IGNORED

My unfortunate experience with Lotharek

sideburn

20 minutes ago, as... said:

Sideburn, 

You know how many stupid messages he got?

I don't know but I can only guess, zaxon sometimes posts "such stupid" messages on Facebook :)

please chill out :)
Lotharek is a great man.

-always helps, fixes and etc.

Ya well he’s now the proud owner of my Ultrasatan that I bought for him. Hope he makes a double profit off it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, as... said:

please chill out :)
Lotharek is a great man.

-always helps, fixes and etc.

I would like him to step in and explain what he means with pirate software trashing the UltraSatan's flash memory.

I'd say it's a load of crap until proven otherwise with exactly what that software is so I can trace it ;)

/Troed of SYNC & I.C.S. I can reverse engineer things.

12 minutes ago, troed said:

I would like him to step in and explain what he means with pirate software trashing the UltraSatan's flash memory.

I'm going to take a guess here that it's related to pperas myriad of hacks including his 'hard drive adaptations'

I can tell you that against my better judgement, while taking a look at his stuff - is when my device bricked.

2 hours ago, sideburn said:

Ya well he’s now the proud owner of my Ultrasatan that I bought for him. Hope he makes a double profit off it.

He probably doesn't have time now, he earned enough money to buy three new Ferraris and six new houses. Thanks to you.

44 minutes ago, remowilliams said:

I'm going to take a guess here that it's related to pperas myriad of hacks including his 'hard drive adaptations'

I can tell you that against my better judgement, while taking a look at his stuff - is when my device bricked.

As I've written before, the UltraSatan (if it's still using the same update protocol as Jookie's original) doesn't get bricked by mistake. If someone has written software _specifically for bricking US devices_, and Lotharek knows about it, then please let everybody know.

I'll happily reverse the software and verify.

2 hours ago, remowilliams said:

I can't speak for anyone else and wouldn't even try but I've used multiple game titles from his adapted games

list and have never had a problem with the software doing any damage, anywhere...

15 hours ago, sideburn said:

Sorry to heard that,

As a hobbyist maker, and Atari ST/E lover, I can´t afford a hard disk owner without his hard disk unit...

I have some of the hard disk units I manufacture in stock,

if you desire I can make an offer to you reducing from 36€ to 30€

an unit, plus shipment to USA (10.5€ for tracked shipment,

declared package value is 15€, realistic and affordable in case of customs)

I saw that the STacy almost replicated the back side of an Atari ST in this photo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_STacy#/media/File:Atari-stacy-006.jpg

1 hour ago, masteries said:

Sorry to heard that,

As a hobbyist maker, and Atari ST/E lover, I can´t afford a hard disk owner without his hard disk unit...

I have some of the hard disk units I manufacture in stock,

if you desire I can make an offer to you reducing from 36€ to 30€

an unit, plus shipment to USA (10.5€ for tracked shipment,

declared package value is 15€, realistic and affordable in case of customs)

I saw that the STacy almost replicated the back side of an Atari ST in this photo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_STacy#/media/File:Atari-stacy-006.jpg

Thanks for the offer. It’s ok. The internal drive works in the STacy just on its last leg. I also have an HS204 that works but you have to manually twist the stepper motor at first to get it to spin up. 

I am looking into a way to get BlueSCSI to work with the ST and be done with the UltraSatan (and sadly Lotharek).

4 hours ago, sideburn said:

...I am looking into a way to get BlueSCSI to work with the ST...

I have used ACSI-SCSI adapter board by Inventronik and tried with both BlueSCSI v1 and v2 on a Mega ST. An Atari ST(f,m) is the same so should work fine. But other/any(?) ACSI-SCSI adapters should work. Like Link2 and the other ICD boards (Advantage, Advantage Plus, AdSCSI). There is reverse engineered of those boards but I don't think anyone is making/selling them.

5 hours ago, sideburn said:

Thanks for the offer. It’s ok. The internal drive works in the STacy just on its last leg. I also have an HS204 that works but you have to manually twist the stepper motor at first to get it to spin up. 

I am looking into a way to get BlueSCSI to work with the ST and be done with the UltraSatan (and sadly Lotharek).

You can always put an Utltrasatan in a STacy (internally). It's what I did - works great.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't keeping a detailed diagnostic testing log of all activities 'of things to note before my Ultrasatan Mini suddenly stops working without any warning'

The best I can tell you is that I was testing various old and new hacks of his, and with ICD and/or HDDRIVER.  Machine is a 1040ST/4MB/TOS1.04 with no issues.

Ultrasatan Mini was bricked and subsequently revived on first reflash.

What you have is a first hand account of actual real life experience that happened directly to me, delivered to you by an extremely experienced computing veteran in the spirit of trying to provide some additional information to the community.

You see, as I mentioned... the funny thing about completely unexpected events is that they are unexpected.  I wish I had a detailed step by step routine to share, but I don't.  For obvious reasons.  So I can tell you what I was doing at the time, and what I was doing it on.

Make of it what you will.

10 minutes ago, remowilliams said:

until Lotharek's thoughts on this were publicly posted...

More like Accusations, voiding warranties and holding device hostage.  Just sayin’

Only way to really find out is to be able to consistently repeat the issue using the exact same test cases. If your US blows up while playing Stunt Car Racer EVERY time then probly not a coincidence… And you can thank Geoff Crammond for finding the suspect 😆 

7 minutes ago, remowilliams said:

Lothatrek mentioned this to me (and I had no warranty or other problems with him) and he's said it to others, and it coincidentally matched my coincidental experience.  I'm assuming he has a reason.

Well I wasn’t so lucky. For me he said I didn’t follow instructions, buy his flash updater and fix it myself and demanded I pay him another $45.00 for the “repair” plus shipping to get my device back. I’m looking for US alternatives…

22 minutes ago, remowilliams said:

Understood.  Your unfortunate single experience however doesn't automatically invalidate what he's stating multiple other times about impact to the devices.

He should just fix his bug then instead of blaming the users and making them have to deal with having to re-flash their devices or honor his warranties when you ship them back for repair if you didn’t get the memo…

Has anyone shipped theirs back to him to have re flashed and he did it under warranty ?

Edited by sideburn

To repeat myself: The ONLY way using Pera Putnik's game adaptions can cause the US to brick itself is if Putnik has _explicitly_ written code to do so.

Now that's an accusation. It's also trivially provable by going through the games looking for such code. According to posts in this thread, Lotharek is the one that accuses Putnik of having done this.

I think Lotharek should step up to the plate here and make that accusation in his store - and of course - tell us exactly which game(s) it is so we can verify.

Myself I think it's untrue and just deflecting blame.