IGNORED

Llamasoft: The Jeff Minter Story - new compilation announced!

boog

On a Jeff related aside, I hope with this coming out we could also maybe get some patches for Tempest 4000 at the very least if not for Space Giraffe and GRRev as well.

The latter run fine but are definitely a bit dated (the last update was pre-2010), but T4K doesn't run on any external GPUs. It crashes at launch on anything other than integrated graphics cards. And that then results in missing assets poor performance (even on my i9 system).

I've had to resort rather comically to emulating the Switch version on Yuzu/Ryujinx to fix things like powerups appearing as just green shadows.

I'm also hoping we eventually get the rest of the Minotaur Project games given they're delisted on iOS. There are beta versions of MOST of them for android on Llamasoft's official website, but ports akin to Minotaur Arcade would be sick.

I'm aware this is totally out of the hands of Digital Eclipse, I'm mostly just waxing about Yak in general. I ADORE the dude's work, and as such I want to be able to take in as much as I can as best I can.

Hancock just clued me in that this was a thing. About fell out of my chair.

Man, talk about the best idea for a collection I never saw coming. Yak has been in my top 5 'arcade' style game devs for decades. The guy just gets how to make games that trigger that same level of addictive, overwhelming intensity that classics like Defender, Sinistar and Robotron do.

And since Jeff is so prolific, and programmed stuff for so many platforms, having a one stop shop for most of his best games will be amazing. Sure I've got a Batocera box with most of the games, over like 10 consoles, but having it all in one say, Switch game complete with interviews, history etc? Sign me up.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lord Thag said:

The guy just gets how to make games that trigger that same level of addictive, overwhelming intensity that classics like Defender, Sinistar and Robotron do.

Jeff is a huge Eugene Jarvis and Dave Theurer fan, so it checks out. There's even a line in Moose Life that refers to the effects of enemas exploding as "Jarvis Pixels".

I also appreciate the surreal/absurdist "UK" humor in everything he makes. It's that good Dali/Magritte kind of weird, not the pretentious kind of weird. Basically shitposting with class.

Same reasons he was a perfect choice to make a Polybius "remake". Just visual epilepsy and cryptic humor on top of an awesome arcade shooter.

Edited by Warboss Gegguz
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Warboss Gegguz said:

Jeff is a huge Eugene Jarvis and Dave Theurer fan, so it checks out. There's even a line in Moose Life that refers to the effects of enemas exploding as "Jarvis Pixels".

I also appreciate the surreal/absurdist "UK" humor in everything he makes. It's that good Dali/Magritte kind of weird, not the pretentious kind of weird. Basically shitposting with class.

Same reasons he was a perfect choice to make a Polybius "remake". Just visual epilepsy and cryptic humor on top of an awesome arcade shooter.

Yeah for sure. He's not pretentious at all, like you said, he just kinda seems to have that specifically UK brand of 'I take nothing seriously' humor, on top of a genuinely cool personality. I've never heard anyone complain about working with him. His love of ungulates is endearing too. Who would have thought a guy who makes crazy, psychedelic llama games in the Atari era would still be making them in 2024?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, SparkleFork said:

I would love to see Tempest 3000 up and running on this but I get that would be a big ask. Also Space Giraffe needs a bigger audience than it got and Minotaur Rescue needs to be ummm...rescued from it's IOS hell.

I keep hoping his next project is a Minotaur Collection Vol. 2, since there's so many games that are still iOS exclusive and no longer compatible with iOS because apple gives 0 shits about backwards compatibility.

Say what you want about Microsoft and/or how much it bloats up the installs of Windows 10/11, at least they actually bothered to make them backwards compatible with 32bit software to some extent.

The Beta-android versions of Super Ox War, Caverns of Minos, Five A Day, and Goat Up and the proper final version of of Gridrunner are up on the Llamasoft site as donationware (which PLEASE give Jeff money) but even that's not the full game list. Also, just having them on PC with an actual controller would be way better regardless.

