IGNORED

Wizard of War Compatibility

techntools

4 hours ago, techntools said:

Wow that is a fact that should have been more publicized…bummer. 

I mean, they don't even run on my emulator on other devices, either. Nor on Harmony cart. 

I personally, this might not be a popular opinion, but I would like devs to focus on compatibility for those games and not "cheat" by adding ARM chips in. 

Yeah I know they technically work on OG hardware, if you still have a CRT setup or room for one, but I've been able to enjoy, or pay for exactly $0 of Champ Games' hard work over the last 5-6 years due to this. 

Meanwhile I'm playing all the classics and some homebrews like Juno First fine. Even on my 2600+

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Most of them (<=32K) should run on Harmony cart.

OK sounds good. I think I tried Penult and it was fine. I know the Turbo demo didn't work. I think I tried that. Then when I was trying to emulate a bunch of Champ Games ones that are desirable to me didn't work (ie the demos from their site). I guess it's really Turbo Arcade that really really appeals to me (not out yet anyhow)

I need to find my harmony cart, I found my old mac that had it's harmony cart driver showing up as a network interface and I want to see if I can flash it since my newer comps can't for some reason. Naturally I lost it in the last 2 days in the mess that is my home

Edited by tradyblix

10 hours ago, tradyblix said:

I personally, this might not be a popular opinion, but I would like devs to focus on compatibility for those games and not "cheat" by adding ARM chips in. 

I probably wasn't gonna say it anywhere, but I kind of feel the same way.  I don't mind people making these games, but they are not to 2600 spec, they "cheat" as it were, with extra hardware.  Now, there is precedent, but still.  People should have tempered expectations for those.  Even so, I'm not certain they will "never" work, given enough time and some clever firmware enhancements.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

I probably wasn't gonna say it anywhere, but I kind of feel the same way.  I don't mind people making these games, but they are not to 2600 spec, they "cheat" as it were, with extra hardware.  Now, there is precedent, but still.  People should have tempered expectations for those.  Even so, I'm not certain they will "never" work, given enough time and some clever firmware enhancements.

The 2600+ is capable of running such games, it just isn't capable of dumping the code used by the extra chips.    There's a couple possible ways to work around that, but they are less than ideal.

I just got my 2600+ a few days ago. Wizard of Wor (NTSC version) was one of the first games I tried and it worked fine (after I realized I needed to switch the game controller over to the right port).

It's a tough game for me, but still good fun. Hopefully I'll get better at it with some more practice. 😊

4 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Hm, usually Stella will do that for you. Maybe you have an unknown ROM?

Could be. I bought the cartridge on Ebay. I never had or played Wizard of Wor on an original Atari 2600 way back in the day, but it is a classic game I recall playing in the arcade (and it was darn tuff then too, haha).

Edited by MysticSword