IGNORED

Llamasoft: The Jeff Minter Story - new compilation announced!

boog

• 2 weeks later...

Only getting a digital release initially, physical version by LRG later. The only price announced so far is $29.99 on Switch. Other platforms will probably be the same.

As much as I want this collection, I won't pay that much for a digital game. LRG hasn't even announced pre-orders yet so it'll probably be a long wait...

• 2 weeks later...

I got the game on Switch today and I’ve only just started it but I’m already terribly disappointed because the audio is out of sync with the video in the documentary sections. It shouldn’t be so hard to make the audio play in sync with the video. Didn’t they master that decades ago?

4 minutes ago, Glorkbot said:

I got the game on Switch today and I’ve only just started it but I’m already terribly disappointed because the audio is out of sync with the video in the documentary sections. It shouldn’t be so hard to make the audio play in sync with the video. Didn’t they master that decades ago?

That’s a bummer and kind of ironic, considering how important music/audio is to his games. I’m still getting it because if anyone deserves a compilation like this, it’s him :)

9 hours ago, Glorkbot said:

Nintendo Life's review mentions it. You can temporarily fix it by rewinding a little with the L button but a patch is coming.

2 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Nintendo Life's review mentions it. You can temporarily fix it by rewinding a little with the L button but a patch is coming.

The NintendoLife review says the audio sync problems happened "occasionally" and "didn't happen often" but for me it's not occasionally...it's ALWAYS. And the trick of rewinding a little bit with the L button has absolutely no effect on the sync issue for me, it remains equally out-of-sync even after rewinding.

I guess I will just not use the software until they patch it. But it will be very hard to wait. I hope they patch it soon.

Edited by Glorkbot
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Glorkbot said:

I just downloaded the v1.0.2 patch on Switch but the audio still looks off to me in the video in the documentary sections.

The devs say this IS the fix. It still looks a tiny bit off to me, but I'll accept this as fixed I guess.

• Sad 1

On 3/15/2024 at 11:37 AM, Glorkbot said:

The devs say this IS the fix. It still looks a tiny bit off to me, but I'll accept this as fixed I guess.

I tried watching one of the documentary video clips in handheld mode and...it wasn't out of sync...which told me that the problem must've actually been with my TV. Checked my settings...and there was a setting in Game Mode that's meant to reduce input lag that turned out to be causing my audio sync problem. I turned that off and the problem disappeared.

Anyhow, that proves to me that the problem is fixed and I can 100% recommend this collection now. It's fantastic! I never played many of these games back in the day...but I read about them and always wondered what they might be like. They are CRAZY.

Edited by Glorkbot

Got this last Friday and it’s nearly everything I would have wanted. Worth £24.99 just to play Llamatron again, but there’s some gems in the C64 and Atari 8-bit stuff. I was hoping to have the Jag CD VLM in there - would have dug out some CDs for the PS5 for that, ah memories. Not a patch on T2K, but Defender 2000 was missed. I was hoping to get a shot at Space Giraffe without having to buy an Xbox, but I imagine there’s legalities behind that and D2K. The Minotaur Project gets mentioned, but where are the games?!? I got all of them on iPad, but they stopped working years ago. Still a version of Goat Up is in Minotaur Arcade so there’s hope for their resurrection. Defender 4000 or a new Llamatron would be aces in the future 😁

T2K was my introduction to Minter (and why I bought a Jag - first console I owned since the 2600) with Llanatron for DOS being my first game downloaded from the web (which got me busted at work because I couldn’t stop playing it 😂). 

1 hour ago, Sean_1970 said:

The Minotaur Project gets mentioned, but where are the games?!? I got all of them on iPad, but they stopped working years ago. Still a version of Goat Up is in Minotaur Arcade so there’s hope for their resurrection. Defender 4000 or a new Llamatron would be aces in the future 😁

I also think they should bring the Minotaur games to console. I did save an ipad running the old OS just so I can keep access to the Minotaur games, but I would gladly rebuy them for a new system.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Glorkbot said:

I also think they should bring the Minotaur games to console. I did save an ipad running the old OS just so I can keep access to the Minotaur games, but I would gladly rebuy them for a new system.

