IGNORED

Ti99Dir version 9.1.a

F.G. Kaal

2 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

Yeah.  I saw that.  WTF is "BKav Pro"?  A little aggravated VirusTotal did not unzip the download and do testing.

24 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Yeah.  I saw that.  WTF is "BKav Pro"?  A little aggravated VirusTotal did not unzip the download and do testing.

BKav Pro is anti-virus vendor from Vietnam, which uses AI and cloud tech to scan files, its now used by Chrome and many other mobile browsers to stop you from downloading malware. -- The type it is flagging is:  W32.AIDetectMalware - Most likely its a false positive since its AI is not perfect so tough to say what it is detecting, but my system had no issues with the previous two 9.x releases.

Don't know what is wrong with the virus scanners these days. Plugged in some external USB disk few weeks ago and the virus scanner found some virus in a 15+ year old program I had build with Visual studio 2005. And what does that program do ... it was a simulation of a control panel for a traffic controller with a serial connection (which I use in a lot of my programs), some circulair buffer in common RAM (which I also use in a lot of programs), a few buttons and a bitmap that simulates an 8 line by 40 characters LCD display. I just don't understand this nonsense that suddenly pops up.

FYI: The Ti99Dir ZIP's are all made with the same version of TotalCommander.

Anyway  you can also download that program here:

https://hexbus.com/ti99geek/Projects/ti99dir/ti99dir.html

Microsoft DEFENDER will often flag downloads from sources it doesn't recognize as dangerous. If you click on the drop down box "More information", you are given the option "To run anyway" if it is a trusted source (like Fred). it will run and you will have no further trouble with the file. Norton has a similar bypass function. 

Edited by atrax27407

4 hours ago, F.G. Kaal said:

Don't know what is wrong with the virus scanners these days. Plugged in some external USB disk few weeks ago and the virus scanner found some virus in a 15+ year old program I had build with Visual studio 2005.

Even as a proponent, I feel like I am stepping back in time with some of today's antivirus shenanigans.  Much of which is the same behavior exhibited by Amiga antivirus which would recognize certain packed programs as dangerous because some viruses/malware used the same packers.  Though this is not entirely new.  BITD Rhinosoft's FTP software used to get blocked because some malware used it in their packages.

I have to keep protected copies of some software I use because of this very issue.  Back when I supported medical environments, a particular vendor (whose name rhymes with "Henry Schein") had its software install outside of the "Program Files" directory structure which always triggered antivirus software as suspicious, and white-listing was only good up until the next update.  Fun stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, atrax27407 said:

Microsoft DEFENDER will often flag downloads from sources it doesn't recognize as dangerous. If you click on the drop down box "More information", you are given the option "To run anyway" if it is a trusted source (like Fred). it will run and you will have no further trouble with the file. Norton has a similar bypass function. 

I used to be able to do that before, if I ran into issues, but this time around with latest version, as soon as I unpack the zip, it flags and locks the .EXE and I can't run it. I have to find a way for it to stop auto-flagging the file after it is unzipped.

8 hours ago, F.G. Kaal said:

Don't know what is wrong with the virus scanners these days. Plugged in some external USB disk few weeks ago and the virus scanner found some virus in a 15+ year old program I had build with Visual studio 2005. And what does that program do ... it was a simulation of a control panel for a traffic controller with a serial connection (which I use in a lot of my programs), some circulair buffer in common RAM (which I also use in a lot of programs), a few buttons and a bitmap that simulates an 8 line by 40 characters LCD display. I just don't understand this nonsense that suddenly pops up.

I was using Trend Micro both at home and at work. I built a small windows util at work, sent it home, and my home machine insisted it was infected and refused to download it. VirusTotal reported zero detections on it, so I pinged tech support. After all, I paid for it. A month later I gave up in frustration. They wouldn't even look at it, let alone discuss what might have gone wrong.

Finally, with today's Windows Update, there was a new update for Microsoft Defender, and now I no longer have issues with 9.3a, i was able to unpack the zip and run the .exe without my computer going into a tailspin of locking the .exe with malware warning. Many thanks for the update @F.G. Kaal working great.

image.thumb.png.b735abdb8974dacb5c7cd2b7223070d4.png

image_2023_12_29T20_42_17_031Z.png

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, retroclouds said:

I noticed a difference in the size of the files in a disk image when displayed in TI-DIR compared to e.g. DM1000 or Disk Manager 2000

Is there a difference in the way filesize is calculated or am I perhaps missing something here? Thanks

I’m clearly not Fred, but I think I know what is going on. When the catalog “file” is retrieved, the TI DSR and its emulators read the number of sectors the body of a file occupies from bytes 14 and 15 of the file’s FDR and then adds 1 to account for its FDR sector. That appears to be the process used for the DMs. However, it seems that TI99Dir reports only the number from the FDR, which, of course, does not include the FDR sector.

...lee

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, retroclouds said:

I noticed a difference in the size of the files in a disk image when displayed in TI-DIR compared to e.g. DM1000 or Disk Manager 2000

Is there a difference in the way filesize is calculated or am I perhaps missing something here? Thanks

The size of a file DM2K shows is inclusive the FDR sector occupied (what Lee says 🙂 ). This number is returned by the DSR.

I don't do that in Ti99Dir because for every storage type it is different (FIAD, DOAD, ARChives, HD IMG-es (because of cluster sizes)).

Fred

Edited by F.G. Kaal
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, atrax27407 said:

The easiest way to change the color scheme is go to "Configuration", then "Options" and change to colors there. Alternatively, the colors can be set directly in the .ini file

I already change colors here but this option is only for the color fonts and background of the directory view, not the text viewer window.

Edited by fabrice montupet

I think about an improvement of the display. In a maximized window, Ti99Dir is set to use 50% of the screen to display the directory/files and 50% for Quick View. In the case of using a very high resolution monitor  the directory/files finally uses a small vertical part of the window directory and the right side of this window contains nothing. This empty space could be used to enlarge the Quick View window permitting to reduce (or remove) the horizontal scrolls when a program listing with long lines is displayed.

Could you had the way for users to change the windows vertical sizes?

On 1/4/2024 at 3:20 PM, globeron said:

With Disk Utilities 4.x it is possible to add comments at a disk (I did this in the 80's) how to start a program.

Long time ago @F.G. Kaal added this in TIDIR to visualise it, but recently when copy-ing disks,

then this description field is not copied to the new disk.

Copying the comments was never an option in Ti99Dir. I make a note of this.