IGNORED

Intellevision dungeons and dragons

Debs

Please help!!!

Iv just bought the Atari 50 with 120 built in games as every intellevision game Iv bought I can never get working. 
anywsy I’m wanting to play the intellevision dungeons and dragons game but I was told it was on here but I can’t find it! Have I bought the wrong one?

thanks x

The Intellivision games don’t come on any Atari branded flashback system. There does exist Custom FirmWare (CFW) that allows additional emulators to be installed on the devices.

You can then find the Atari Nexus collection on Archive.Org (the thread below has a link to a minimal Nexus archive with just the emulators). I think the lack of buttons on the Atari Flashbacks make them a worse option for emulating Intellivision, the Legends Flashbacks with 6-buttons are better.

there was a dedicated Intellivision Flashback with appropriate controllers and keypad overlays.They come up for sale periodically on ShopGoodwill.com for $20-$40 every month or so.

• Like 1

Omg Iv just seen the game I’m after!! I only want the dungeons and dragons game. For my dad as we used to play it when I was younger, without pestering you more could you please tell me what console I’ll need as there are a few of them and Iv already spent a fortune trying to get this game x

thank you x

Note that due to expired licenses and trademarked titles, these games have been renamed in later official compilations:

AD&D Cloudy Mountain became "Adventure" and "Crown of Kings"

AD&D Treasure of Tarmin became "Minotaur"

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jhd said:

Note that due to expired licenses and trademarked titles, these games have been renamed in later official compilations:

AD&D Cloudy Mountain became "Adventure" and "Crown of Kings"

AD&D Treasure of Tarmin became "Minotaur"

Good to know.  AD&D Cloud Mountain is one I have very fond memories of and wish to play again.  However, I've not been able to find it...

How have you not been able to find it? 

It is a common cart, so if you have an Intellivision console (or get one) there are tons of carts on ebay. 

If you get an Intellivision Flashback, then it is on there. 

If you do emulation, then the rom is floating around on the interwebs. 

So how can you not find it? 

3 hours ago, Debs said:

Iv got cloudy mountain but it’s not the same as the original dungeons and dragons from intellevision, Iv also got adventure but like I said neither are the same

Sorry, my comment was a reply to @nadir 

But your response is quite interesting.

Can you please try and describe the gameplay better from what you or your father remembers?

You mentioned that you purchased that Atari 50, but as others mentioned here: that contains no Intellivision games.

Then you replied with this:

On 10/19/2023 at 8:52 AM, Debs said:

Omg Iv just seen the game I’m after!! I only want the dungeons and dragons game. For my dad as we used to play it when I was younger, without pestering you more could you please tell me what console I’ll need as there are a few of them and Iv already spent a fortune trying to get this game x

thank you x

So what game did you just see?

There were only three dungeons and dragons games for Intellivision.

1. Intellivision AD&D Cloudy Mountain (renamed Crown of Kings on the Flashback):

2. Intellivision AD&D The Treasure of Tarmin (renamed Minotaur on the Flashback)

3. Intellivision Tower of Doom:

Unless you want to count Intellivision Thunder Castle as a D&D game:

Just in case: Atari 2600 Adventure:

So what game are you looking for?

• Like 5

4 hours ago, nadir said:

Oh wow, I'd never heard of the Intellivision Flashback before.  Looks pretty cool, but also hard to find and high priced right now.  Would love to have one for "Crown of Kings" and Sea Battle, but not $200 much...  Ugh.

I think you should do your own searching, but since you obviously need a little help:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/235266873060?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=8FS63WyWRW-&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=gQiI17h_SM-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Just over $60 shipped 

note that it needs a TV with yellow/red/white AV inputs, so you’ll want to sort that out beforehand 

Intellivision games never seemed right to me. They had thin sounds, same same graphics between games (Exec), and were slow (Again, use of the Exec). I just never saw it as "better" Back in the day.  I have a II model, and a lot of games, I never play it.

You really have to be a fanboy to pay $200 for a flashback.

3 hours ago, Zonie said:

Intellivision games never seemed right to me. They had thin sounds, same same graphics between games (Exec), and were slow (Again, use of the Exec). I just never saw it as "better" Back in the day.  I have a II model, and a lot of games, I never play it.

You really have to be a fanboy to pay $200 for a flashback.

Their sports games were very good (compared to Atari 2600/5200) and some of their other games were good, too.  Usually the sim type game, not the arcade type.  So the dungeon exploring games were cool, especially the maddeningly non-ending "Swords & Serpents".  Also, "Sea Battle", "Armor Battle", "Sub Hunt", "Space Battle" was ok, "Utopia" was always a blast trying to blanket your island nation with nothing but factories and maybe one hospital (keep the workers alive) and one fishing boat/fleet (keep the workers fed) and I suppose a couple house blocks, too?  A crop square, if you're feeling generous, hahaaha.  I remember their arcade game ports as being weaker than other consoles.

Of course the controllers were thee worst, that stupid direction disc thing destroyed my thumbs.

3 hours ago, ledzep said:

Their sports games were very good (compared to Atari 2600/5200) and some of their other games were good, too.  Usually the sim type game, not the arcade type.  So the dungeon exploring games were cool, especially the maddeningly non-ending "Swords & Serpents".  Also, "Sea Battle", "Armor Battle", "Sub Hunt", "Space Battle" was ok, "Utopia" was always a blast trying to blanket your island nation with nothing but factories and maybe one hospital (keep the workers alive) and one fishing boat/fleet (keep the workers fed) and I suppose a couple house blocks, too?  A crop square, if you're feeling generous, hahaaha.  I remember their arcade game ports as being weaker than other consoles.

Of course the controllers were thee worst, that stupid direction disc thing destroyed my thumbs.

Never understood this hype people have for the Intelivision when the 5200 and the Colecovision released right after and did everything the Intelivision did but better.

30 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

"right after"? It was more than two years later (which made a bigger difference at the time).

I guess for  people at the  time it must have felt like a long time had passed in between these systems release's, for me looking at this era in retrospect it almost feels like they all released simultaneously.

• Haha 1

Back in those days, you had to wait 3 years between Star Wars movies, and a similarly long time for something to be shown on TV, and home video wasn’t an option for most people. People watched TV shows per the programming schedule, and if you missed an episode, tough luck. Information came from paper newspapers and magazines, game reviews from in store demos, your friends’ word of mouth, and the back of the box which usually contained a bullshot of a screen grab. 

The gap between Intellivision and Colecovision, technologically speaking, felt like the gap between PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 5. Even though it was more like 2 years instead of 20. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JPF997 said:

I guess for  people at the  time it must have felt like a long time had passed in between these systems release's, for me looking at this era in retrospect it almost feels like they all released simultaneously.

it was ages.  it was the difference between being in jr high and high school or being a high school freshman and a high school junior.  or moving from high school to college.  in many cases, your interests can completely shift around during those years of life.  in my house, we must have had 50 or 60 atari 2600 cartridges...but by the time the 5200 and then the 7800 came out, we had moved onto other entertainments and distractions.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JPF997 said:

Never understood this hype people have for the Intelivision when the 5200 and the Colecovision released right after and did everything the Intelivision did but better.

Not the strategy games, though.  Believe me, my friend had both the 5200 and the Intellivision, he didn't bother getting the 5200 sports games, and there were no dungeon type games for it, either.  That's what the Intellivision was for.  And for being miserable for any shooter type games.

• Haha 1