IGNORED

More proof that synthwave and cyberpunk aesthetics fit Atari perfectly

JPF997

10 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

GoldLeader you've been one of the most welcoming and kindest people I've interacted with since joining this site  (alongside Roots, Mushroom, zzip and Giles) what's your honest assessment on this whole situation, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this whole thing, maybe a final word so that we can all  finally move on from all this bickering  and talking past each other.

image.thumb.jpeg.373bb47dcff382effb409b5412330976.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The associations we make between things are subjective.   I might find a particular piece of music goes perfectly with something else.   But there's no way to convince someone else of that if they never had the same experience I did.

The synthwave aesthetic definitely has roots in one design aesthetic that came out of the late 80s,   But the 80s version of it seemed to grow out of Miami Vice, and adorned school yearbook covers rather than have any influence over videogames.  The style emerged after Atari's peak, so nothing about it says Atari to me.

The fact that Atari is embracing the synthwave style now is simply because that style is everywhere lately,  not because there's a historical connection.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, JPF997 said:

Ledzep I don't know if it's just your style of writing but everytime we have a discussion it feels like you're just itching to pull out a shotgun, this stuff isn't that serious man.

Never said it was that serious, that's how you see it with these constant new attempts to "win" the debates you fucked up in previous threads, and then accusing people here of trying to sabotage your online life like you matter enough to make that effort.  You should look up "sarcasm" and see if you can understand it.  I don't mean the written definition, but actual sarcasm.  Many people on this forum can get away with those kinds of statements because the rest of us can tell by their wording and context that they're being sarcastic or only voicing their personal opinions.  And when, sometimes, they're not trying to be funny, they will at least try to present evidence to back up their positions.

As others have said about your posts, if there's humor in there it's hard to see buried in the way you write.  And you getting defensive about everything tends to negate "I was just joking".  This stuff isn't that serious, man, stop generating new threads to relitigate past debates because everybody didn't agree with you.

You keep going on about me making "statement's" and passing my opinions as facts but I did no such thing,

I direct you to your subject line for this thread as an example - "More proof that synthwave and cyberpunk aesthetics fit Atari perfectly", you keep trying to drive this idea (among others) home as fact.  Or are you going to now claim that this is "romantic interpretation" or humor or just personal opinion or something else?

" the recharged games are like the synthwave remix, the perfect evolution " how could you not tell that this was just an opinion, somehow in your mind the moment I posted this you decided that I was trying to force my opinions down you're throat or something and everything spiraled out of control from that point forward.

If only that were the only time you made such a statement.  Go through that thread again and count the many many times you doubled down on that and other statements about Atari fans, society, synthwave, etc., that were presented as obvious truths (and stop acting like I'm the only one who saw your statements that way, many people were coming at you with versions of "where the fuck do you get that idea?").  There's nothing perfect about the Recharged games or synthwave regardless of you and your zoomer friends thinking they're great.  Some people like them, wonderful.

That "statement" is no different then when you said stuff like synthwave music was crap, the power ups on the recharged games were crap, graphics and gameplay suck compared to the originals etc these are all just opinions in the end and everyone is allowed to state there's no matter how much you might disagree with them.

Within the context of comparisons to the original arcade versions, yes, all those additions are crap because they add nothing and for the most part reduce or remove what made the original gameplay unique compared to their contemporaries from that original era (if you ever actually play the originals as intended you will hopefully, finally understand this).  As modern games, whatever, I suppose they fit the general design of constant reward, slow movement, gigantic explosions, viewpoint sliding, music saturated games that younger gamers demand.  Why you would want a thousand versions of the same peanut butter & jelly sandwich, I don't know.  Wanting all these older, unique games to "evolve" into the same new result is boring and repetitive.  But then that's what you seem to prefer with this synthwave and associated artwork so it's to be expected, I guess.  More purple!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

They aren't mere coincidences.  But they are marketing.  Which you either like or you don't.