Like, I'll take straight ports FFS, I don't even need voxel remakes.

I've never had an iOS device so outside of the android and PC ports I've never been able to play them.

Edited by Warboss Gegguz
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Warboss Gegguz said:

I keep hoping his next project is a Minotaur Collection Vol. 2, since there's so many games that are still iOS exclusive and no longer compatible with iOS because apple gives 0 shits about backwards compatibility.

Say what you want about Microsoft and/or how much it bloats up the installs of Windows 10/11, at least they actually bothered to make them backwards compatible with 32bit software to some extent.

The Beta-android versions of Super Ox War, Caverns of Minos, Five A Day, and Goat Up and the proper final version of of Gridrunner are up on the Llamasoft site as donationware (which PLEASE give Jeff money) but even that's not the full game list. Also, just having them on PC with an actual controller would be way better regardless.

Like, I'll take straight ports FFS, I don't even need voxel remakes.

I've never had an iOS device so outside of the android and PC ports I've never been able to play them.

Minotaur Rescue was such a gem. I hate touch screen controls usually but it felt really good with just the right amount of inertia and it had a 2600 art style going on. It's the only mobile phone game I really loved.

Did you ever play Goat Up in VR? It sounds like a ridiculous fit but it worked so well. I still lament that amazing Tempest 4000 VR build that Jeff demoed at gaming expos that Atari pulled the plug on. Akka Arrh would have really benefitted from that as well. 

Just got a copy of Edge magazine at Barnes & Noble since it is the 30th anniversary issue, imagine my surprise when there is a full Llamasoft profile and interview in there! Mintersaid he's working on another classic Atari title and he's basically done with Tempest games(unless they do a VR version). He talked VR quite a bit, so would not be surprised to see more VR projects from him going forward. Also interesting studio dynamics with him meeting his partner(personal and technical) in the runup to the Xbox 360 visualizer project.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 10:46 PM, GraffitiTavern said:

Just got a copy of Edge magazine at Barnes & Noble since it is the 30th anniversary issue, imagine my surprise when there is a full Llamasoft profile and interview in there! Mintersaid he's working on another classic Atari title and he's basically done with Tempest games(unless they do a VR version). He talked VR quite a bit, so would not be surprised to see more VR projects from him going forward. Also interesting studio dynamics with him meeting his partner(personal and technical) in the runup to the Xbox 360 visualizer project.

Went looking today, only found the last remaining copy of issue #392. 

Picked it up on a whim and because it had an interview with  Silent Hill creator, Keiichiro Toyama. 

Nice interview, but at £6.50 for the magazine, on the back of a very expensive Christmas, would of loved to of found the issue with the interview with Jeff in it instead 😭

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Zeptari said:

Let the speculation begin. 😆 Wasn't he working on a Star Raiders game on the Jaguar years ago.. I'd like to see him continue that. 

I know after T2K he asked Atari to let him do either Major Havoc, or I, Robot.  I'd love to his take on either of those.

17 hours ago, Zeptari said:

Let the speculation begin. 😆 Wasn't he working on a Star Raiders game on the Jaguar years ago.. I'd like to see him continue that. 

Just put a newer post up, with the source information, in case you would like to try and find the full interview with Jeff. 

Edited by Lostdragon

16 hours ago, Stephen said:

I know after T2K he asked Atari to let him do either Major Havoc, or I, Robot.  I'd love to his take on either of those.

😊 It was more a case of Atari asking Jeff if he'd like to do Major Havoc 2000,as prior to being asked, he'd never played the original. 

Tal Funke-Bilu:

Jeff did meet Eugene Jarvis and even had him sign his Defender backglass (whic
I gave to him :) ). Jeff would love to do Defender 2000. Atari would love to
have him do Major Havoc. Sam Tramiel seemed very excited about Major Havoc
when I spoke with him in Sunnyvale and at Chicago. Nothing is set in stone.

And.. 

