IGNORED

If practically possible:how many would like to see 1) 2600+ compatibility with Rikki and Vikki 2) Atari doing a run of Rikki and Vikki

Giles N

If practically possible, technologically and financially; how many here would like to see one of the two, of both things mentioned happening in the near or far future: 1) 2600+ compatibility with Rikki and Vikki (a 7800-game, if anyone wouidn’t know) 2)  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want an Atari 2600+ update which enables compatibility with Rikki & Vikki (7800)

2. 2. Do you want Atari to do a run of Rikki & Vikki releases?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

If practically possible, technologically and financially; how many here would like to see one of the two, of both things mentioned happening in the near or far future:

1) 2600+ compatibility with Rikki and Vikki (a 7800-game, if anyone wouidn’t know)

2) Atari doing a run of Rikki and Vikki, selling them through the channels used to sell the 2600+

On this note, perhaps say whether or not this would make you buy either such a 2600+ or copy of Rikki & Vikki, or recommend that others do this.

- - -

Not very much more in this thread.

But, would be interesting to see how far the interest concerning this goes here.

You are of course free to use the comment-section to say whatever your opinion is, concerning this topic or add additional thoughts, concerns, perspectives or ideas.

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Giles N said:

If practically possible, technologically and financially; how many here would like to see one of the two, of both things mentioned happening in the near or far future:

1) 2600+ compatibility with Rikki and Vikki (a 7800-game, if anyone wouidn’t know)

2) Atari doing a run of Rikki and Vikki, selling them through the channels used to sell the 2600+

Rikki & Vikki is a true masterpiece, absolutely one of the best 7800 Homebrew Games and would be a killer app for 2600+.

RnV_Complete_7800_VF.jpg.bbcdac0a39ee3dcd0bb97d29049ba57f.thumb.jpg.baa4f4d429cdc16f7d92e9909fe44731.jpg

2019 Atari 7800 Best Homebrew:

1) Rikki & Vikki by PenguiNet "TailChao"

46778117_2019AtariHomebrewAwards-SquareAd-Medium.jpg.1ec0c9d2c4e3e3d1eeff2261ea17b26c.thumb.jpg.eed43921d117bf7eec58964650c626a1.jpg

• Like 1

I'm not a huge platformer person, but this might be one of the greatest 7800 games, and a perfect "modern day" mascot like Sonic and or Mario, but for 2600+/7800 fans.

so yeah would be good idea to do a run of a version that could work with 7800, if such a thing is possible, anyway. I'd buy it. 

"Super Cartridge"  ? lol 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Giles N said:

On this note, perhaps say whether or not this would make you buy either such a 2600+ or copy of Rikki & Vikki, or recommend that others do this.

- - -

Not very much more in this thread.

But, would be interesting to see how far the interest concerning this goes here.

You are of course free to use the comment-section to say whatever your opinion is, concerning this topic or add additional thoughts, concerns, perspectives or ideas.

I hope this happens. One of the reasons I bought a 2600+ was so I could play all the new games made for the old system. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tradyblix said:

Well... It's not very good at that yet lol. Hey I got Juno First running :) 

Hm...

Since AtariAge now belongs to Atari and the 2600+ doesn't play some carts sold by AtariAge which the 2600+ should play, maybe one should ask AtariAge for a working replacement. :) 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

This poll is inherently very biased, so I do not unterstand what is purpose its.

If you want to convince Atari, you should have asked if people would buy R&V from Atari for $$$.

It’s purpose is to check out level of interest for this to happen.

Of course it is limited in scope, since its being posted on here on AA - where most people would like, well, to see quality games happen just for the sake of the content, and perhaps without too many financial concerns.

- - -

Yes, the point about what people would be willing to pay (highest-to-lowest)  is actually a good one.

I had a feeling I should’ve added more questions or options, but all that came to my head as I wrote it was to check interest over time.

10 hours ago, Giles N said:

Ok, everyone that reads this thread:

In my opening post I asked if you’d comment on whether this would make you buy an 2600+ or recommend to others to get one.

Would like to hear about that.

Would this make you for example buy a 2600+ and R&V as gift item to others?

