IGNORED

Sony msx better then playstation 1?

I like the sony waaay better then the sony playstation 1,

why??

that’s because,

1,the msx does have cool exciting games such as mariobros,pacman,donkeykong,buck roggers and what not,

on the sony playstation you don’t have that,

yes there was a frogger game for it and there was ms pacman maze madness and there was even sega’s MiniMoni. Shakatto Tambourine! Dapyon! for it as well and what not but that’s it,nintendo didn’t had made any games for it,

2,the msx did had instant load times trough it’s cartride port,the playstation did had that,it only used CD’s and so there were sadly no game cartrides for it for it’s expansions slots,

3,the msx did had a keyboard so you could do your business on it or write your own programs for it,and store it on disk or cassette,the playstation doesn’t have that,

4,the msx did supposedly set the standard for computers for decades to come and whether that standard failed or not,they tried it,i hardly could call the playstation to be revolutionary to set the bar for future generation systems ,that’s because before it there was the 3DO,sega saturn,fm marty and CD32,but i have to say once i saw that ps1 demo back in 1995 i was impressed by it,back then i didn’t know about the sega saturn or 3DO etc,,, unrill later afterwards but still,,,

5,the msx could be connected online to a service,the playstation was never designed with that in mind,

etc,,,

and that’s why am proud possessing a sony msx along with cool games for it including pacman,donkeykong and frogger ,it also reminds me of the better days of the 80’s and early 90’s😁

9857376A-F709-473D-9140-B90FCD089B24.jpeg

39CB3D5D-744A-4A8E-B0E4-5D6C83FB2A42.jpeg

Edited by johannesmutlu
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, johannesmutlu said:

I like the sony waaay better then the sony playstation 1,

why??

that’s because,

1,the msx does have cool exciting games such as mariobros,pacman,donkeykong,buck roggers and what not,

on the sony playstation you don’t have that,

yes there was a frogger game for it and there was ms pacman maze madness and there was even sega’s MiniMoni. Shakatto Tambourine! Dapyon! for it as well and what not but that’s it,nintendo didn’t had made any games for it,

2,the msx did had instant load times trough it’s cartride port,the playstation did had that,it only used CD’s and so there were sadly no game cartrides for it for it’s expansions slots,

3,the msx did had a keyboard so you could do your business on it or write your own programs for it,and store it on disk or cassette,the playstation doesn’t have that,

4,the msx did supposedly set the standard for computers for decades to come and whether that standard failed or not,they tried it,i hardly could call the playstation to be revolutionary to set the bar for future generation systems ,that’s because before it there was the 3DO,sega saturn,fm marty and CD32,but i have to say once i saw that ps1 demo back in 1995 i was impressed by it,back then i didn’t know about the sega saturn or 3DO etc,,, unrill later afterwards but still,,,

5,the msx could be connected online to a service,the playstation was never designed with that in mind,

etc,,,

and that’s why am proud possessing a sony msx along with cool games for it including pacman,donkeykong and frogger ,it also reminds me of the better days of the 80’s and early 90’s😁

9857376A-F709-473D-9140-B90FCD089B24.jpeg

39CB3D5D-744A-4A8E-B0E4-5D6C83FB2A42.jpeg

Oh wait,the msx didn’t had a mariobros game,BUT who ever knows could come up with their homebrewed version for it,but still,,,

and yeah the ps1 does use memory cards as a storage medium for stuff in games but that’s it.

20 hours ago, mr_me said:

The original playstation had an excellent selection of classic arcade games.  Midway collections, Williams collection, Namco collection, Atari collection.  Not sure if these are emulated or conversions but they were quite good for the time.

Even the MSX was represented in three compilations on the PS1 in Japan with the Konami Antiques MSX Collection series.  

• Like 2

On 12/2/2023 at 3:51 AM, johannesmutlu said:

For one thing, the MSX standard was thought to be obsolete by the time it was announced. Yes, it was adequate for home computer games, but it definitely not set the standard for decades to come. The IBM PC did however, and one of the driving factors behind the MSX was to create a low-end, 8-bit variant of the PC standard, though without trying to be overly MS-DOS compatible.

The PlayStation on the other hand was groundbreaking at its time. Yes, there were the 3DO, CD32, Sega CD and other CD based consoles but those were 16/32-bit and mostly based on aging hardware. The PS1 introduced polygons (though very square) and wiped most of the earlier CD based consoles off the market. The Saturn arrived a bit later, and was a jumble of different CPUs, almost as complicated as the Atari Jaguar, while Sony went for a clean design.

