IGNORED

NEOGEO: what kind of console would like to see in the future

vprette

NEOGEO: what kind of console would like to see in the future  

5 members have voted

1. 1. if you can choose a new NEO GEO console in 2024

• An upgrade of the retroconsole compatible with original NEOGEO CD games + performing better graphics for new games on dvd
    • A next generation console with digital distribution of classic and new snk games
    • A next generation console allowing to play only streaming service like the Stadia, classic and new snk games

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Cant' vote, doesn't have a good option.

Minimally speaking I'd like to see the snobbery boutique end of what Analogue did with the NeoGeo years ago revisited right.  Modern board, components, but like their $199 consoles HDMI output, you can pay more if you want to go back to a DAC setup for that.

But where I don't have the vote, I'd want this to have small storage to it on a chip with firmware and the works.  NO fluff, similar again to what Analogue DUO will do at best (has inputs for carts and a drive for optical), except you DO have a store front with the option to buy games cheaper as downloads to the system, with an account in case something goes bad so you can grab them again if you replace the hardware.  Nothing so unified you could carry it between Steam, that would be nice, but way much of a reach.

I wouldn't even buy a $5 NeoGeo if it was left to streaming, that's just netflix rentals, I refuse.  The stadia and their ilk are garbage fires.

• Like 6

I chose the first option, but it is still is completely unrealistic, having a modern console that is backwards with a 16-bit one, unless the new part doesn't interact with the "old", like two systems sharing the same shell, or if it was just a console with similar capabilities to the Neo Geo, but way more powerful, the drawback would be that then it wouldn't run modern games like KOF XV.

As for streaming and digital only distribution, no thanks, although NG emulation is really good, I'm not interested, besides, you can already play most of these games in Prime Gaming, Arcade Archives, Antstream Arcade and many other official services, you don't need a 200$+ brick with a Neo Geo logo to do it.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Minimally speaking I'd like to see the snobbery boutique end of what Analogue did with the NeoGeo years ago revisited right.  Modern board, components, but like their $199 consoles HDMI output, you can pay more if you want to go back to a DAC setup for that.

I think Analogue is limited by the amount of pins on a FPGA to do it, I don't have exact numbers but I think the chip would require more than 200 pins for a cartridge port, unless they made a console that only plays CD, which would be too niche even for them.

Now, there were some news in 2019 that SNK wanted to make Neo Geo's 2 and 3, but nothing has been said so far, they even removed the part of Wikipedia that said that.

I want an exA-Arcadia, which is about the closest thing to a Neo Geo these days.

I know it just plays versions of games my Steam deck can do for a tiny fraction of the cost,

and that the new hot game featured on their youtube (below) is ported from this $11 steam title...

But some day I'll own an exA-Arcadia anyway.

Edited by Reaperman

• 2 months later...

I would love to see a sprite based Neo Geo that can handle 100s of 1000s of sprite on screen and billions of colours. Also with every single sprite effect that's possible. Basically a sprite based cartridge console that's a million times more powerful than the original Neo Geo. I have no Idea what that would look like. Would I still look like sprites?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a 'gamer today' and I won't tolerate that shit.  I tapped out on buying MVS games.  I was overjoyed when a dozen years after the fact they fixed the old 161in1 banana cart with a v3 about 18mo ago that cleared up the most damning audio scratching, audio volume out of control, and games not working period (like bullets in Aero FIghters 3) type stuff.  It's not perfect, but it's very well cleaned up over the mess it was for way too long.

...now if someone would do the treatment on the 138in1, the two would round the entire library out aside from some crap quiz titles.