Would you recommend it to people outside the AA ‘bubble’? For example people mostly collecting for NES, SMS or people who have only occassional retro-game interest…?

Would you buy Rikki & Vikki for:

1) $129

- no

- yes

- perhaps in the future

2) $99

- no

- yes

- perhaps in the future

3) $79

- no

- yes

- perhaps in the future

4) $59

- no

- yes

- perhaps in the future

- - -

In order to get some buyer-willingness-info out there, it’d be nice if you answer these things.

Edited by Giles N

9 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

Rikki & Vikki is a true masterpiece, absolutely one of the best 7800 Homebrew Games and would be a killer app for 2600+.

RnV_Complete_7800_VF.jpg.bbcdac0a39ee3dcd0bb97d29049ba57f.thumb.jpg.baa4f4d429cdc16f7d92e9909fe44731.jpg

2019 Atari 7800 Best Homebrew:

1) Rikki & Vikki by PenguiNet "TailChao"

46778117_2019AtariHomebrewAwards-SquareAd-Medium.jpg.1ec0c9d2c4e3e3d1eeff2261ea17b26c.thumb.jpg.eed43921d117bf7eec58964650c626a1.jpg

First bit of gameplay I have ever watched if this, what a sweet looking game!! Honestly I would love to get my hands on this asap but having a 2600+ is one obstacle as it doesn't currently run and being in PAL land will be another as last time I checked AA doesn't ship outside of NA.

1 hour ago, Giles N said:

Would you recommend it to people outside the AA ‘bubble’? For example people mostly collecting for NES, SMS or people who have only occassional retro-game interest…?

This is where most of the support for the game seemed to originate from, rather than AtariAge's typical demographic.

34 minutes ago, Zap1982 said:

First bit of gameplay I have ever watched if this, what a sweet looking game!! Honestly I would love to get my hands on this asap but having a 2600+ is one obstacle as it doesn't currently run and being in PAL land will be another as last time I checked AA doesn't ship outside of NA.

There's also a Windows version available on Steam or through our Humble Widget. It includes the game's ROM and music data which can be played on the MiSTer, LibRetro / RetroArch, and 7800 GameDrive. You can find out more in the FAQ.

Right now the game is on sale for $1.99 on Steam, a little cheaper than buying a $129.99 device which can't run it anyway ;) .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

In my opening post I asked if you’d comment on whether this would make you buy an 2600+ or recommend to others to get one.

1) $129

- no

- yes

- perhaps in the future

2) $99

- no

- yes

- perhaps in the future

3) $79

- no

- yes

- perhaps in the future

4) $59

- no

- yes

- perhaps in the future

- - -

In order to get some buyer-willingness-info out there, it’d be nice if you answer these things.

I bought my 2600+ to get more high quality 7800 homebrew games in the future and to not bother if it is PAL or NTSC, if the colors are wrong, if the screen is shifted with glitches at the bottom,... I want to get rid of my PAL chain ball which I wear since the 80s😉

So I will support this game no matter what, to get something started, to show how good this machine was and is😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

I bought my 2600 Plus already, was an Amazon preorder.

My thoughts, I've not followed the homebrew scene so I am enjoying catching up with it. This game looks great! I would buy a cartridge so put my name down. 🤟🏻

What would you be willing to pay for a copy?

$ 129

$  99

$  79

$  59

?

28 minutes ago, TailChao said:

Right now the game is on sale for $1.99 on Steam, a little cheaper than buying a $129.99 device which can't run it anyway ;)

It is cheaper.

But for many people, it is much more satisfying to play retro games on carts on hardware units.

Guess its part of the retro-thing (for those types of people).

And it could help push the 2600+ outside the (same) core buyer-group that Atari mostly sell stuff to.

For companies its also important (over time) to do things that can expand their business, getting new people interested.

With this, perhaps hook some NES and SMS (etc) collectors, and get them to also collect and buy Atari-related retro-stuff.

That could make them get an interest in checking out the Recharged series etc.

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1

What would you be willing to pay for a copy?

$ 129

$  99

$  79

$  59

?

