IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Unboxing Experiences

tradyblix

48 minutes ago, ls650 said:

I absolutely agree.  I use an old Samsung phone charger...  from an old A51 I no longer use because I bought a Samsung S22 - which also did not come with a charger.  That, and I have about 10 such chargers kicking around my house now.

I probably have about 20 of them myself. For a while, I was heavy into clone consoles and a lot of them are powered by USB mini and come with the wall bricks. Then there's the NES, SNES, C64 and Genesis minis. Plus, I still have most of the ones that came with older phones and tablets. Suffice to say, I have more power bricks than I do stuff to use them with.

48 minutes ago, ls650 said:

I agree with the criticisms about manuals however.  When you spend $30+ on a games, I'd rather they skip the sleeve, which is a nicety, and include a brief instruction sheet with switch settings, which is vital.

Yeah, I agree on the missing manuals as well. I realize a lot of used games are sold cartridge only, but the brand new ones could at least include the manual. Manuals not only gave you important instructions, but also often included the back stories in games where having any story on the cartridge wasn't possible. That's one nice thing about Evercade, you get those nice little books.

I was watching a video on YouTube last night where a guy who is a tech expert was comparing two gaming computers, one was an ASUS he bought from Best Buy, the other was a no brand computer he bought from AliExpress. He actually praised the AliExpress system for having a nice setup sheet with actual pictures, and was less nice about the ASUS system with just a sheet with a lot of small text on it. That's one thing that was nice to see with the 2600+, it had a nice setup sheet with it. No, I didn't need the instructions, but someone else might have, so it was nice to see.

Another thing I hate is the modern trend of online instructions. They'll give you a website or, even worse, a QR code to scan to get your instructions. With the website, that can work until they purge manuals over a certain age or the website doesn't exist anymore. I've seen ones where it was a QR code to a YouTube channel that no longer exists. 🙄 Also, the only thing I have that will scan QR codes is my phone. I've tried on my tablet and the camera isn't high enough quality. So, I have to get the instructions and try to see them on a 6.7" screen, or send them to another device to see them at a size that's more comfortable for someone in their mid forties. Either way, it's a hassle that could be solved by being less lazy and printing some instructions.

Edited by scifidude79
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, KainXavier said:

The cartridge needs to sit lower inside of the box.  The tab for the box keeps getting caught on the sleeve causing it to bend and wear.

I agree.  It should sit at the center of the box.  Also, the box is somewhat big.  It should be a little smaller.  It's kind of weird having such a large box and the cart is at the top when opening it.  I never owned a 2600 boxed game before. I have the Berzerk enhanced.  Still, it's nice to have a box though.

• Like 1

I just received Mr. Run & Jump and Berzerk Enhanced, and I don’t like much about the packaging. Even at first glance the box looks cheap and flimsy. My Mr. Run & Jump box arrived crushed on the bottom despite being packed well by Amazon. The damage, I suspect, is from the shrink wrap squeezing the flimsy paper box rather than from any mishandling. 
Putting these carts in these huge boxes is silly. I mean, I understand what Atari is trying to do. But it doesn’t work. Unless you’re going to include a manual, it’s just a waste of money. 
The “sleeves” the carts come in, however, are great. This is all the box we need. Use the cost savings to include a collectible playing-card with each cart that has instructions, game variations, etc.

Edited by Redjac
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, KainXavier said:

I've kind of already touched on what I love about the console in the pre-order thread, so I thought I'd share some photos and additional thoughts here.

The visual fidelity cannot be overstated.  Here's are two photos comparing RF output on a 7800 to HDMI output on a 2600+.

Adventure running on the 7800 via RF.Adventure running on the 2600 Plus via HDMI.

You can't see or easily access the dip switches once a cartridge is plugged in.  They should probably be moved to the front or top of the cartridge.

An overhead view of the 4-in-1 cart showing how difficult it is to access the dip switches.

That said, I still freaking love the dip switches.  Hot-swapping my cartridges feels wrong but flipping switches feels right!