Jeff Minter
5/20/94
I'm currently thinking about what to do for my next game on the Jaguar,
and one title Atari have offered me is Major Havoc. I know it was a
Tempest conversion kit, but I never saw one. I'd *really* like to play
it to find out whether I'd enjoy doing a 2000 version. I was wondering
if anyone on this group knows of a functioning MH machine in California,
preferably as near as possible to Sunnyvale, where I shall be for a
couple of weeks from 6 June; I'd really like to have a session on it.
Alternatively, or additionally, if anyone out there knew the game well
and can remember enough about it to mail me a *detailed* description of
the gameplay, that would also be a great help. Opinions etc. about the
game from ex-players also appreciated. Would you like to see me do it on
the Jag?
TIA,

\
(:-)
/

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Zeptari said:

If you can find a copy:

EDGE issue 120 (Unity on front cover, Minter Returns etc).4 Page 'Inside Llamasoft' feature (P46 onwards).Jeff talks about  the Panther hardware and how he coded various demo's on it for his 'space game with Star Raider-y aspects....influenced by Iain M Banks Culture Novels, which he was heavily into at the time') the leaping Antelope demo for example was basicaly a test routine for his planned 'planet surface' scrolling sequence.

19 hours ago, Stephen said:

My memory is hazy on I, Robot and Jeff.. 

I remember a good few people saying the Jaguar hardware was the ideal fit for an update/conversion of the original and Jeff would be the ideal candidate to handle the coding, but i can't remember Jeff himself saying it was a title he wanted to do. 

I know he talked of how an updated ST/Amiga version of Virus (Zarch on the Acorn A3000) could be done on the system.. 

How Llamatron 2000 could be done.. 

He said he 'hungered' to  do Sinistar on the system.

People were constantly giving Jeff suggestions of what to code next.. 

".. Well, I now have requests for Defender/Stargate/Defender II, Qix, Super Llamatron and
Gauntlet 2000... that'd keep me busy for awhile..." 

\
/

Edited by Lostdragon

23 hours ago, Stephen said:

If anyone is qualified to do a reboot/remake of I, Robot, it's Jeff Minter.

Maybe a remake/homage to Cube Quest too, just to complete the trinity of trippy, surreal, abstract, and weird Golden Age Arcade games.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Warboss Gegguz said:

If anyone is qualified to do a reboot/remake of I, Robot, it's Jeff Minter.

Maybe a remake/homage to Cube Quest too, just to complete the trinity of trippy, surreal, abstract, and weird Golden Age Arcade games.

Well, it looks like Jeff was inundated with suggestions of what to do, during his Jaguar development days.. 

".. Frogger 2000 is certainly an interesting
idea. First-person from the frog's eye view perhaps? (With an option
to play in classic overhead mode natch). Personally I think Frog Bog
2K could be fun, while we're in an amphibious state of mind...

As for Sinistar, it's just an idea at the mo', I haven't talked to my
producer or anything yet. I know they're keen on Havoc2K. Again,
maybe drinkies with the right people might yield some further insight
as to the Sinipossibility.

- Y a K (out of the apartment, in a big new house with potential for
keeping llamas, and listening to a thumping new stereo :):) )"

\
/

5/10/95

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Too bad the iOS games are not on this collection…they were great. I think I still have an iPad with an old OS installed and a few of those games on it…at least until its battery dies or something. But it would be great to have them ported.

Still it’s probably my most anticipated release of the year, I haven’t played most of the games on the list.

• Like 1

For those looking for Edge magazine back issues, I’ve just noticed that it’s included in Apple News+

https://apple.news/TGOu66bD4QB6iN5Oj_TQcJQ

though I couldn’t find the Minter interview in issue #392?

edit: Issue #393: https://apple.news/INa1-NfVxQLuG54VdScjIuw

Sidenote: I remember watching Jeff demoing Colourspace on the Atari ST at a computer con back in the 80s in London. He was a master of course and looked like he was having a good time. :)

Edited by robus
  • Like 1