IGNORED

2600+ Power Brick, what should I get?

82-T/A

7 minutes ago, Blinky said:

Just wondering. doesn't your TV have a USB port that you can use?

A lot of TV USB ports provide minimal power (and I don't know of many with usb-c ports); It may be better to get a separate power supply. Something like this should be more than sufficient: https://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Charger-Delivery-AirPods-Samsung/dp/B09CKBPZ34/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=2RP6N1VAOUND8&keywords=usb-c+power+adapter&qid=1700233183&sprefix=usb-c+power%2Caps%2C107&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Blinky said:

Just wondering. doesn't your TV have a USB port that you can use?

It does, but it's not exactly ideal for my set-up since everything runs through the wall...

IMG_6118.thumb.JPG.85539565230c0d1c248c9007d9c0af5c.JPG

14 minutes ago, Laner said:

A lot of TV USB ports provide minimal power (and I don't know of many with usb-c ports); It may be better to get a separate power supply. Something like this should be more than sufficient: https://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Charger-Delivery-AirPods-Samsung/dp/B09CKBPZ34/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=2RP6N1VAOUND8&keywords=usb-c+power+adapter&qid=1700233183&sprefix=usb-c+power%2Caps%2C107&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Thanks, I was looking at those... but I'm curious before I buy, if anyone can take a screen shot of the back of their Atari 2600+... it should show the power requirements, and then I'll probably get something specific for that. Ideally, I don't want to get something that's made for iPhones, but more like a power brick like what I have for the Atari VCS (new one). Thank you though, I appreciate it!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

Any old USB brick from a phone or other device should work, and your TV's USB can also handle it just fine. I've already read someone using a portable USB power bank to run it as well.

Not any, older ones used to have only 500mA. But any a bit more modern one should do. 

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 82-T/A said:

That is a super cool little gadget!

Yes it is very convenient and cost just a few buck from Aliexpress. I sometimes use it to see if I got the correct fast charger for my phone.

8 minutes ago, 82-T/A said:

I ended up getting this

More then enough and when you don't use your 2600+ you can charge your phone with it too!

I have a mains-powered USB hub that is used to power the hard drive for my Wii U and has a spare port, which is working well. Only needs 1amp at 5v according to the sticker on the bottom and my old USB-A iPhone charger outputs 1.5amp so that’s a viable alternative too. I was surprised the cable wasn’t USB-C on both ends, but this worked out better for me. Oh and a nice touch on the USB cable is the Atari Fuji logo replacing the USB trident - the pack-in HDMI cable similarly has the Fuji on it - pretty neat!

I use my TV's USB for a small thumb drive that allows me to pause/rewind OTA TV.  They don't put out a lot of power anyway. 

For anybody who happens to have or use a newer Atari Flashback or similar AtGames products, these usually include a micro usb 5V/1A AC adapter.  It works great with other retro mini consoles too, like the NES/SNES Classic, Genesis mini, PC Engine mini, PS Classic, etc.  And with just a cheap little 1-inch micro usb to usb-c adapter it will power your 2600+ just fine.  Ask me how I know.  They come in bags of maybe 10 for a few dollars.  So with that small adapter I can swap my 2600+ out in the same spot where I use other mini consoles with the same power and HDMI cables.  Or you can do the same thing with any other working micro-usb power solution you might have.

On 11/17/2023 at 9:01 AM, Laner said:

Runs off recent LG TV (C series) USB ports with no issues. HDMI 4 with adjacent USB for the win. Thank you LG for giving me 4 HDMIS and 3 USBs. Finally halfway adequate inputs lol 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, T.A.P. said:

Waaay too strong. You can use the USB port of your TV or almost any cheap or old USB power supply that fits. 1A is plenty.