One more photo:

BoxDesignFlaw.thumb.jpeg.ededeb9fb49efd07fd5a3cb8d1e17157.jpeg

The cartridge needs to sit lower inside of the box.  The tab for the box keeps getting caught on the sleeve causing it to bend and wear.

And some more thoughts:

I love that the HDMI cable comes with dust covers.  I love whoever decided that.  We can be friends.  However, I will gladly forsake them if it means we can have a power adapter.  I'd prefer an Atari-branded one, but I'll totally settle for a simple black one.  Nobody likes it when batteries are excluded so why is a missing plug okay?

I would gladly pay $5 more per cartridge if it means having a manual, especially a color manual.  Failing that, someone had made a suggestion of including a QR code on the back of the cartridge sleeve that links to an online manual.  I think this is an excellent compromise.  I realize there's not a whole of room on the back of the multi-cart sleeves, however.  (Maybe you could print it on the back of box or throw in some kind of simple insert?)

This is just a weird observation but going back to the cartridge sleeves, the multi-cart sleeves have four languages printed on the back but the box for the 4-in-1 cartridge pack only has 3.  (I'm guessing the sleeves are used in more regions than North America but the boxes aren't?)

I genuinely thought there was an issue with paddle input for Night Driver, but the game seems to play just as terribly on an actual 2600. :D  I suppose it could be the new paddles but I kind of doubt it since the other games in the 4-in-1 pack play just fine.  That said, I do still notice a difference between the 2600 and the Plus.  Paddle movement's jerkier on the 2600+, but it's nothing I can't work with.

And that's it for now!

Visual fidelity is one of my favourite aspects of the machine. Soon as I saw it on a 65 inch oled, I knew it was a winner. Even better in an update I'm testing at the moment where the display output has been upgraded to 1080p, even sharper.

There are cost implications to moving the dip switches to the top of the cartridge and aesthetically I didnt want to have them on the front interfering with the label. 

Yeah, I get the tab getting caught on the sleeve, but the box is same construction as from back in the day, the cutting guide for the 2600+ cart boxes was based on the box of Ataris last 2600 release - a red label Klax. Anyway your problem can be solved by putting the slipcase back in the other way around (bottom up), tab doesnt catch that way.

Power adapter - would you buy a Atari branded one for $20USD? Even if you said yeah, I know the numbers and just think the order volumes would be so small, it would not be worth bothering. I could be wrong though.

I've been taken through the ringer on instruction manuals enough already 😄 

Nice spot on the languages, slipcase of cartridge is a global print, so all regions have the same. Whereas the game boxes have three designs - US, Europe and Australians. The Australian game boxes are my favorite cause simple one language and have a nicely formatted back of box.

• Like 4

I like the fact that the boxes are the same design as the original. They do tend to crush a bit at the bottom though when sent in the post without additional protection.

I'm hoping to buy more original boxed cartridges, so they'll look good all sitting together on the shelf.

This is the back of the Australian box referred to by Ben above (also sold here in New Zealand):

image.thumb.jpeg.b53ebd3edb2e5c63f774942514510342.jpeg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

I agree.  It should sit at the center of the box.  Also, the box is somewhat big.  It should be a little smaller.  It's kind of weird having such a large box and the cart is at the top when opening it.  I never owned a 2600 boxed game before. I have the Berzerk enhanced.  Still, it's nice to have a box though.

Well they are the same size as the old ones, but yeah even if they had manuals (😬) it’s still bigger than it needs to be. I suspect it had something to do with fitting whatever shop display units were used in record stores and such back in the day. Although I can recall one pure-play shop that mainly seemed to sell VCS with loads of hands-on setups that we treated like a free arcade, mainly I remember record stores selling them. In fact I’m pretty sure I bought Yars Revenge from the Tower Records in Campbell, California…

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

Still don't understand why people are so concerned about power bricks when you just plug it into the TV but whatever

I use my TV's usb for something else, but I just stuck one of these converter doo-dads on the end of the AtGames micro usb adapter I already use for every other mini console.  Provides 5V 1A

image.thumb.jpeg.2d37f390e2146841da935157d8dcd7f2.jpeg

2 hours ago, Sean_1970 said:

Well they are the same size as the old ones, but yeah even if they had manuals (😬) it’s still bigger than it needs to be. I suspect it had something to do with fitting whatever shop display units were used in record stores and such back in the day. Although I can recall one pure-play shop that mainly seemed to sell VCS with loads of hands-on setups that we treated like a free arcade, mainly I remember record stores selling them. In fact I’m pretty sure I bought Yars Revenge from the Tower Records in Campbell, California…

The box size may have also had something to do with being more difficult for people to leave the store with one in their pocket. That's the reason behind a lot of smaller things coming in larger packages, attempting to make them harder to conceal.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, scifidude79 said:

The whole power brick thing is interesting to me. I find it very interesting that so many people are bothered by it, when cellphones don't come with them anymore and haven't for a few years now. The first cellphone maker to do it was Apple, then the others followed suit. The Samsung I got over the summer doesn't have a power brick. The argument is that, when people get them each time with a new phone, they're getting redundant parts that are just going to wind up in landfills. I don't know if other companies like Atari are using the same logic. I guess they figure that people already have them, or will just plug the provided USB cord into their TV. Also, a lot of modern surge protectors/power strips have USB built right into them, making the bricks redundant. It doesn't, however, save companies as much money as people think it does. The USB and HDMI cables probably account for the tiniest bit of the cost of the 2600+, a wall brick would account for a tiny bit more.

I personally just used the included USB cable and plugged mine into my TV. It works great.

Just because something has become common place doesn't mean it's acceptable.  I very much doubt Apple is actually concerned about e-waste as they have been stripping parts and features from their phones for years.  First it was the earbuds, then it was the power adapter, next was the headphone jack, and most recently, the home button.  It wouldn't surprise me if the volume buttons are removed next.

Also, I don't actually have any spare power adapters.  I've been having to juggle using my phone charger to charge my phone, my tablet, and my Analogue Pocket.  I also use my Kindle plug to recharge the batteries for all of my controllers and remotes.  Any extra adapters I've had have since gone to family members who needed one since whatever new device they've purchased didn't come with one.

Similarly, I don't have any surge protectors with USB ports.  Many of the ones I own predate the iPhone, and there hasn't been a need to replace them.

Lastly, I only own one television with a USB port, and it's really just meant for firmware updates.  I had to set up a Roku stick for a family member, and the port doesn't even generate enough power for that.

So yeah, I had to buy an AC adapter just for the 2600+, which is annoying.  Given the choice, I would have preferred a power adapter over an HDMI cable, but given the cost, I really feel both should have been included.

That said, I will shut up about (and even defend) the lack of a power adapter if it means we'll start getting printed manuals for games at no extra cost.  (And I'm still unreasonably psyched about the HDMI dust covers.)

12 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Visual fidelity is one of my favourite aspects of the machine. Soon as I saw it on a 65 inch oled, I knew it was a winner. Even better in an update I'm testing at the moment where the display output has been upgraded to 1080p, even sharper.

There are cost implications to moving the dip switches to the top of the cartridge and aesthetically I didnt want to have them on the front interfering with the label. 

Yeah, I get the tab getting caught on the sleeve, but the box is same construction as from back in the day, the cutting guide for the 2600+ cart boxes was based on the box of Ataris last 2600 release - a red label Klax. Anyway your problem can be solved by putting the slipcase back in the other way around (bottom up), tab doesnt catch that way.

Power adapter - would you buy a Atari branded one for $20USD? Even if you said yeah, I know the numbers and just think the order volumes would be so small, it would not be worth bothering. I could be wrong though.

I've been taken through the ringer on instruction manuals enough already 😄 

Nice spot on the languages, slipcase of cartridge is a global print, so all regions have the same. Whereas the game boxes have three designs - US, Europe and Australians. The Australian game boxes are my favorite cause simple one language and have a nicely formatted back of box.

I'm really looking forward to the update.  Thank you and your team for all of your hard work!  (That includes you too, Albert!)

Also, I can live with the dip switches remaining on the back of the cartridge.  I have to sit closer to the console anyway to be able to reach the reset and select switches.

