massive walls filled corner to corner collections... Although they're still impressive!

Edited by Silver Back

There has actually been a lot (three) Tank Commands on eBay recently...I follow a search for this on the chance I can replace my repro copy...it is not looking likely. Several hundred for a loosie, and a sealed sold for $800 a while back. Still the hardest one to get, I think. Mean 18 or Ikari right behind?

• Like 1

Good luck finding a reasonably priced Tank Command. I would be happy with just the repro copy! Ebay has gotten so ridiculous now that you could easily pay $150 or up on at least 10 Atari 7800 CIBs/Carts. So happy to have purchased the 30th anniversary 7800 cart# 2 which has 8 7800 games which are getting very expensive these days:

PXL_20231016_170429222.thumb.jpg.89a342055ca1bf4c39b57e4703d99c67.jpg

Contains eight 128k games

1) Basketbrawl
2) Ikari Warriors
3) Mean 18 Ultimate Golf
4) Midnight Mutants
5) Ninja Golf
6) Scrapyard Dog
7) Title Match Pro Wrestling
8 ) Water Ski

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Shawn said:

NTSC Mean 18 Golf is a very hard game to get. Personally I've found it harder to get than Tank Command. I've owned more copies of Tank Command than Mean 18 over the years. PAL Mean 18 is easy enough, NTSC? Much, much harder to get.

I agree about Mean 18. I had both Mean 18 and Tank Command CIB but have sold/traded both off 🙁. Another one is Rampage which is selling for a good bit of change these days....

I don't think I've ever even seen a US Mean 18 for sale ever. :(

I'm missing a lot of the super rare/pricey ones like Tank Command (which wow, those sold prices just hurt to look at), Ikari Warriors, and most of the 3rd party stuff.

Sounds like I should give up on this silly idea to try to get them all.

2 hours ago, GaryH917 said:

Good luck finding a reasonably priced Tank Command. I would be happy with just the repro copy! Ebay has gotten so ridiculous now that you could easily pay $150 or up on at least 10 Atari 7800 CIBs/Carts. So happy to have purchased the 30th anniversary 7800 cart# 2 which has 8 7800 games which are getting very expensive these days:

PXL_20231016_170429222.thumb.jpg.89a342055ca1bf4c39b57e4703d99c67.jpg

Any time this cart gets brought up..I have to say out loud to no one in particular...."boy it sure would be great if another run of cart #1 was done!"

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, T.A.P. said:

I don't think I've ever even seen a US Mean 18 for sale ever. :(

I'm missing a lot of the super rare/pricey ones like Tank Command (which wow, those sold prices just hurt to look at), Ikari Warriors, and most of the 3rd party stuff.

Sounds like I should give up on this silly idea to try to get them all.

I'm like 85% there and already have a few of the tougher ones sealed, like Kung Fu Master and Super Skateboardin. Every time I looks at the set I have, I decide I am too far in to quit. But the $800 sale of Tank Command....goddamn.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GoldenWheels said:

I'm like 85% there and already have a few of the tougher ones sealed, like Kung Fu Master and Super Skateboardin. Every time I looks at the set I have, I decide I am too far in to quit. But the $800 sale of Tank Command....goddamn.

What ones are you missing?

Luckily, I'm not going for sealed games, so that is a slight relief (although just getting complete ones is too tough really).

39 minutes ago, T.A.P. said:

What ones are you missing?

Luckily, I'm not going for sealed games, so that is a slight relief (although just getting complete ones is too tough really).

The aforementioned Tank Command, Mean 18, Ikari Warriors and Rampage are my toughest gets left. Of course, that is what...$1200-1800??? I'm guessing...have to admit I almost bid on the damn $800 Tank Command.

If it was just non-sealed, I'd STILL need Tank Command, but I think that would be it for a complete loosie collection for me.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 7:02 AM, T.A.P. said:

Is it still doable to go for the full set of original/retail releases, or are any of the games so rare or costly that it just isn't possible any more?

I’ve only seen Tank Command and Kung Fu Master (originals) priced at $500++.

And also very rarely put out on eBay.

Didn’t know that Mean 18 nor Ikari Warriors were so rare a NTSC-titles.

- - -

I should wish Atari (official) would pick up some the IPs or copyrights for some of the rarer 7800-titles and give them reasonably priced re-runs.

Given that they bought AtariAge, they should do some actions to preserve the line-up of titles for their consoles.

Some titles would have multiple license-issues (arcade, porting-company), so it would be somewhat (or very) unrealistic. [at best licensed, limited runs], but trying to do some Atari-gaming-history preservation actions could be in place when the timing is right, i.m.h.o.

• Like 1

If you already have 34 I'd say go for it.  I feel extremely fortunate I was able to jumpstart my 7800 collection in the late 90's with 20-30 games NEW, all for 80 cents a piece from a liquidation website at the time!

Over time & especially during the 2010's I gradually filled it up until I acquired a complete NTSC library EXCEPT Tank Command. 6-7 years later I still can't bring myself to wait for it to turn up & go through with it 😞 But still hope to one day before I die

I own the Super Pac-Man homebrew & I do need to pick up some more of those, Bentley Bear is LONG overdue 

Also gotta say glad I took the plunge with most of the rarer games in the previous decade, the prices already seem significantly higher already, less then 10 years after

Edited by Stevaside

On 10/20/2023 at 2:01 AM, T.A.P. said:

What is the story with those? Are they different games or just packaging variants?

PAL conversions of some NTSC exclusives (Baseball is Pete Rose Baseball, not the terrible Real Sports). HES was an Australian based company that released a load of 2600 titles too in clamshells, Salu sold the equivalent in Europe (mostly UK and Germany) in cardboard boxes. Don't know why some NTSC titles didn't get picked, Robotron for example or the Games considering they were hugely popular in Europe and the 2600 versions got PAL editions.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2023 at 8:41 AM, GaryH917 said:

On 10/21/2023 at 9:52 AM, Shawn said:

Sold in less than an hour after your post. 

You guys telling me that MONSTER THUMB JEFF (in Ohio) finally sold his copy of Tank Command?

I kid,  I kid...

Unaltered pic BTW,...

Atari 7800 Tank Command Froggo Factory Complete 7800 Holy Grail Tested Working - Picture 7 of 15

• Haha 2