I tend to replace my kit, so I’m lacking them. The website is still active so I thought maybe they were updated to run on iPadOS, but sadly not the case…

On 3/19/2024 at 6:07 PM, Sean_1970 said:

was hoping to have the Jag CD VLM in there - would have dug out some CDs for the PS5 for that, ah memories.

I've read that the PS5 (and PS4) can't even play audio CDs,  though I haven't tried it myself.

• Sad 1

On 3/19/2024 at 6:07 PM, Sean_1970 said:

I was hoping to have the Jag CD VLM in there - would have dug out some CDs for the PS5 for that, ah memories.

Grab the Big P Emulator standalone for PC.  I can help you with a shortcut that launches the emulator pre-configured to launch the VLM and "pipe" your PCs audio straight to it.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 7:42 PM, Glorkbot said:

This seems like a missed opportunity for sure. I understand why they cut it off at Tempest 2000 but he's had a lot of interesting years afterwards...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Do tell...

8 hours ago, jgkspsx said:
19 hours ago, Stephen said:

Grab the Big P Emulator standalone for PC.  I can help you with a shortcut that launches the emulator pre-configured to launch the VLM and "pipe" your PCs audio straight to it.

Do tell...

1. Grab the emulator from here - https://www.richwhitehouse.com/jaguar/
  2. Create a bat file with the following content - BigPEmu.exe *VirtualDisc_SystemAudio -audiocapindex 5

The * tells the emulator to not launch a ROM and also prevents the splash screen from displaying.  The 5 will be different on each system.  To find the appropriate number, in the emulator go into System, choose Mount Images, Virtual Discs, System Audio Disc.  Pick the audio device that your audio plays through (the count starts at 1).

Now just use that bat file to launch the emulator.  With audio playing on the PC, run the VLM as normal.  Hit B which is the Play button for VLM.

• Thanks 1

I got it, because I was curious about the new Akka Arrh, and got it bundled with Jeff Minter Story + Tempest 4000.

I only have to say that 90+ % of what this Minter fellow made is utterly beside my area of interest.

I can take some Tempest (the ‘4000’ is already dated in production quality by now, but is okeyish) and Akka Arrh  seems pretty fun, even if my immediate feel is that it could’ve been easily improved.

But I may need to play through it.

I remember back in my C64 days, stumbling upon those mutant-camel whatever titles, trying them … twice and never coming back to stuff that feels pretty meaningless or confused, without any hint of humor or background story that feels inviting (to persons like me).

This compilation was not for me.

I hoped that at least this Grid Runner Remake would be updated as much as to make it into my zone of acceptance, but - not for me.

It’s like; Atari just got some IPs obtained from here and there, one of them being TumbleBug, which is cute, colorful, charming, intuitive, nice-looking, feelgood playing (can, and probably will play it for hours), neat-sounding … 

… but hey, no-one notices, its not fameous enough among the fame-knowers … or something.

TumbleBug the Obscure, is in my unhumble and dead-honest opinion several magnitutes better than much of the historically relevant gaming-lessons that I’d have to go through in Minter History (which I won’t because I have enough self respect to not über-waste my own time)

I already have Tempest. Cool. He nailed that one.

Akka Arrh is a very interesting remake which I’ll play through, even if I already feel I know that 2 major categories should’ve been improved significantly.

Guess, I should’ve stuck to my gut-feeling, not let my mind be bundlized blind by getting 3 for the price of 2,78 games.

My mistake.

Minter stuff  -  with 2 exceptions: not for me.

My personal game-Oscar goes to….

TUMBLEBUG

For being a game that is actually goodlooking, good sounding, charming, fun, addictive, wellproduced, intuitive, plays like a dream, and is for everyone.…. despite being unknown and unfameous …

In Minter History it’s hard to find even one contender for any of the above.

And I write this in this way, - since I actually spent money on it… 

I shall be fair… Akka Arrh was much more of a fun, straightforward turret ‘n aim shooter than many reviewers made it sound like.