The original release cost $59.99 plus shipping, and included a sturdy box, cartridge, and Misery Land tour guide with two complimentary tickets. So I think a reprint shouldn't cost more than $59.99.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Defender_2600 said:

The original release cost $59.99 plus shipping, and included a sturdy box, cartridge, and Misery Land tour guide with two complimentary tickets. So I think a reprint shouldn't cost more than $59.99.

Well, you have several things in this:

Ataris’ need for making money after having licensed it.

That buyers don’t find the price incredulously high…

As I think I’m beginning to pick up on, is that the economic realities behind this must be somewhat realistic. 

It would cost Atari something to get the necessary firmware-updates (even though firmware-updates to some level is already in the process, and realistically it was also almost-inevitable), and it would also cost something to license and then the production-run.

Perhaps, a normal cart for $79 and a collectors edition for $159 would be more realistic…

Edited by Giles N

31 minutes ago, Giles N said:

Well, you have several things in this:

Ataris’ need for making money after having licensed it.

That buyers don’t find the price incredulously high…

As I think I’m beginning to pick up on, is that the economic realities behind this must be somewhat realistic. 

It would cost Atari something to get the necessary firmware-updates (even though firmware-updates to some level is already in the process, and realistically it was also almost-inevitable), and it would also cost something to license and then the production-run.

Perhaps, a normal cart for $79 and a collectors edition for $159 would be more realistic…

$59.99 would be in line with that of Retro-Bit® Publishing, and approximately triple that of Evercade cartridges. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Giles N said:

1) $129

- no

- yes

- perhaps in the future

2) $99

- no

- yes

- perhaps in the future

3) $79S   - no

- yes

- perhaps in the future

4) $59

- no

- yes

- perhaps in the future

- - -

In order to appeal to the widest audience the prices have to be lower than the price point of todays AAA games on playstation and xbox. 

In my opinion, 29.99 for 2600 level games and no more than 49.99 for 7800 level games. maybe 59 for something like Rikki and Vikki. 

But people aren't gonna want to pay 129 dollars for it. Not a single game. other than enthusiasts. Not in this economic environment. It is a retro-game after all. 

Let's not forget people can get em all free online if they *really* want. You have to keep the prices under control to appeal to folks. 

• Like 4

@Defender_2600

@tradyblix

Ok, I see your points.

I was using ‘Circus Convoy’ (a ‘modern retro-game’ for the 2600) as a reference point.

I admittedly have not all the world of knowledge about production and licensing costs, how deals work and all that. 
Personally I’m more into what makes for a good game(design), so I want to hear peoples opinions here.

Circus Convoy is sold as standard version $60 and then 2 expensive deluxe versions. 

Atari themselves sell

(…unless they’re out of stock now..) collectors editions of really, really old 2600 games for quite a high price.

Without a reasonably priced standard version I think it may come of as having little promotional value (for the 2600+ and Atari game-release news)  

But with a reasonably priced, easy-to-obtain standard version, and deluxe and collectors editions for higher prices it may actually feel like some ‘happening’. (Yes, I’m imagining stuffed, teddy-Rikki and Vikkis and all that 😄, not so sure that ever will happen, buts its how my mind works, …’’works’’…)

Edited by Giles N

I'll be frank here: I think even $59 is a lot to ask for a 7800 game, no matter how good or enjoyable it might be.  There are plenty of great homebrew games out there.  If the price is more than $50 (plus shipping and any taxes), I'll ask myself if I really want this game, or whether I'd rather buy another more affordable homebrew that I'll also enjoy playing.

• Like 3

Here are 2 examples of prices for different editions (not saying they’re right or wrong, just giving examples):

IMG_7293.thumb.jpeg.53a9be814976be893566e629f1ac0322.jpegIMG_7294.thumb.jpeg.b49d255c2535c37e03fe55c21ace52eb.jpeg

So the price ranges from $49 for a standard edition of Saboteur, to $60 for standard version of Circus Convoy and all the way up to $140 and $149 for collectors and limited editions.

What people here would think reasonable prices for a run of Rikki and Vikki: I’m all ears folks…

Edited by Giles N