As far as Atari,  (Personally) I think of their reign from roughly 1977-1983,  mostly 1980-83 for home video games (not including arcade stuff)...And when I think of synthwave and cyberpunk aesthetics,  I think 1987-1990 roughly (The NES years, as home video games go)...Two different time frames that people lump together when they think "The 80's"...

5 hours ago, JPF997 said:

Blade runner was in 82 though... Cyberpunk is not a late 80s phenomenon, Synthwave isn't either, it's inspired by the  late 80s synthesizer music but it was actually  invented in the 2000s( funny enough around the same time when Infogrames became Atari, maybe that's why I make these associations).

4 hours ago, JPF997 said:

GoldLeader you've been one of the most welcoming and kindest people I've interacted with since joining this site  (alongside Roots, Mushroom, zzip and Giles) what's your honest assessment on this whole situation, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this whole thing, maybe a final word so that we can all  finally move on from all this bickering  and talking past each other.

2 hours ago, zzip said:

The associations we make between things are subjective.   I might find a particular piece of music goes perfectly with something else.   But there's no way to convince someone else of that if they never had the same experience I did.

The synthwave aesthetic definitely has roots in one design aesthetic that came out of the late 80s,   But the 80s version of it seemed to grow out of Miami Vice, and adorned school yearbook covers rather than have any influence over videogames.  The style emerged after Atari's peak, so nothing about it says Atari to me.

The fact that Atari is embracing the synthwave style now is simply because that style is everywhere lately,  not because there's a historical connection.

Thanks for the kind words.  But,  far be it from me to give a "final word".  I was just speaking off the cuff.  Mainly to the aesthetics (not the actual music or genres,  like cyberpunk etc.).  To me,  the synthwave Look, (Not music) seems like it started in the later 80's,  so I don't personally tie it to Atari as King of home video games.  Looking at the old box designs for games for instance...Although I could see it a little bit in TRON, the movie (If a different color palette were used),  but TRON games (for Atari 2600, as opposed to Intellivision) were relatively small events compared to, say, TRON the Arcade game.

Anyway I think @zzip has summed it up better than I ever could in his first paragraph,  (That whole post actually).

I'll add that Modern Atari seems to be leaning heavily into this design philosophy...That part is not some imagined idea.  Whether or not you like it,  or tie it to the past;  is another matter...

IMHO,  a spirited sharing of ideas and associations would be better here than a debate or argument...instead of saying "Here's PROOF!  (Mic Drop)"  You might have commented on what you've found lately and how it feeds into your viewpoint and ended with "What are your thoughts?"

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

They aren't mere coincidences.  But they are marketing.  Which you either like or you don't.

As far as Atari,  (Personally) I think of their reign from roughly 1977-1983,  mostly 1980-83 for home video games (not including arcade stuff)...And when I think of synthwave and cyberpunk aesthetics,  I think 1987-1990 roughly (The NES years, as home video games go)...Two different time frames that people lump together when they think "The 80's"...

Ok - you summed it it up nicely, and  that should settle it then.

👍🏻

• Haha 1

Here's some thoughts:

Here's what no one ever thought of:

Purple equals synthwave (heavy on the LASER Grids),  but if it were Ultraviolet and Blue clearly we're talkin TRON,  Where's my Frisbee?,   However if Blade Runner is what it all boils down to,  Then it should light up,  be Blue-ish (transparent blue perhaps),  and remember,  If you ain't on the side of a building to be seen clearly by your flying Jetsons car, then you ain't shit.  But if Star Wars is the source,  then clearly all spaceships will have a color scheme of white or gray,  with racing stripes of dirt and rust.  and throw solar panels all over,  why don'tchya? 

PS:  If a Dragon looks like it should talk,  That's The Hobbit.  If it looks like  it should quack,  That's Adventure, Baby.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

However if Blade Runner is what it all boils down to,  Then it should light up,  be Blue-ish (transparent blue perhaps), 

Yeah, and the backdrops should be dirty, polluted, gritty, dark-greyish smoke-coloured, futuristic-gothic and messy

and characters should either be angry, bitter-looking future-punks or calm introvert cynics. 