Edited by Giles N

1 hour ago, Giles N said:

I got it, because I was curious about the new Akka Arrh, and got it bundled with Jeff Minter Story + Tempest 4000.

I only have to say that 90+ % of what this Minter fellow made is utterly beside my area of interest.

No need to apologize, everybody has different tastes in most things, else the world would be a boring place.  May I ask though - when did you become aware of Minter or Llamasoft?  You can in no way compare what he was doing from 1978 through 1990, with his modern stuff running on powerful systems.  I would say that Tempest 2000 on the Jaguar was definitely a pivotal point for him in his overall style.

For me, I knew of him since probably 1985, but I missed his Vic-20, C64 stuff and much of the 16-bit era so this look back was a great experience for me.  That being said, I bought it for the historical footage.  There's not a game on the compilation I would actually sit and play with the exception of the newer Gridrunner.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Stephen said:

when did you become aware of Minter or Llamasoft? 

…when D.E. released this compilation.

Prior to that I only knew about freestanding titles which I would not have seen as being related at all.

Mutant Camel for C64 - ok, some early C64 titles were pretty dreadful, both as to gameplay design, concept and production-quality.

I don’t remember my dislike for Mutant Camel 1 & 2 being about poor coding/production, but how annoyingly messy and messed-up, quasi-meaningless and semi-random every element in the game-concept seemed to be… without anything coming across to me as conveing as sense of comedy or humor, just like the game-makers were overbored and lazy and just imported images of things they’d seen pictures of and learned to draw to the degree it couid be recognized in general shape.

…and not a single thing about came across to me as being ‘cool n trippy’.

Every single thing in there was just uncool-period. 
I must have been 11, loved games like Ghost n Goblins, Commando, Afterburner, Jail Break, Out Run, Buggy Boy… stuff that felt obviously meaningful, cool, fun and easy to enter or embrace in fantasy or as story to interact with, not something that seemed to be put together of stuff randomly picked from books or television programs at a whim from absent mindedness.

So this must have landed within my 11-year old mind like   ‘what kind of shitgame is this and what kind of absolute morons made up this crappy setting? Why the hell do I have to be a f******-damn  camel  shooting at all this meaningless crap-shit flying around?’ *  …to which my 11 year old self (who btw, tended to think along lines of brutal honesty if things just got too annoyingly bad), -  just ended the game, and loaded the next on the tape (hoping I could remember where on the tape it was as to avoid it in he future, and get straight to the cool and fun stuff).
Yes… I know back then, lots and lots of low-quality stuff floating around on tapes and discs, but I never understood why people would demolish potentially good games with chosing to draw crap-graphics and deliberately choose to make crap-story designs.

I’m still very much like that, I just tell myself in somewhat more mature tone ‘its not for me, not made for my type of personality and I’ll never understand every other game/art/music/entertainment-taste out there.’ 

* an attempt to realistically render in what terms I used to think back then 

Edited by Giles N

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

There's not a game on the compilation I would actually sit and play with the exception of the newer Gridrunner.

Totally get that one!

Unfortunately I didn’t like the new Grid Runner either; it just wasn’t fun or exciting.

Felt stiff, looks boring for an update, as to sound - I just didn’t notice what it was, before I turned it off.

I’m playing Akka Arrh now, - and despite the sound and music being not very good and the enemy-designs so far boring but at least meaningful, it plays very sharp and smooth. 

Guess Tempest-xxxx and Akka Arrh are my take-aways from this fellow.

Edited by Giles N

• 2 weeks later...

Something interesting is going on...

I purchased the game, and I was going to use the various tools out there to see if I could easily extract the rom images from the game.

While the game menu only lists ONE Jaguar title (Tempest 2000), there appear to be roms for Jaguar versions of Gridrunner, Llamatron2112, and Revenge of the Mutant Camels inside... two versions of the Llamatron2112 rom, actually.

Now I'm wondering if these are supposed to be unlockables or if I just missed something somewhere...