IGNORED

Llamasoft: The Jeff Minter Story - new compilation announced!

boog

YOOOOOOOOO!

I was just working on getting some of his roms for the Spectrum, DOS, and Atari 8-bits. Also just bought Moose Life literally last night.

Glad to see Yak get some proper recognition beyond just being "the guy that made Tempest 2000 and Polybius"

Hopefully Jeff can eventually make a Minotaur Collection vol 2 (and free his games from iOS/lost media prison), but can't complain with this.

Edited by Warboss Gegguz
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, KidGameR186496 said:

I do hope Defender 2000 is included on the compilation :D

Looking at the list... unfortunately no. :sad:

Not that it's surprising given it's a Midway/WB IP and they'd have to sign off on it for that to happen.

One of the like 3 times Yak worked with a major publisher, and we're still gonna have to emulate it sadly.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Warboss Gegguz said:

Looking at the list... unfortunately no. :sad:

Not that it's surprising given it's a Midway/WB IP and they'd have to sign off on it for that to happen.

One of the like 3 times Yak worked with a major publisher, and we're still gonna have to emulate it sadly.

Expect that's why there is no Amiga/ST Defender II in there either. 

No Photon Storm either though.. 

Fantastic to see K onix Multi-System

Attack of the Mutant Camels '89

included though. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lostdragon said:

Expect that's why there is no Amiga/ST Defender II in there either. 

No Photon Storm either though.. 

Fantastic to see K onix Multi-System

Attack of the Mutant Camels '89

included though. 

It's a shame, because Defender 2000 would be awesome with a widescreen patch or something like the performance patches they had for Tempest 2000.

Your ship is so much bigger and you move so much faster compared to Defender, Stargate, and Strike Force that even with the screen justification the series does, the biggest challenge for me is not just crashing into enemies and dying. And you don't damage enemies that are off-screen even if you can see them on the radar, so I just inch along instead of flying.

• Like 2

Photon Storm at the time reciieved some critidcm for it's repetive gameplay and lack of sophistication for a 16-bit title...

But I wonder if it was due to the game's control method, that it's not included? 

Being as it was, mouse-controlled, with the left button for fire, right for thrust., whilst holding  down fire you can rotate the direction of fire independent from the way you're heading. 

Boost and Smart Bombs mapped to keyboard 

Yeah, it would be nice to have a few more select titles on the compilation.  But, we are getting quite a few titles from lots of different machines.  I think the collection will be worth while.  And, hey, who's to say that they may not add more titles with an update or two a la Atari 50th?  It could happen.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Hwlngmad said:

Yeah, it would be nice to have a few more select titles on the compilation.  But, we are getting quite a few titles from lots of different machines.  I think the collection will be worth while.  And, hey, who's to say that they may not add more titles with an update or two a la Atari 50th?  It could happen.

Having struggled forever to get C64, VIC-20, and ST emulation to work without hours of trouble shooting, I'm more than content with what we have here. My experience is that emulating any home computer other than the ZX-Spectrum and DOS is absolute hell.

But more games is always cool.

Edited by Warboss Gegguz
  • Like 2

Also, just as an aside, Gridrunner++ and Hover Bovver 2 are both freeware and compatible with Windows 11 if anyone is interested in getting "as complete a collection as possible".

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/gridrunner-dhc

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/hover-bovver-2-grand-theft-flymo-mgq

Edited by Warboss Gegguz

5 minutes ago, zzip said:

ST emulation is pretty easy now, what part are you struggling with?

Well... I take it back.

Last time I tried using Hatari I remember it being a nightmare... but it worked fine now. Guess I was either really dumb at the time or theirs been QOL improvements.

I also think I may have been using Retroarch at the time (which I don't really like, but just use in cases where the Libretro core is the only best emulator/the one in active development) for ease of use, so that may have actually made things worse...which happens pretty often with Retroarch.

Honestly, I kind of hat retroarch on PC. And with stuff like Ares having better/equal Sega emulation to Blast'em and Picodrive, its become basically useless outside of MAME.

But I digress, yeah, seems like I was just a stupid kid at the time. :P I've been doing emulation since I was like 9 (which is the whole reason I'm into stuff like Atari), so sometimes I'm not always up-to-date.

I still stand by my take on Commodore emulation though (Vic-20, C64, and Amiga in particular). Whether it's dedicated programs or libretro, it's always a total crap-shoot for me. Either the controls don't work, there's a ton of disk/tape swapping, there's missing libraries, or some other unforeseen crap.

Respect to any british gamers out there who had to deal with this IRL and with actual cassette/floppy disc load times.

Ironically this whole aside is exactly why compilations like this, Atari 50, Atari Vault, Midway Treasures, Capcom's Collections, SNK Anniversary, Arcade Archives, etc. are appealing to me. I understand and can absolutely work with emulators, and hardly struggle with 90% of the software out there... but sometimes it's just nice to NOT have to.

Like, Stella, Altirra, and Prosystem are great and easy to work, but MAME is a pain in the ass and the emulation quality varies (understandably so). So being able to just run a program and play shit is nice.

As of late, Digital Eclipse has been nailing it. Code Mystics and (even more so) M2 are still the gold standards to me, but DE's quality is WAY less variable than it was in the 2000s.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Warboss Gegguz said:

Well... I take it back.

Last time I tried using Hatari I remember it being a nightmare... but it worked fine now. Guess I was either really dumb at the time or theirs been QOL improvements.

I also think I may have been using Retroarch at the time (which I don't really like, but just use in cases where the Libretro core is the only best emulator/the one in active development) for ease of use, so that may have actually made things worse...which happens pretty often with Retroarch.

Ah OK,  in my experience Retroarch is great for console emulation, but getting the computer cores to work is annoying.   I was recently experimenting with the "DOSbox Pure" core which is supposed to streamline Dosbox, but I found it worse in every way to native DosBox-X

Anyway Hatari works great for ST emulation.  And their online manual is clear and concise and a good way to learn about features you didn't know it had!

9 hours ago, zzip said:

"Hardcore" is another Minter game I had on my ST, but don't see it on the list.   Maybe because it was mouse controlled?

image.png.0988503637eb128216cc3745a340c543.png

Probably because hardcore was never actually finished. He was GOING to finish it, but it happened the same time he got contracted to start work on the Jaguar so it never got past the Shareware stage.

Maybe in later update or as an extra like the prototypes in Atari 50? idk.

Either way it's not a mouse thing, because Super Gridrunner is also mouse controlled.

http://minotaurproject.co.uk/lc-16bit.php#2

image_2023-12-09_011052735.png

Edited by Warboss Gegguz
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, PFL said:

Does anyone know if any of the games are getting tweaked, at all?  I'd love to see Traxx for the VIC get decent controls! :)

I'd imagine so given they did as much for a lot of games in Atari 50. Granted, those were arcade games with weird controls, but then they also did stuff like add analog support to Tempest 2000 so 🤷‍♂️