Regarding the box tab, I didn't realize the Klax box was set up the same way.  The only complete in box game I own, besides the new ones, is Defender II and the cartridge sits lower and off to the side.  The current box design really isn't a deal breaker for me.  I only pointed it out, along with the dip switches, because I can tell just how much you care about design.

As for the power adapter, I wouldn't spend $20 on it, but I could be persuaded to spend that or more if it's bundled with something else.  Maybe some kind of starter or essentials pack that comes with a game, a controller, and an Atari-branded power adapter?  Or throw it in with the 5200 cartridge adapter if that ever becomes a thing. 😛

And I'll be content without an official power adapter if it means we'll start getting those instruction manuals. 😜

Regarding the game boxes, you've piqued my interest, and I may actually try to buy an Australian copy of a game in the future since they're all NTSC anyway.  (I suspect you'll have a lot of collectors double-dipping now too!)

Lastly, thank you for taking the time to reply to my post!  I know you must be busy.

Edit:

@infinite.pies Thank you for the photo of the Australian box art!  I meant to include you in the multi-quote.

Edited by KainXavier
Revised multi-quote.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, KainXavier said:

Just because something has become common place doesn't mean it's acceptable.  I very much doubt Apple is actually concerned about e-waste as they have been stripping parts and features from their phones for years.  First it was the earbuds, then it was the power adapter, next was the headphone jack, and most recently, the home button.  It wouldn't surprise me if the volume buttons are removed next.

Also, I don't actually have any spare power adapters.  I've been having to juggle using my phone charger to charge my phone, my tablet, and my Analogue Pocket.  I also use my Kindle plug to recharge the batteries for all of my controllers and remotes.  Any extra adapters I've had have since gone to family members who needed one since whatever new device they've purchased didn't come with one.

Similarly, I don't have any surge protectors with USB ports.  Many of the ones I own predate the iPhone, and there hasn't been a need to replace them.

Lastly, I only own one television with a USB port, and it's really just meant for firmware updates.  I had to set up a Roku stick for a family member, and the port doesn't even generate enough power for that.

So yeah, I had to buy an AC adapter just for the 2600+, which is annoying.  Given the choice, I would have preferred a power adapter over an HDMI cable, but given the cost, I really feel both should have been included.

That said, I will shut up about (and even defend) the lack of a power adapter if it means we'll start getting printed manuals for games at no extra cost.  (And I'm still unreasonably psyched about the HDMI dust covers.)

If you had to buy one just to use the console, that's a different matter. But, here's the thing. I know not everyone complaining about it had to buy one. Many of them just wanted something to complain about. But, you have a legitimate reason to be unhappy about it.

That said, I actually do agree that for $130 they could have included all hookups you need so that you don't have to get anything extra. Hell, for half that they should have included everything. I've bought $20 clone Nintendo consoles that come with everything, including power adapters. So, they're obviously not expensive. Nor are HDMI cables anymore. I remember having to buy one for my XBOX 360 because my console is HDMI ready but it only came with component cables. That was when the HDMI cables were really expensive. Now they're dirt cheap and I'm swimming in those too. But, someone else might not be. They might have just enough, like you do with power bricks, so including everything is what they should have done. It's just something that manufacturers these days do. They use the ease of USB to make it seem like everyone has as many of those as I do, so they don't need more. Back when it was a brick with a variable voltage and the specific plug to go into the thing you need (of 50 possible sizes) they always included power adapters. But, so much stuff runs on 5V anymore, that companies like Apple were like "here's how we can save an extra two cents per phone." The first company I can remember doing it was Amazon. You could get a cheap e-reader from them and a USB cable, but no wall adapter. So, when I ordered my first Kindle, I had to buy one because I didn't have a bunch of them back then. Then they don't include them on the Fire TV sticks, which don't work right running off of the TV's USB, so you actually need the wall adapter. So, no, it's not to prevent e-waste, that's just the excuse companies like Apple use. They just want you to buy one from them. I don't know if you use Apple or know about their prices, but their accessory prices are outrageous. I'm sure an Apple power brick is way more than a lot of other power bricks. But there are people that will buy the Apple specific one because Apple will also lie and say you run the risk of damaging your phone by using another one. 🙄

The HDMI dust covers are definitely nice to see. I've seen them before, but few and far between, because those are definitely more rare.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scifidude79 said:

If you had to buy one just to use the console, that's a different matter. But, here's the thing. I know not everyone complaining about it had to buy one. Many of them just wanted something to complain about. But, you have a legitimate reason to be unhappy about it.