I really don’t see so much of that in the merch-poster.

However… Vangelis did the end credits theme… is that synthwave…? 
Or Dark-synth? NeoDarkWave? Or Dysto-dark-future-wave-neuro-Neotronica?   Or… synth-music?

Many, questions. So few answers…

Just thougth poster loooked like ‘yeah we like the nostalgia-futurism better than recent futurism, since it looks ‘78-‘83’ 

That’s fine.

I just don’t think it fits in games with elves shooting at centipedes or moving in a landscape of medieval castles fighting dire du…dragons.

And, btw/  its all way too happy and clean.

Where is the super-cool pollutionhaze-covered lost horizon, and transhumanoids ripping the face of normal people ..  with an omniously glowing Atari World-Corporation Mega Sign on top of the highest pentagonal mega-skyscraper in the background, flashing its spotlights around with sudden jerky movements, annihilating non-conformists on the street…?

Why isn’t that included, if its all cozy nostalgia about the good ol’ days where everyone knew what a real Dystopia would be all about…?

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 2

This would be better LIVE!

If you all will fly to Wyoming,   Meet me at the Blue Raven...I'm buying you all a beer!

Offer goes out heartily but not limited only to @JPF997 @ledzep @Razzie.P @roots.genoa @zzip @jerseystyle @Flojomojo @dudeguy @Charlie Cat  @Atarian7 @D Train @bent_pin @x=usr(1536)@digdugnate @joeatari1 @Lord Mushroom and @Giles N   (Or Hell,  Anybody who's responded here,  or over there,, I'm tired, I threw in extra people who were too smart to take the bait and respond over here,   and I get you all mixed up anyway) ...

CHEERS!

• Like 11

1 hour ago, GoldLeader said:

If you all will fly to Wyoming,   Meet me at the Blue Raven...I'm buying you all a beer!

Offer goes out heartily but not limited only to @JPF997 @ledzep @Razzie.P @roots.genoa @zzip @jerseystyle @Flojomojo @dudeguy @Charlie Cat  @Atarian7 @D Train @bent_pin @x=usr(1536)@digdugnate @joeatari1 @Lord Mushroom and @Giles N   (Or Hell,  Anybody who's responded here,  or over there,, I'm tired, I threw in extra people who were too smart to take the bait and respond over here,   and I get you all mixed up anyway) ...

CHEERS!

Happy Hour Drinking GIF

• Like 3

CHEERS!

Thank you for the offer Johnny. I appreciate it. :)

Garfield And Friends Thumbs Up GIF

Anthony..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Fair enough,

I often have acid reflux myself,  which sucks!  Taking Famotidine before any questionable meal goes a long way for me...

Unfortunately I have to take a pill every morning for now. I tried several times to decrease to every other day, but it always fail. 😔

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

CHEERS!

image.jpeg.a0c2aad546d4543fd795953c4ea2312b.jpeg

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Fair enough,

I often have acid reflux myself,  which sucks!  Taking Famotidine before any questionable meal goes a long way for me...

4 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Unfortunately I have to take a pill every morning for now. I tried several times to decrease to every other day, but it always fail. 😔

So poignant as last night I had bad acid reflux (even with the pill)...I took a double dose every meal for 2 years and it went away, but a couple of years later, it came back...Now I take it often!

Welcome to the We're getting old thread!   (Sorry for the derail Haaa!)

• Like 1

So poignant as last night I had bad acid reflux (even with the pill)...I took a double dose every meal for 2 years and it went away, but a couple of years later, it came back...Now I take it often!

Welcome to the We're getting old thread!   (Sorry for the derail Haaa!)

further derailing because of course, i'm on Prilosec daily for the same thing and have to take ANOTHER acid blocker at dinner if it's particularly spicy/acidic.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1