IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Unboxing Experiences

tradyblix

3 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

I and others have made similar remarks but haven't focused on it much.  I've also not quite put my finger on it.  The games do look very good, where we might have expected them to look stark or blocky or something.  I mean, they are blocky, but still, there's a crispness to the image and the colors, just really pops.  We're talking about a very low resolution image upscaled to HD, and then 4k on some of our sets.  All the post-processing on my TV is turned off, and I don't think the 2600+ is doing very much, but something about the way it is being scaled or maybe a sharpening filter or something... it just looks really good.

The colours keep blowing my mind (especially Breakout) but the fact that my original 4-switch was only connected to a b&w TV may have something to do with that 😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

The colours keep blowing my mind (especially Breakout) but the fact that my original 4-switch was only connected to a b&w TV may have something to do with that 😅

A member of AA @Dr Karnov is currently kindly testing a 1080p beta build I sent him and he reckons to his eye Image Quality is better then the launch software, sharper with clearer movement.

I get to test it myself tomorrow when back in the office. Let's see.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 12/10/2023 at 12:48 PM, Sean_1970 said:

This makes me think we need a thread with photos of 2600+ “in the wild” 😁

My first test will include 7800 Asteroids paired with a StarPlex controller. I’ll add a pic or two of my tests. I expect to start testing tomorrow.

<Edit. My first tests have been included in this thread.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ben from Plaion said:

A member of AA @Dr Karnov is currently kindly testing a 1080p beta build I sent him and he reckons to his eye Image Quality is better then the launch software, sharper with clearer movement.

I get to test it myself tomorrow when back in the office. Let's see.

If anyone has any specific games they want to see running in 1080p, let me know and I'll post something if I have the cart 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sean_1970 said:

This makes me think we need a thread with photos of 2600+ “in the wild” 😁

Here is my contribution to "in the wild" and finer (vinyl) things in life.

More thoughts on the experience:

This is a small gaming monitor I purchased for the purposes of wall mounting in a small space.  I agree with what @Brad_from_the_80s said about the image on a modern monitor, it's dynamic and feels like "how it was always meant to be".  It feels like the image outputting tech has finally caught up with Atari.  HA!

Thoughts on the joystick Old vs. New:  I love that there is a new joystick. I've been playing the shit out of jr. pacman and ms. pacman, and I find the  playing these games with an older worn in stick much easier; better corners, pivits and turns are taken with the looser joystick.  Though, sometimes I use the newer stick on jr. pacman to help "loosen it up". Though it will likely take a few years.  Also, I notice with the new stick if I'm trying to cut a quick corner to escape Blinky, then jr. gets "stuck" and I have to jostle the stick to get him to move again, it doesn't happen as much with the older joystick.  I bought the Retro Game Boyz 7800 controller and it's butter.  Real nice control with that one.  

There are my thoughts for this week.  I'm loving the hell out of this device and it has propelled me into a rabbit hole of frequent visits to Retro Video Game stores to collect some memories.  Looking forward to firmware updates to tighten up some of these loose ends.  

image.thumb.jpeg.3e74068a89cbd734440416e1d991b94f.jpeg

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

I have a VCR/DVD combo hooked up to my TV.  Combo players are good because you get the best of both in one device.

I did away with all of my VHS taped years ago. Sometimes, that makes me sad. I had some good stuff on tape. Though, I've made up for it with a large DVD and blu-ray collection. But, sometimes, I miss the technology of my youth. That's why you guys are smart for getting those combo players. As you say, it's the best of both worlds.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 8:26 PM, Bitsized said:

Here is my contribution to "in the wild" and finer (vinyl) things in life.

More thoughts on the experience:

This is a small gaming monitor I purchased for the purposes of wall mounting in a small space.  I agree with what @Brad_from_the_80s said about the image on a modern monitor, it's dynamic and feels like "how it was always meant to be".  It feels like the image outputting tech has finally caught up with Atari.  HA!