That said, I actually do agree that for $130 they could have included all hookups you need so that you don't have to get anything extra. Hell, for half that they should have included everything. I've bought $20 clone Nintendo consoles that come with everything, including power adapters. So, they're obviously not expensive. Nor are HDMI cables anymore. I remember having to buy one for my XBOX 360 because my console is HDMI ready but it only came with component cables. That was when the HDMI cables were really expensive. Now they're dirt cheap and I'm swimming in those too. But, someone else might not be. They might have just enough, like you do with power bricks, so including everything is what they should have done. It's just something that manufacturers these days do. They use the ease of USB to make it seem like everyone has as many of those as I do, so they don't need more. Back when it was a brick with a variable voltage and the specific plug to go into the thing you need (of 50 possible sizes) they always included power adapters. But, so much stuff runs on 5V anymore, that companies like Apple were like "here's how we can save an extra two cents per phone." The first company I can remember doing it was Amazon. You could get a cheap e-reader from them and a USB cable, but no wall adapter. So, when I ordered my first Kindle, I had to buy one because I didn't have a bunch of them back then. Then they don't include them on the Fire TV sticks, which don't work right running off of the TV's USB, so you actually need the wall adapter. So, no, it's not to prevent e-waste, that's just the excuse companies like Apple use. They just want you to buy one from them. I don't know if you use Apple or know about their prices, but their accessory prices are outrageous. I'm sure an Apple power brick is way more than a lot of other power bricks. But there are people that will buy the Apple specific one because Apple will also lie and say you run the risk of damaging your phone by using another one. 🙄

The HDMI dust covers are definitely nice to see. I've seen them before, but few and far between, because those are definitely more rare.

Depressing to read comparisons to $20 nes clones. Wow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Depressing to read comparisons to $20 nes clones. Wow.

Yes, but it's the truth.

Screenshot(69).thumb.png.70322c342603127cfb5f8338b50c6b1a.png

I deleted sensitive information.

This one is HD. It was $30 and it came with a power brick. I think it was their non HD version, which isn't available anymore and isn't showing up in my order history as a result, that was either $20 or $25.

Though, this is only a comparison on including or not including a power brick. In every other metric, the 2600+ is a superior product than a cheap NES clone. I would never have paid the amount I did for the 2600+ for one of those things.

15 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

I use my TV's usb for something else, but I just stuck one of these converter doo-dads on the end of the AtGames micro usb adapter I already use for every other mini console.  Provides 5V 1A

image.thumb.jpeg.2d37f390e2146841da935157d8dcd7f2.jpeg

I don't quite understand. How would this help the USB C power situation on the 2600+ ? Adapters ? What are these ?

Edited by tradyblix

2 hours ago, tradyblix said:

I don't quite understand. How would this help the USB C power situation on the 2600+ ? Adapters ? What are these ?

Yeah, it's just a little adapter, about an inch long.  Female micro usb to male usb c, just to pass the 5V through.  Since virtually all of the other mini consoles are still on micro usb, I have a single power connection where I swap them out and with this adapter I can do the same with the 2600+

Edited by Brad_from_the_80s
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Yeah, it's just a little adapter, about an inch long.  Female micro usb to male usb c, just to pass the 5V through.  Since virtually all of the other mini consoles are still on micro usb, I have a single power connection where I swap them out and with this adapter I can do the same with the 2600+

Oh, okay. 

