IGNORED

Pitfall 2 Question

OscarGungan

6 minutes ago, karri said:

Ok. I fully understand your point. So far all my mini-games use only TIA sounds just to allow them to work on a stock 7800 without fancy flash carts. But in order to create enjoyable games you need ram and a decent sound chip. Something like 512k rom, 32k ram and 3 channels sounds plus percussions would be nice. But of course everything needs to be emulated as well in order to run it on the 2600+.

I mean I love talk like this but I need to get the pressing tasks done first, you've seen what I've posted we are working on. In my mind I'm here on AA to get the apex of 2600 7800 enthusiasts on board - not fully complete as of today. The 2600+ aesthetics are right, the hardware is more then capable, the software needs that enthusiast boost - I mean I was reading about a complaint here the other day that the colour of the ghosts on PAL version of PacMan was the wrong shade of pink, initially I thought screw this guy but then on reflection I thought no these are exactly the types of things - if actually true - need addressing. In my conclusion its a relatively finite position to right these wrongs as we just need to as much as possible replicate the original 2600 experience with the machines capabilities as is.

• Like 1

Want to excite the Atari enthusiast collectors?  Instead of re-releasing Outlaw (or similar)... release one of the more rarer games that Atari published in the past... such as:

BMX Airmaster
Asterix
Swordquest: Waterworld
Quadrun
Atari Video Cube
Crazy Climber
Xenophobe
Obelix
Track & Field
Road Runner
Pengo
Gremlins
Sentinel
Off The Wall
MotoRodeo
Ikari Warriors
Taz
Stargate
Sprintmaster
Secret Quest
Radar Lock
Mario Bros.
Krull
Double Dunk
Desert Falcon

Also, include full box size and manual (ALWAYS!)

36 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I need to get the pressing tasks done first

Good point.

Meanwhile... We still have our Xmas jam going on for the next two weeks. So no time for hw hacking before the jam is over. After that I hope to dig into the 2600+.

1 hour ago, Ben from Plaion said:

We are motoring through the current task list for an update. Then I need to look at feasibility of a further update with QOL features like UI with scanlines and savestates. I want get the machine to a best in class machine. Then we can concentrate more on new experiences. The 2600+ is in a good place now 2 weeks after launch. I dont think I'm going anywhere soon and I'm determined today to attempt to satisfy 2600+ owners in the short, medium and long term.

If I may humbly suggest, I for one really don't want a UI/menu getting in my way for a reasonably authentic experience with carts.  Maybe if it were something like "hold Select and Reset and power on to access".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Its a wait and see on both points.

We are motoring through the current task list for an update. Then I need to look at feasibility of a further update with QOL features like UI with scanlines and savestates. I want get the machine to a best in class machine. Then we can concentrate more on new experiences. The 2600+ is in a good place now 2 weeks after launch. I dont think I'm going anywhere soon and I'm determined today to attempt to satisfy 2600+ owners in the short, medium and long term.

This is great news. Atari 2600+ is the only console in my house and I hope we can have some great family gaming nights for the next few years. :) 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JetSetIlly said:

I must confess that the only way I can imagine it working is for the cartridge to cooperate with it's own dumping.

One possibility would be for the console to initiate the dumping with a port-knocking sequence. In other words, there is an agreed protocol that when a cartridge sees a particular (relatively long and unlikely) sequence of bytes on the bus it goes into "dumping mode". Once in dumping mode the cartridge can return the CDFJ (etc.) binary as a stream of bytes. Part of the protocol would be for the console to revert to the regular dumping method if it doesn't receive an initial agreed response from the cartridge.

As I say, the problem with this is that it requires cooperation from the cartridge. Harmony and PlusCart could be updated with new firmware to allow this but preexisting standalone ARM cartridges would be left in the cold. Going forward however, I see potential for newer ARM cartridges to indicate that they are 2600+ compatible on the cartridge livery.

A "mode" similar to what you mention is already baked into all current ARM carts, unless it's explicitly disabled (and as far as I know, none currently disable it.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, batari said:

A "mode" similar to what you mention is already baked into all current ARM carts, unless it's explicitly disabled (and as far as I know, none currently disable it.)

Oh!  That's interesting. I didn't know that. So it is possible to dump binaries from single-use ARM cartridges. How is it activated?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chad5200 said:

Want to excite the Atari enthusiast collectors?  Instead of re-releasing Outlaw (or similar)... release one of the more rarer games that Atari published in the past... such as:

BMX Airmaster
Asterix
Swordquest: Waterworld
Quadrun
Atari Video Cube
Crazy Climber
Xenophobe
Obelix
Track & Field
Road Runner
Pengo
Gremlins
Sentinel
Off The Wall
MotoRodeo
Ikari Warriors
Taz
Stargate
Sprintmaster
Secret Quest
Radar Lock
Mario Bros.
Krull
Double Dunk
Desert Falcon

Also, include full box size and manual (ALWAYS!)

Unfortunately quite a few of those are dependent on 3rd party licenses so Atari will unlikely to re-release the likes of Krull, Mario Bros or Stargate.  

Now releases of the likes like Radar Lock, Sprint Master or AVC I could see them doing.   Or see them go for enhanced editions of existing games (plenty of potential for that with the 1p games)

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, 2LTIME6100 said:

Is there a realistic chance of getting Pitfall 2 to run on the Atari 2600+?
It's my favorite game and it would be nice to hear that the developers are working on finding a solution 🙏

Wow you mean it DOESN'T?? 

Glad I didn't buy the 2600+ then!