Thoughts on the joystick Old vs. New:  I love that there is a new joystick. I've been playing the shit out of jr. pacman and ms. pacman, and I find the  playing these games with an older worn in stick much easier; better corners, pivits and turns are taken with the looser joystick.  Though, sometimes I use the newer stick on jr. pacman to help "loosen it up". Though it will likely take a few years.  Also, I notice with the new stick if I'm trying to cut a quick corner to escape Blinky, then jr. gets "stuck" and I have to jostle the stick to get him to move again, it doesn't happen as much with the older joystick.  I bought the Retro Game Boyz 7800 controller and it's butter.  Real nice control with that one.  

There are my thoughts for this week.  I'm loving the hell out of this device and it has propelled me into a rabbit hole of frequent visits to Retro Video Game stores to collect some memories.  Looking forward to firmware updates to tighten up some of these loose ends.  

image.thumb.jpeg.3e74068a89cbd734440416e1d991b94f.jpeg

I love this set up! Vinyl is the perfect 2600+ analogy. Analog-y pun intended. 🙂

• Like 1

So here’s my ”In the Wild” contribution, photo taken from the sofa approx 2m from the TV. 2600+ comes out to sit on a foot rest or wee glass table I use as a “coffee table” that’s normally off to the side and where I can rest the joystick rubber feet if need be. You can also see my PS5 with a clear purple case mod, Arcade 1up Couchcade (still need to get some grease to try to fix the trackball action in the controlller), Evercade VS, Wii U and two Wiis: one PAL that I use like a GameCube and a Japanese one.

Also attaching a photo of the left-hand storage units with my Quarter Arcade Machines, Evercade carts and Atari carts (and yes, before anyone asks I live alone 😅).

IMG_0306.jpeg

IMG_0307.jpeg

Edited by Sean_1970
  • Like 8

Here's mine all hooked up and replaying one of my "near escapes" from the fairly mediocre game of Food Fight I played just before this. (I didn't even hit 200k points 🙄) My setup is my PS5 (barely seen up top left because of how big it is and not wanting to put it on the floor to collect cat hair) on HDMI 1, the XBOX Series S just above the 2600+ on HDMI 2 and the 2600+, Switch, VCS, XBOX 360 and an Old Skool Classiq 3 (plays NES, SNES and Genesis) behind the closed door on HDMI 3, thanks to a 5 port HDMI switch. And, my PS2 is also behind the closed door, waiting for me to figure out which box I put my component cables and power supply in when I moved a couple months ago.

20231211_230100.thumb.jpg.5f97a67f22636301b80609426f2c99b5.jpg

Edited by scifidude79
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, scifidude79 said:

Here's mine all hooked up and replaying one of my "near escapes" from the fairly mediocre game of Food Fight I played just before this. (I didn't even hit 200k points 🙄) My setup is my PS5 (barely seen up top left because of how big it is and not wanting to put it on the floor to collect cat hair) on HDMI 1, the XBOX Series S just above the 2600+ on HDMI 2 and the 2600+, Switch, VCS, XBOX 360 and an Old Skool Classiq 3 (plays NES, SNES and Genesis) behind the closed door on HDMI 3, thanks to a 5 port HDMI switch. And, my PS2 is also behind the closed door, waiting for me to figure out which box I put my component cables and power supply in when I moved a couple months ago.

20231211_230100.thumb.jpg.5f97a67f22636301b80609426f2c99b5.jpg

I love the Batmobiles too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/10/2023 at 9:13 PM, Dr Karnov said:

If anyone has any specific games they want to see running in 1080p, let me know and I'll post something if I have the cart 

Do you have Midnight Mutants 7800 PAL?

Yesterday I realized some bad flicker when I walk sidewards in front of the Mansion. I expect it to be a glitch from emulation (which might hit the NTSC version as well).

Need to compare it with real HW but don't remeber this flicker at all....

20231031_195422.jpg

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Yesterday I realized some bad flicker when I walk sidewards in front of the Mansion. I expect it to be a glitch from emulation (which might hit the NTSC version as well).