Basically, it seems a lot of your impressions are the exact opposite to what most other people figure out.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, carlsson said:

For one thing, the MSX standard was thought to be obsolete by the time it was announced. Yes, it was adequate for home computer games, but it definitely not set the standard for decades to come. The IBM PC did however, and one of the driving factors behind the MSX was to create a low-end, 8-bit variant of the PC standard, though without trying to be overly MS-DOS compatible.

The PlayStation on the other hand was groundbreaking at its time. Yes, there were the 3DO, CD32, Sega CD and other CD based consoles but those were 16/32-bit and mostly based on aging hardware. The PS1 introduced polygons (though very square) and wiped most of the earlier CD based consoles off the market. The Saturn arrived a bit later, and was a jumble of different CPUs, almost as complicated as the Atari Jaguar, while Sony went for a clean design.

Basically, it seems a lot of your impressions are the exact opposite to what most other people figure out.

Well what i do technically found very interesting about the ps1 is that it not only uses triangle polygons for 3D graphics but that it also does have a mode for square polygons for 2D games,so (according to a youtuber) rather then using sprites or backgrounds,it uses square polygons instead,this is actually pretty clever and briliant at the same time,as sony wasn’t only thinking forward into the 3th dimension but also thinking about 2D stuff,thus knewing that 2D games were still hot,if sony didn’t implemented such special 2D mode,games such as street fighter 2 or chrono trigger would,ve been possible ( maybe trough software?? But i don’t know about that)

but it’s interesting because if you wanted to port for instance a snes game to the ps1,you generally only need to convert those strites and background tile sets into square polygons to make it work(cpu & apu are similar to that of the snes albeit waaaay more powerful off course),another thing interesting about to ps1 is that the australian version of it could also play video CD’s aside from audio CD’s,so basically the australian ps1 can be actually considered as a true multimedia device,

now i do wonder how the play station would,ve ended up had it been released as a snes CD addon,would it had be the same story of the famicom disksystem or the 64DD addon,we probably would never know☹️

Yeah, the Sega Saturn was between 11 days (Japan) and 4 months (USA) ahead of the PS1, so the technology the PS1 represented was old hat for Saturn owners at the time...

I don't know if the MIPS R3000 in the PS1 has that much in common with the 65816 (or rather the Ricoh variation) in SNES. Perhaps from a higher language you could compile the same sources, but then again you could compile it for the 68K systems (Genesis etc) and others as well.

Actually Wikipedia writes that "although the Saturn's design was largely finished before the end of 1993, reports in early 1994 of the technical capabilities of Sony's upcoming PlayStation console prompted Sega to include another video display processor (VDP) to improve 2D performance and 3D texture mapping", so if it wasn't for the PS1, the Saturn may have been more limited (but released a bit sooner)?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The cool what-if is the timeline where Sony not only manufactures a series of adequate MSX computers, but also leads computer/game development further. At one point before Commodore obtained the shares in the Lorraine project, Amiga tried to interest a number of companies across the world. Probably Atari is the best known one, who had access to the Amiga technology for a brief period of time before Commodore bought it, but many years ago I read that other companies like HP and Sony were offered the technology but weren't interested.

In a fantasy would where Sony would've picked up the Lorraine/Amiga and made their own computer/game system, parallel with the Sharp X68000 as well as the NEC PCs etc, they could have introduced CD-ROM into gaming on their own without having to hustle with Nintendo before releasing the PlayStation. While CD-ROM technology still was quite expensive, there may have been floppy or card/cartridge based PlayStations by 1987-ish with newer systems to follow along the way. Sony would today have been known to have a 40 year continuous history as one of the major video game producers.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, carlsson said:

The cool what-if is the timeline where Sony not only manufactures a series of adequate MSX computers, but also leads computer/game development further. At one point before Commodore obtained the shares in the Lorraine project, Amiga tried to interest a number of companies across the world. Probably Atari is the best known one, who had access to the Amiga technology for a brief period of time before Commodore bought it, but many years ago I read that other companies like HP and Sony were offered the technology but weren't interested.

In a fantasy would where Sony would've picked up the Lorraine/Amiga and made their own computer/game system, parallel with the Sharp X68000 as well as the NEC PCs etc, they could have introduced CD-ROM into gaming on their own without having to hustle with Nintendo before releasing the PlayStation. While CD-ROM technology still was quite expensive, there may have been floppy or card/cartridge based PlayStations by 1987-ish with newer systems to follow along the way. Sony would today have been known to have a 40 year continuous history as one of the major video game producers.

Lot of what-ifs there, but it is always interesting to think about how things could have been different and what its implications would have meant, that's for sure.