Anyway this whole thing is super easily solvable and everyone acts like it's a major issue, lol. cracks me up

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

Some devices don’t even come with a cable, much less one that has custom logos 🤷‍♂️

I prefer mains-powered hubs that can deliver charging level voltages myself as I only have two plugs near my TV and both have multi-gang surge protectors; one of which has five USB-A ports. Those might be enough, but given I have four types of bloody cables needed to recharge various things, only one or two gets a dedicated device. The EU should have made their move twenty years ago. I hardly see the point of a standard port now; especially when there’s no standard on the actual cables 🙄

I'm happy with my new 2600+ and plan to post my own unboxing notes later, but one thing I was curious about...

Is it just mine, or does everyone else's 2600+ take about 14 seconds to load a game? That's pretty pokey compared to the 0-second load time of the original system, so I was surprised that no one in this thread has mentioned it (apologies if I missed it.)

I understand why it would be slower (cartridge dumping, etc.) but I haven't seen anyone commenting on it, so I was wondering if mine was slower than other folks'.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, e1will said:

Is it just mine, or does everyone else's 2600+ take about 14 seconds to load a game? That's pretty pokey compared to the 0-second load time of the original system, so I was surprised that no one in this thread has mentioned it (apologies if I missed it.)

That's normal. Like you said, it's due to the technology. I guess none of the rest of us are bothered by it. Especially those of us who play modern games, where a 14 second load time is really short.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 5:22 PM, Redjac said:

I just received Mr. Run & Jump and Berzerk Enhanced, and I don’t like much about the packaging. Even at first glance the box looks cheap and flimsy. My Mr. Run & Jump box arrived crushed on the bottom despite being packed well by Amazon. The damage, I suspect, is from the shrink wrap squeezing the flimsy paper box rather than from any mishandling. 
Putting these carts in these huge boxes is silly. I mean, I understand what Atari is trying to do. But it doesn’t work. Unless you’re going to include a manual, it’s just a waste of money. 
The “sleeves” the carts come in, however, are great. This is all the box we need. Use the cost savings to include a collectible playing-card with each cart that has instructions, game variations, etc.

Atari did a lot right with the Atari2600+ requirements, but this is one of the BIGGER MISTAKES they made, because they have missed a chance at the target group.

Fact 1: the 1st priority target group for this gadget are people around the age of 50. Those who played the actual hardware back in the day. Those same people are now - for a big part - wealthy people, with higher expectations (and budget) than teenagers, which brings us to fact no 2...

Fact 2: retro games and hardware are bought for a big part because of their EMOTIONAL value (certainly not because of the technology :)). Haptics and supplements are a important part of the buying experience, especially with NEW retro stuff! My point is: there got to be MANUALS! The same applies to the Hardware-Set itself: a manual (and other inserts like stikers) are an extended experience and would have enhanced the buying experience. For cheap added production money. 

Look at Atariage: Al is selling almost all homebrew games these days INCLUDING box and manual. People who buy retro hardware, tend to go for the full experience! And take a look what the people love so far about the 2600+: quality sticks and materials, the haptics, the little details (like the glowing logo and even a detail like the logo on the cable head!).

I hope ATARI learns from this and will extend the contend of future (firmware updated) 2600+ Sets. And I hope, they do enhance the supplements of the games in terms of manuals! By the way: Atari should also stop this "limited quantity" strategy like with the game SAVE MARY. This is contrary to one certain reason why retro-gamers buy NEW retro-stuff: they DO NOT want to chase after scarce goods, not in terms of new stuff at least!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scifidude79 said:

That's normal. Like you said, it's due to the technology. I guess none of the rest of us are bothered by it. Especially those of us who play modern games, where a 14 second load time is really short.

Oh, there's other people who think 14 seconds to load 4 kilobytes is a bit much. There are modern platforms offering instant resume on multiple titles, maybe something like that could be done on the 2600+ with a future firmware update.

5 minutes ago, Zoyous said:

Oh, there's other people who think 14 seconds to load 4 kilobytes is a bit much. There are modern platforms offering instant resume on multiple titles, maybe something like that could be done on the 2600+ with a future firmware update.

It's a bit too long for me, especially when I saw Circus Convoy load.

But I'm not fully sure of technical limitations of both the hardware and software. Having said that @Thomas Jentzsch looked at the sequence of events in the dumper process and said it could be improved for speed.

• Like 1