20231031_195422.jpg

I do have PAL Midnight Mutants. I'll check later and post my results 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

20231031_195422.jpg

Midnight Mutants PAL, in 50hz 1080p on beta firmware:

• Like 1

I've kind of already touched on what I love about the console in the pre-order thread, so I thought I'd share some photos and additional thoughts here.

The visual fidelity cannot be overstated.  Here's are two photos comparing RF output on a 7800 to HDMI output on a 2600+.

Adventure running on the 7800 via RF.Adventure running on the 2600 Plus via HDMI.

You can't see or easily access the dip switches once a cartridge is plugged in.  They should probably be moved to the front or top of the cartridge.

An overhead view of the 4-in-1 cart showing how difficult it is to access the dip switches.

That said, I still freaking love the dip switches.  Hot-swapping my cartridges feels wrong but flipping switches feels right!

One more photo:

BoxDesignFlaw.thumb.jpeg.ededeb9fb49efd07fd5a3cb8d1e17157.jpeg

The cartridge needs to sit lower inside of the box.  The tab for the box keeps getting caught on the sleeve causing it to bend and wear.

And some more thoughts:

I love that the HDMI cable comes with dust covers.  I love whoever decided that.  We can be friends.  However, I will gladly forsake them if it means we can have a power adapter.  I'd prefer an Atari-branded one, but I'll totally settle for a simple black one.  Nobody likes it when batteries are excluded so why is a missing plug okay?

I would gladly pay $5 more per cartridge if it means having a manual, especially a color manual.  Failing that, someone had made a suggestion of including a QR code on the back of the cartridge sleeve that links to an online manual.  I think this is an excellent compromise.  I realize there's not a whole of room on the back of the multi-cart sleeves, however.  (Maybe you could print it on the back of box or throw in some kind of simple insert?)

This is just a weird observation but going back to the cartridge sleeves, the multi-cart sleeves have four languages printed on the back but the box for the 4-in-1 cartridge pack only has 3.  (I'm guessing the sleeves are used in more regions than North America but the boxes aren't?)

I genuinely thought there was an issue with paddle input for Night Driver, but the game seems to play just as terribly on an actual 2600. :D  I suppose it could be the new paddles but I kind of doubt it since the other games in the 4-in-1 pack play just fine.  That said, I do still notice a difference between the 2600 and the Plus.  Paddle movement's jerkier on the 2600+, but it's nothing I can't work with.

And that's it for now!

• Like 3

The whole power brick thing is interesting to me. I find it very interesting that so many people are bothered by it, when cellphones don't come with them anymore and haven't for a few years now. The first cellphone maker to do it was Apple, then the others followed suit. The Samsung I got over the summer doesn't have a power brick. The argument is that, when people get them each time with a new phone, they're getting redundant parts that are just going to wind up in landfills. I don't know if other companies like Atari are using the same logic. I guess they figure that people already have them, or will just plug the provided USB cord into their TV. Also, a lot of modern surge protectors/power strips have USB built right into them, making the bricks redundant. It doesn't, however, save companies as much money as people think it does. The USB and HDMI cables probably account for the tiniest bit of the cost of the 2600+, a wall brick would account for a tiny bit more.

I personally just used the included USB cable and plugged mine into my TV. It works great.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, scifidude79 said:

The whole power brick thing is interesting to me. ....

I personally just used the included USB cable and plugged mine into my TV. It works great.

I absolutely agree.  I use an old Samsung phone charger...  from an old A51 I no longer use because I bought a Samsung S22 - which also did not come with a charger.  That, and I have about 10 such chargers kicking around my house now.

I agree with the criticisms about manuals however.  When you spend $30+ on a games, I'd rather they skip the sleeve, which is a nicety, and include a brief instruction sheet with switch settings, which is vital.

I really like the pics of Adventure showing the difference between RF and HDMI.  A couple of times I've seen posters asking why someone wants a 2600+ when they already have an old 2600... Those pics tell the story.

• Like 3