IGNORED

MORTAL KOMBAT for ATARI JAGUAR is in the works!?

walter_J64bit

18 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I hope this isn't the same dude that worked up a badly animated menu some months ago.

It looks like he's putting in some real work to make this look good and that "badly animated menu" was a quick and dirty thing he threw together. I think things are coming together based on what he's shown so far. If he sees it through I think we'll have a very nice looking and running version of MK running on the Jag.

• Like 1

I remember the video from a while back of him putting together the menu. It's nice to see that he's continuing with this, although I'd be a bit hesitant to become a patron considering he doesn't have any prior releases. I'd love to see this get completed, though.

Well, wishing them luck.  Had my Jag since release in early 94, and if I had a dollar every time an unknown showed up and promised something, well, I would have a big f'ing stack of dollars.  I am not joining a patron, nor am I holding my breath.  If it comes out and isn't shit, I'll buy it.  But if I was a betting man (and I am not), I would let Vegas know the odds of pigs flying out of my lilly-white ass is at least a 10:1 winner.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Stephen said:

Well, wishing them luck.  Had my Jag since release in early 94, and if I had a dollar every time an unknown showed up and promised something, well, I would have a big f'ing stack of dollars.  I am not joining a patron, nor am I holding my breath.  If it comes out and isn't shit, I'll buy it.  But if I was a betting man (and I am not), I would let Vegas know the odds of pigs flying out of my lilly-white ass is at least a 10:1 winner.

Oh Stephen...

8 hours ago, alucardX said:

Is there a thread that talks more about it?

What is there to talk about? Dave Bell was a 16 year old kid at the time, had absolutely zero prior experience with game development, and was quite clearly making grandiose claims that he could never back up. In hindsight, it's more amazing that anyone believed he was actually working on a Jag game.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

What is there to talk about? Dave Bell was a 16 year old kid at the time, had absolutely zero prior experience with game development, and was quite clearly making grandiose claims that he could never back up. In hindsight, it's more amazing that anyone believed he was actually working on a Jag game.

That is more or less what I was interested in. I heard about the game and everything through magazines and friends but the story behind that claim is what I was curious about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwanSong said:

Neat idea but I already have plenty of ways to play MK, much rather see something new or never released finished.

There's certainly no shortage of new (and even quite a few original) Jaguar games being developed for the Jaguar thankfully. With that said, maybe this guy fits the bill for the project perfectly. It was bound to happen someday one way or another anyways. If it ends up playing well, it'll be fun to play against other Jaguar enthusiasts at shows. Maybe he'll go on to give the same treatment to MK3 should this one work out well.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tripled79 said:

Didn't Dave Bell say he was working on a joystick controller?

That was a modified Gravis Blackhawk flightstick, which was released in very limited numbers but didn't work properly on some Jags. There may be some others here who can tell you more about it, I'm just working on my memory from over 25 years ago. 

5 hours ago, Sauron said:

That was a modified Gravis Blackhawk flightstick, which was released in very limited numbers but didn't work properly on some Jags. There may be some others here who can tell you more about it, I'm just working on my memory from over 25 years ago. 

Whatever happened to Dark Knight Games?

26 minutes ago, tripled79 said:

Whatever happened to Dark Knight Games?

They disappeared once everyone figured out that they wouldn't release any games. I haven't seen Dan Loosen around these parts lately, he could tell you more about them.

• Like 1

Don't we have enough 2d fighting games on the Jaguar? It is like with the Mario64 rewrite: You don't get the IP ! Do I dare to watch the YouTube video? At least I think that gamers would mix together his game with the Mortal Kombat CD somehow and then play in Jaguar as a proof of principle. Please buy the existing Jag IP for cheap and use that as a placeholder.

Those projects are really good proof of technical concept - yes that console could do it - but they come with 3 major flaws imo:

- When (or if) the project is completed, you can't even distribute it freely. So as long as you ported an obscure license from 82, you might get away with it, but go on try to sell a Mortal Kombat game, it won't last long before you receive a C&D.

- They actually take most of the light compared to original homebrew games. Nothing surprising, but I find it a bit sad imo. 

- And maybe the most important, you had time to play them a million times on different systems. As such they really don't bring anything. If it's an enhanced port, yes sure, but it is rarely the case.

• Like 2