IGNORED

IDE v3 Prototype and Pre-order link online

Shift838

31 minutes ago, Kchula-Rrit said:

Is there a way I can save that movie to my computer for future reference?  I just feel my blood pressure going up whenever YouTube blasts those inane commercials every few minutes.

K-R.

https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp

It can also bypass age-gated videos, and sometime protected videos.  I really wish people understood how the Internet works so this kind of subversive shyte would not be necessary.  But, control freaks gonna control.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kchula-Rrit said:

Is there a way I can save that movie to my computer for future reference?  I just feel my blood pressure going up whenever YouTube blasts those inane commercials every few minutes.

K-R.

i have saved it to my site:

https://www.shift838.com/media/IDEv3_Demo.mp4

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just feel my blood pressure going up whenever YouTube blasts those inane commercials every few minutes.

I use Ad Block Pro, Ghostery, and Enhancer for YouTube, in the Firefox browser, and I am never logged in.  Somewhere within this mix, not only do I avoid ads but I also evade the YouTube blocks.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp

It can also bypass age-gated videos, and sometime protected videos.  I really wish people understood how the Internet works so this kind of subversive shyte would not be necessary.  But, control freaks gonna control.

Thanks!  Just tried it  Took half an hour to download the demo film, but the quality looks good!

K-R.

• Like 1

pre-order is now closed.  I'll be ordering PCBs and components this week.  Estimate 2 weeks for component and PCB delivery before builds start.

Builds will start based on order number.  Updates will be sent via email.

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 4

Decided to update the manual again and include a basic assembly guide.  sorry no pictures yet.  I'll take pics and update the manual again after the production boards come in.

I have also updated the manual to talk about an issue with the V7805-2000R DC2DC converter.  It is working as expected, however, with the old TI PEB power supplies the minimum requirements for the DC2DC converter to operate correctly is 8.0 VDC, if the original TI PEB power supply is providing less than the minimum voltage required the DC2DC converter will not work, and the card will act as if it is bad and not able to be seen.

This is not the case in any PEB or 838-PEB that is using the PC ATX power supply that is delivering 12v to the 8v lines.  There are 3 solutions for this issue:

1. Replace the V7805-2000R with a V7805-1500R (which I am doing on all the assembled and DIY kits that were ordered).  The only difference between the 2 parts is one delivers 2A while the other is only 1.5A, which 1.5A is plenty.  Although the 1.5Amp version is a few dollars more.
  2. Replace the power supply in the expansion unit to ensure it is delivering at least 8.0 VDC on pin #1 and pin #2 of the PEB connector (pins closes to the back of the PEB).
  3. Replace the DC2DC converter with a LM7805 1.5-amp voltage regulator, replace the 22uF electrolytic with a 47uF 35v electrolytic, replace the 22uF ceramic with a .1uF 50v ceramic capacitor.
    • Please note this option will produce 50 degrees more heat on the card.

• Like 3

The manual states that the DSR needs to be loaded into the RAM on the IDE board before it can be used.  Could the DSR be burned into an EPROM, so this would not be necessary?

Also, on Page 10 of the manual, should the line read 1024 bytes=1KB and 1024KB=1MB?  It currently reads 1024 bytes=1KB and 1000KB=1MB.

K-R.

Could the DSR be burned into an EPROM, so this would not be necessary?

I was going to attempt this when I get my unit. I have both Dallas and BQ 512k units that are battery backed and when I get the DSR loaded on one, I was going to place it in my mini pro and save the data then see if I can put it on flash eprom. @F.G. Kaal, I believe is the author of the DSR and may already have a bin that could be used.

9 minutes ago, 9640News said:

Just as a thought, is the BIN esentially already created when setting up with MAME?

Unknown, I've never used the IDE card feature in Mame, so it very well could be. That is something I can play with while I'm recovering, now that I have an Ide card.

Edited by RickyDean
spelling

3 hours ago, Kchula-Rrit said:

The manual states that the DSR needs to be loaded into the RAM on the IDE board before it can be used.  Could the DSR be burned into an EPROM, so this would not be necessary?

Also, on Page 10 of the manual, should the line read 1024 bytes=1KB and 1024KB=1MB?  It currently reads 1024 bytes=1KB and 1000KB=1MB.

K-R.

Can you add a link to the document here

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 4:41 PM, Kchula-Rrit said:

K-R.

I asked their very exact question to Fred before I started down this path for the through-hole design.  He told me it would be a lot of work to work on the DSR to get it loaded into an EPROM.  Since the DSR is so simple to load and literally loads in a few seconds (I use the BIN file on my FG99 to load the DSR), Fred nor I could see the benefit to spend that much time to recode the DSR to get it to work on a EPROM.

• Like 1