IGNORED

Book of Five Rings (Atari 2600 homebrew)

dmanning23

A samurai duel for the Atari 2600

Inspired by the writing of Musashi Musashino, the art of Hiroshige, and of course Bushido Blade, the grandaddy of all one-hit-kill swordfighting games.

Link:

https://github.com/dmanning23/BookOfFiveRings

Hey yall! I've been working on this homebrew Atari2600 game for a hot minute. It's finally done, and I thought I'd share it with the wider Atari community.

You can download BookOfFiveRings.bin from the link above for the latest version. You'll need a buddy to play, it's 2p only, but it's worth it, yall will have fun :)

I'm currently working on some fancy faux ukiyo-e artwork for label art and would love to do a physical release at some point, but for now I'd love if anyone has any feedback.

Cheers!

Screenshot.png

Edited by dmanning23
  • Like 13

45 minutes ago, LatchKeyKid said:

Do you have to do something special to download and play it?  I clicked on the github link and right click/save as on the BOFR bin file from 3 weeks ago and it gives me a fatal error in Stella. 

Whoops, the links in the post weren't quite right....
I changed it to link straight to the "releases" page, the BookOfFiveRings.bin from that page works 👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dmanning23 said:

Whoops, the links in the post weren't quite right....
I changed it to link straight to the "releases" page, the BookOfFiveRings.bin from that page works 👍

Thanks and it worked this time.   It may sound strange but I like what you did with the mountain background switching colors and leaving gaps in the playfield to maintain continuous colors.  Is the game done?  If not, do you plan to use any balls/missiles whether as such items or just asthetic flourishes to the characters?  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LatchKeyKid said:

Thanks and it worked this time.   It may sound strange but I like what you did with the mountain background switching colors and leaving gaps in the playfield to maintain continuous colors.  Is the game done?  If not, do you plan to use any balls/missiles whether as such items or just asthetic flourishes to the characters?  

Thanks for playing, and for the feedback! :)

I thought about adding more features, but I feel like it's in a good spot. I'm calling it "done" unless someone points out any glaring issues.

• Like 1

I'm a programmer, and I can't help myself...  I looked at your source code, and saw a whole bunch of possible optimizations, and a lot of free space already, so I optimized it and made it into a 2K game instead of 4K.  I only had to free up around 256 bytes or so...  Hope you don't mind...

BookOfFiveRings.bin

Hopefully, I didn't break anything.  I did this mostly for my own amusement, I like optimizing 6502 code....

• Like 3

12 hours ago, glurk said:

I'm a programmer, and I can't help myself...  I looked at your source code, and saw a whole bunch of possible optimizations, and a lot of free space already, so I optimized it and made it into a 2K game instead of 4K.  I only had to free up around 256 bytes or so...  Hope you don't mind...

BookOfFiveRings.bin 2 kB · 9 downloads

Hopefully, I didn't break anything.  I did this mostly for my own amusement, I like optimizing 6502 code....

Nice! Did you make a fork so I can get an idea of what changes you made? Yeah, this is my first atari2600 and 6502 project, so I was learning as I go 😅

Whats the significance of getting the size down to 2k? Were 2k carts cheaper or something similar?

Back in the day, 2K carts were significantly cheaper, yeah.  That changed later on.  But this was almost  2K anyways, like I said.  And I saw a lot of stuff like:

LDA addr

CMP #0

BNE label

And that CMP #0 is unneeded, the LDA sets the flag already.  I didn't use git at all, I just downloaded the source zip and worked on that way.  And I only optimized as much as necessary to get it below 2K, more optimizations were / are possible.  Just something I enjoy doing.  I didn't really comment ANYTHING in the source, so I didn't want to post it...

• Like 1

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Book of Five Rings on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
23 hours ago, atari2600land said:

How do I play this? The fighters all move around by themselves with weird sound effects playing. ???

I just loaded the game in Stella and it did this as well. I usually keep Stella with Developer mode on for developing and testing games. When I turned off developer mode the game acted normally!

There appears to be an issue with the game that developer mode is triggering that causes the game to play on it's own and possibly cause the graphic corruption you're seeing. I unfortunately don't have the time today to troubleshoot it but you can turn off the developer options one by one to see which one (or more) is causing it. This will help the developer narrow down the issue and possibly update the game to ensure that it won't have this issue on certain iterations of Atari 2600 compatible consoles.

- James

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2024 at 2:35 PM, atari2600land said:

How do I play this? The fighters all move around by themselves with weird sound effects playing. ???

Yikes, yeah I can take a look. I only ever used Stella right out of the box, I'll poke around at the settings and see if I can reproduce the bug.