IGNORED

If practically possible:how many would like to see 1) 2600+ compatibility with Rikki and Vikki 2) Atari doing a run of Rikki and Vikki

Giles N

If practically possible, technologically and financially; how many here would like to see one of the two, of both things mentioned happening in the near or far future: 1) 2600+ compatibility with Rikki and Vikki (a 7800-game, if anyone wouidn’t know) 2)  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want an Atari 2600+ update which enables compatibility with Rikki & Vikki (7800)

2. 2. Do you want Atari to do a run of Rikki & Vikki releases?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, ls650 said:

If the price is more than $50 (plus shipping and any taxes), I'll ask myself if I really want this game, or whether I'd rather buy another more affordable homebrew that I'll also enjoy playing.

All opinions are welcome here.

BTW - Rikki & Vikki is a 7800 homebrew, and no longer in print, but were sold for $59 including shipping if remember correctly.

Thing is - Atari would need to license it for a run, even update firmware to emulate it if the concept would be to give people reasons to buy a 2600+ (and they should have quite a lot of reasons to want to go as far they can with it, meaning that more firmware updates are almost inevitable, - but it may be over some time…), meaning they’d have some costs doing this.

Again, I’m not some walking expert on the economical side of productions and licensing, but it would probably help reaching deep into the NES and SMS-retro crowd (many of the people who buy indie collections for the Evercade etc).

This is a collectors item right now. I have several retro items that I find beautiful that are not for sale. Because I want to keep them. The old demand vs supply.

If there would be a new run for it I would buy one.

If not, I am happy with my $1.99 Steam version. At least I can play it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Giles N said:

Ok, everyone that reads this thread:

In my opening post I asked if you’d comment on whether this would make you buy an 2600+ or recommend to others to get one.

Would like to hear about that.

Would this make you for example buy a 2600+ and R&V as gift item to others?

Would you recommend it to people outside the AA ‘bubble’? For example people mostly collecting for NES, SMS or people who have only occassional retro-game interest…?

Would you buy Rikki & Vikki for:

1) $129

- no

- yes

- perhaps in the future

2) $99

- no

- yes

- perhaps in the future

3) $79

- no

- yes

- perhaps in the future

4) $59

- no

- yes

- perhaps in the future

- - -

In order to get some buyer-willingness-info out there, it’d be nice if you answer these things.

I’d buy it repackaged as an Atari release for their usual $59 in limited edition packaging or $39 in standard packaging.  I don’t think I’d pay more than that and I wouldn’t expect the cart to be as fancy as the first release.

Edit: Oh and I already have a 2600+ coming my way for Christmas.

I’d love to see Atari (re)release other 7800 games too.  I hope they don’t just focus on the 2600.

Edited by insertclevernamehere
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, insertclevernamehere said:

I’d buy it repackaged as an Atari release for their usual $59 in limited edition packaging or $39 in standard packaging.  I don’t think I’d pay more than that and I wouldn’t expect the cart to be as fancy as the first release.

Edit: Oh and I already have a 2600+ coming my way for Christmas.

I’d love to see Atari (re)release other 7800 games too.  I hope they don’t just focus on the 2600.

Thanks for comment on prices!
Have you voted in the poll?

59 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

It isn't like the game is unavailable.

In fact you can buy and play it for $1.99 right now.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/893690/Rikki__Vikki/

And essentially be a PC-gaming experience.

On carts - you could swap between using original 7800s or, - if 2600+ compatibility is secured (… Atari may need it on available on carts for the next 3 years anyway), on the 2600+, which would probably make at least alot of 7800-retrofans buy the 2600+. 

Atari needs for the 2600+ to get as much positive attention it can get, in order for it to make waves among retro-gamers.

The bigger the positive vibe-waves the better.

It will serve the Atari-core gamers interests to have real cart versions available.

And even if doing it isn’t free, it’ll only serve Atari’s own interest both short and long-term, since they have already chosen retro-gaming as a major venue they’ll pursue.

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1